Alabama Begging for 2015 Opponent | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Alabama Begging for 2015 Opponent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bama will not play a home-and-home w/UConn. You need to understand their history/psyche - they came up years ago and lost and have publicly vowed to never it do again, but I am sure they would make an exception to play in East Hartford in front of 42,500 (including portable seats). I mean which top 10 team would pass that up

Negotiations can sometimes end up with very unexpected results. The only way Alabama will never play at Rentschler, is if nobody ever asks them to. That's the only thing that is 100% certain.

Reaction Score
If it is true that the AD of Bama does not know we exist and has not called, then frankly we need to get very, very comfortable with the following 3 letters in the exact order - A A C. That might be the most frightening thing I've heard about our chances of someday playing in a P5 conference

Reaction Score
There is another possibility here, and that is that Manuel has been in touch, but already has something else pretty far along in the works to replace at least, the September 2015 date we no longer have with Tennessee.

Although I can't imagine what would be there, that would create hesitation on scheduling Alabama.

Reaction Score
If it is true that the AD of Bama does not know we exist and has not called, then frankly we need to get very, very comfortable with the following 3 letters in the exact order - A A C. That might be the most frightening thing I've heard about our chances of someday playing in a P5 conference

No - the most frightening thing would be that Manuel has no knowledge of this scheduling opportunity to pursue, has done nothing, adn will do nothing to pursue it, and is sitting somewhere eating donuts.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I would do disgusting things to get Bama on our football schedule. Make this happen Warde. Don't care if its just a one off but I think we could easily do a game in Tuscaloosa next year, with their bball team coming to Storrs, then work out at a later date a "kick off classic" type game in one of the bigger NFL stadiums around here if Bama wouldn't play us in the Rent.

Edit- forgot to mention that we would give them a home bball game in 2014/2016

Reaction Score
Bama will not play a home-and-home w/UConn. You need to understand their history/psyche - they came up years ago and lost and have publicly vowed to never it do again, but I am sure they would make an exception to play in East Hartford in front of 42,500 (including portable seats). I mean which top 10 team would pass that up

The psyche of Bama fans is as fragile as that of our BB fans. Many fans of my age around here are still stunned at losing two straight to "the school that will not be named" Even worse is that one of them was at Legion field the location for their big games, at that time, since it was larger than Bryant/Denny.

Reaction Score
Hell - get a name around the game - after all it'd be the premiere basketball program of the past 15 years against the premiere football program of the last 15 years. Coin it the champions classic and include basketball, both sides and get a baseball series in there for good measure.

Reaction Score
Looking at the schedules, Alabama wants a home game - to go with what's been said here so far in this discussion, It's my opinion that there is a much greater chance that they would come to Rentschler field and play a game at some point in the future, before they would agree to play a 6 home 6 road schedule. They already have a neutral site game and have something happening with Colorado State, that doesn't look like it's locked in as a home game. They are looking for a home game for 2015. I'd bank on it.

For us, if we were to slide in to their 2015 opening, and play on the road in 2015, we would have another year of 6 home and 6 road games - which isn't something new for UCONN, but something that we had hopefully put behind us. Giving up a home game to go 6 and 6 home/away on the schedule is a pretty big deal. There is a lot to put out there on the table to talk about.

Reaction Score
Hell - get a name around the game - after all it'd be the premiere basketball program of the past 15 years against the premiere football program of the last 15 years. Coin it the champions classic and include basketball, both sides and get a baseball series in there for good measure.

As much as I would love to see the Huskies running out on the field at Bryant/Denny, I can't see it happening. Bama fans I know (which is a lot) have complained about the OOC home schedule for several years and, despite our BB prowess, would see a UConn FB game as a step below any of the TX or FL AAC teams. Heck most would rather play Tulane where there at least some ancient history and could therefore justify the game.

Reaction Score
Looking at the schedules, Alabama wants a home game - to go with what's been said here so far in this discussion, It's my opinion that there is a much greater chance that they would come to Rentschler field and play a game at some point in the future, before they would agree to play a 6 home 6 road schedule. They already have a neutral site game and have something happening with Colorado State, that doesn't look like it's locked in as a home game. They are looking for a home game for 2015. I'd bank on it.

For us, if we were to slide in to their 2015 opening, and play on the road in 2015, we would have another year of 6 home and 6 road games - which isn't something new for UCONN, but something that we had hopefully put behind us. Giving up a home game to go 6 and 6 home/away on the schedule is a pretty big deal. There is a lot to put out there on the table to talk about.

Actually they want a game in 2015. We should try to get a home and home and then pocket the buyout when they cancel.

Reaction Score
One of you "insiders" need to email this to Warde, thanks in advance.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I could be off base here but I am interpreting the "will consider home and home" as stating "this has to be a game that will not out too much of a dent in our strength of schedule, even if this means an extra road game in the future".

One reality of the new playoff format is that schools that believe they have a shot at the title will not consider an opponent that could kill their SOS.

Reaction Score
Very ambitious. I don't think Bama has played an away game in the north since the mid 1970's except for ND, PSU, and "the school that will not be named" during their mighty mite eruption.

They played BC in Foxboro (old place), in the rain, during the Flutie years. Kenny Bell (Greenwich HS) had a 100 yard+ game for BC. BC might have won, but I don't remember.

Reaction Score
I could be off base here but I am interpreting the "will consider home and home" as stating "this has to be a game that will not out too much of a dent in our strength of schedule, even if this means an extra road game in the future".

One reality of the new playoff format is that schools that believe they have a shot at the title will not consider an opponent that could kill their SOS.

I interpreted that as how desperate he was.

Reaction Score
I haven't read the entire thread, so apologies if this was already covered, but my take is that the only way they sign a home and home with UConn is if we play there next year, and they get 5-6 years to buy out the game for less than it would take for them to pay someone else for a one game series.

Or, the "return" game is played in Dallas or maybe FedEx, and in August or early September.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
FfldCntyFan said:

That's not meant for us. It's meant for other "national" programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom