Alabama Begging for 2015 Opponent

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
http://post original url/thOdXujtxP

Reaction Score
We only have Nova, Army and BYU OOC next year right? That leaves room for Bama unless we are going to 9 conference games. Let's get a home and home Warde!

Reaction Score
We only have Nova, Army and BYU OOC next year right? That leaves room for Bama unless we are going to 9 conference games. Let's get a home and home Warde!

I'd love to see a home and home with Bama, but they're one of those elitist schools that will demand a nuetral site because they don't wanna "ruin" their SOS by playing us at home. Because playing UConn at The Rent is not as good as playing Vandy in Tennessee, Kentucky at Kentucky or Arkansas at Arkansas. You know that meat grinder of a schedule outside of A&M, LSU and Auburn.

Reaction Score
Lets go to Bama. At this point it doesn't matter to have a home and home. Any national exposure would be great! You never know, upsets really help put teams on the map and the "play any one at any time" mindset doesn't hurt either when conferences are looking for a new football team!

Reaction Score
Isn't 2015 where Tennessee left a hole in our schedule? The question, is not if Warde's been on the phone yet, it's what he's been doing to get a return game at say - Yankee Stadium - for UCONN going to Tuscaloosa.

Hell, nevermind dangling that first, if they're that desperate, go all in for the home and home at Rentschler.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bama made it clear years ago ---- they aint coming north. they are looking for a home game only. They will not consider a multi-game series w/us, unless all games are played there. I would consider a 1 and done only if HCBD thinks it'd be worthwhile in Y2 of his program. He may want a few years of developing talent before taking on a perennial top 5 team on the road

Reaction Score
Bama made it clear years ago ---- they aint coming north. they are looking for a home game only. They will not consider a multi-game series w/us, unless all games are played there. I would consider a 1 and done only if HCBD thinks it'd be worthwhile in Y2 of his program. He may want a few years of developing talent before taking on a perennial top 5 team on the road

What I just read online, says that Battle is considering home and homes to get it done. I would hope that Manuel has been made aware of this, and is in contact. Another SEC program a few months ago left a big hole in our schedules for 2015 and 2016.

Reaction Score
Why am I under the impression that 'Bama would sooner schedule an inter-squad scrimmage than give any further credibility to a Group of Five conference school?:rolleyes:

Hey - if desperation is being put out there - you pounce and see how much you can get. Simple as that. Having Alabama on the schedule in any shape or form would be good for UCONN, but why think small?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Hey - if desperation is being put out there - you pounce and see how much you can get. Simple as that. Having Alabama on the schedule in any shape or form would be good for UCONN, but why think small?
By all means, tires should be kicked. I am just keeping my expectations in check, given past events.

What's Manuel's Twitter handle? Is it verified? If he has one, I don't think he uses it much.

Reaction Score
By all means, tires should be kicked. I am just keeping my expectations in check, given past events.

What's Manuel's Twitter handle? Is it verified? If he has one, I don't think he uses it much.

UCONN people read this website all the time, if Manuel doesn't know about this already I'd be surprised - but the more people that get in touch, the better.

Reaction Score
Home and home may be ambitious, but if diaco is cool with it, why not just a. Money game?

Very ambitious. I don't think Bama has played an away game in the north since the mid 1970's except for ND, PSU, and "the school that will not be named" during their mighty mite eruption.

Reaction Score
Very ambitious. I don't think Bama has played an away game in the north since the mid 1970's except for ND, PSU, and "the school that will not be named" during their mighty mite eruption.

Michigan hadn't played a road game like they did at UCONN in a very long time too. Just because something hasn't happened in a long time, doesn't mean it can't happen.

Look - I'll put it this way, if the Alabama athletic director is willing to give statemetns to national sports writers like "Right now, we'd take anybody.", and have commetns run like "not sure if home and home is feasible because everybody for 2015 is scheduled......"

Well, everybody is NOT scheduled for 2015 AD Battle.

I'd be disappointed frankly, if Manuel didn't try to get a home and home out of this. My first reaction was - go and play in Tuscaloosa, but when I started reading the comments....

Reaction Score
Again I would love to see a home and neutral game if possible, but I think showing our mentality to play anyone anywhere would really show we are serious about football. Especially since this game is next year and not in 2020 like some of these other home and homes we are scheduling.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Michigan hadn't played a road game like they did at UCONN in a very long time too. Just because something hasn't happened in a long time, doesn't mean it can't happen.

Look - I'll put it this way, if the Alabama athletic director is willing to give statemetns to national sports writers like "Right now, we'd take anybody.", and have commetns run like "not sure if home and home is feasible because everybody for 2015 is scheduled."

I'd be disappointed frankly, if Manuel didn't try to get a home and home out of this. My first reaction was - go and play in Tuscaloosa, but when I started reading the comments....
Cautiously optimistic, Carl, that a phone call will be made. Not as much that an agreement will be reached. "Bama should be very receptive until they see that UConn is 1-0 in Alabama over the last 5 years vs. a BCS team, no less.

Reaction Score
Again I would love to see a home and neutral game if possible, but I think showing our mentality to play anyone anywhere would really show we are serious about football. Especially since this game is next year and not in 2020 like some of these other home and homes we are scheduling.

It's more than that though - we have a scheduling fit in September 2015, because of Tennessee suspending the scheduled series a few months ago. They have contract issues with UCONN that need to be cleaned up. That kind of ability and opportunity to talk and schedule and slide into a scheduling opening is a pretty rare right now in scheduling. If I'm Manuel, I'm asking for a conference call with the AD's at Tennessee and Alabama and figuring out a way to make everybody's issues a win-win.

Reaction Score

Look - I'll put it this way, if the Alabama athletic director is willing to give statemetns to national sports writers like "Right now, we'd take anybody.", and have commetns run like "not sure if home and home is feasible because everybody for 2015 is scheduled."

Carl,
Anything is possible, but the last line of the article tells me that Bama is looking to offer someone a payday one and done. Don't be surprised if one of our AAC mates in FL or TX finds a way to work it into their schedule.

Reaction Score
Carl,
Anything is possible, but the last line of the article tells me that Bama is looking to offer someone a payday one and done. Don't be surprised if one of our AAC mates in FL or TX finds a way to work it into their schedule.

That's why Manuel should be on the phone right now. UCONN has a lot to offer scheduling wise and negotiating. Not only do we have the ideal opening for 2015. We have some basketball programs that SEC basketball might just be interested in becoming involved with.

I would be happy with a one and done road trip, already wrote that - and that was my first inclination as to what would be possible until I started reading what the AD at Alabama has actually allowed to go out to national press. I would hate to lose out on the opportunity to play there. I hope Manuel isn't sipping a drink on the beach in the Virgin Islands. wink wink.

Reaction Score
Bama will not play a home-and-home w/UConn. You need to understand their history/psyche - they came up years ago and lost and have publicly vowed to never it do again, but I am sure they would make an exception to play in East Hartford in front of 42,500 (including portable seats). I mean which top 10 team would pass that up

Reaction Score
I re-read the article - the most interesting statement to me was this

“We've called everybody we know,” Battle responded.

Either he called us and we passed or he doesn't know we exist. I'm trying to figure out which is the worse scenario for us

Husky25

Reaction Score

Either he called us and we passed or he doesn't know we exist. I'm trying to figure out which is the worse scenario for us
The latter. That is why Mr. Manuel needs to be dialing 205. Don't get distressed about the busy signal, Warde. Keep on trying.

Reaction Score

My guess is that he doesn't know we exist. Which is why I'd request a conference call with the Tennessee AD. I've read that he requested help from the SEC and ESPN as well. I'd be curious to know if the AD at Tennessee was contacted, and if so, if he told Battle that he suspended our September home and home series for 2015 and 2016 without a definite future date yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom