Alabama Begging for 2015 Opponent | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Alabama Begging for 2015 Opponent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So 1 year removed from Michigan at Rentschler and 'we're not going to get a home game against any top echelon program.' Well, we got THE WINNINGEST program in history to come to Rentschler so not sure I follow here....

Exactly, we just follow the same template with Bama. They are desperate for game like Michigan was. Make the same deal. Maybe we make the the return game at Yankee Stadium. But a one-off, no.

Reaction Score
People Bringing Up Michigan Must Think Games Are Scheduled Like Two Weeks In Advance. Illinois, Indiana, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Iowa State Etc, Are Gonna Be As Good As It Gets For Home And Homes With P5 Schools Coming To Rentschler.

Reaction Score
Exactly, we just follow the same template with Bama. They are desperate for game like Michigan was. Make the same deal. Maybe we make the the return game at Yankee Stadium. But a one-off, no.

omg, are you insane? This is like that entire "hold Notre Dame's feet to the fire" ridiculousness of a few years ago. And NEWSFLASH we are in a worse position now conference-wise. Put home-and-home on the flagpole, but DO THE ONE-AND-DONE.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
omg, are you insane? This is like that entire "hold Notre Dame's feet to the fire" ridiculousness of a few years ago. And NEWSFLASH we are in a worse position now conference-wise. Put home-and-home on the flagpole, but DO THE ONE-AND-DONE.

They are desperate, why not use that leverage?

Reaction Score

That's just ridiculous. Others have already stated the reasons why. Completely different environment for UConn football today versus 4 or 5 years ago.

Reaction Score
Does anyone think if this happens Diaco might have a big chip on his shoulder about how his defense was manhandled in ND in the NC game?

Personally, I think Diaco, if a game were to present itself, would be fired up and have this team motivated to play against Alabama. Not saying are going to pull off an upset, although I'll be routing for one, but I think UConn could keep the game respectable at the very least.

Reaction Score
They are desperate, why not use that leverage?

believe me, they are not THAT desperate, and there's a list of other schools with openings (read the article)

Reaction Score
Does anyone think if this happens Diaco might have a big chip on his shoulder about how his defense was manhandled in ND in the NC game?

Personally, I think Diaco, if a game were to present itself, would be fired up and have this team motivated to play against Alabama. Not saying are going to pull off an upset, although I'll be routing for one, but I think UConn could keep the game respectable at the very least.

It's always fun when people are able to predict hypothetical games that are almost 2 years away from happening.

Reaction Score
It's always fun when people are able to predict hypothetical games that are almost 2 years away from happening.

I'm merely saying the HCBD seems to be a pretty darn good motivator and would probably use ND's performance as fodder in the locker room. If UConn were to play Alabama, the most likely outcome is Alabama is going to dominate the line of scrimmage like it always does and blow us out. Everyone predicted that UConn was going to get blown out by Michigan last year, but despite the predictions and a coach 15 years past his prime, UConn game out and played fairly well for a good portion of that game. I firmly believe that the only reason it was a loss was because of PP and GDL's lack of in game adjustments and attention to detail. Plus it was no predicition, only my thought process.

Reaction Score
I'm merely saying the HCBD seems to be a pretty darn good motivator and would probably use ND's performance as fodder in the locker room. If UConn were to play Alabama, the most likely outcome is Alabama is going to dominate the line of scrimmage like it always does and blow us out. Everyone predicted that UConn was going to get blown out by Michigan last year, but despite the predictions and a coach 15 years past his prime, UConn game out and played fairly well for a good portion of that game. I firmly believe that the only reason it was a loss was because of PP and GDL's lack of in game adjustments and attention to detail. Plus it was no predicition, only my thought process.

Diaco's defense was shredded by Bama because ND was simply out manned and out classed. Everyone that had any knowledge of college football knew that game was going to be ugly. They got their pants pulled down. There's no shame in that. Diaco couldn't rouse that locker room to get motivated for a NC game yet he's work his magic with a UConn team in Tuscaloosa? Hey I hope you're right.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
"We called everybody we know"...Alabama AD

I'm going to take a shot at speculating what the AD means "we know". "We know'.(1) has a name that resonates with Alabama football fans (2) is a school that has long proven to be able to compete with "brand name" BCS schools (3) has a good traveling fan base.

Because of those speculated "we know" assumptions, I doubt UConn is on his e-mail listings under a grouping titled "potential OOC contests". However, I agree with John Green, if an AAC conference matchup is being considered, it will probably be a team from Florida (proximity) and/or Texas. My guess would be UCF.

Heck, Penn State chooses to play UCF over UConn in England. ..or Pennsylvania. I'll bet its for the same "we know" reasons.

Can't blame UConn AD or administration if Alabama has no interest in UConn...everyone (including fans) has skin in the "bad perception" criteria.

Lol at all in here thinking Bama wants to find a decent opponent. They will fill this spot with Middle Tennessee State. UConn does not need to play Bama any time next year. This team should challenge themselves, but not in front of 100,000 in Tuscaloosa.

Reaction Score
Lol at all in here thinking Bama wants to find a decent opponent. They will fill this spot with Middle Tennessee State. UConn does not need to play Bama any time next year. This team should challenge themselves, but not in front of 100,000 in Tuscaloosa.

I don't know anyone worth a salt of competive spirit that doesn't want to go toe to toe with the best, on the biggest stages there is, for whatever it is they are competing in. I disagree with this whole heartedly. If we've got a team of saps that would back down from the challenge - nothing would piss me off more. Even with our transition players from 1-AA to 1-A, which I wrote about before going to the Orange Bowl to face Miami - they didn't back down from the fight. They got destroyed by a superior team, but they fought. Last season we went to UCF, and the players laid down and died, and did it laughing and with smiles on their faces. It was sickening.

This attitude just pisses me off, they need to challenge themselves. No Sherlock, that's a given. Ugg. Now I'm all pissed off again.

My goal for this season - is simple - to see UCONN football played by UCONN football players again. Start to finish. Win or lose.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Love the passion Carl, just don't agree with the folks here that would be all for a money game at Bama. If we are operating on the principle that a home and home could be scheduled, then things change for me. I do think either way, that Bama is about 90 spots better than UConn in the rankings right now. PP has absolutely devestated our recruiting and development to the point where we now have a bunch of 1AA players in the program again.

Reaction Score
Love the passion Carl, just don't agree with the folks here that would be all for a money game at Bama. If we are operating on the principle that a home and home could be scheduled, then things change for me. I do think either way, that Bama is about 90 spots better than UConn in the rankings right now. PP has absolutely devestated our recruiting and development to the point where we now have a bunch of 1AA players in the program again.

That's a !t mindset and just a bit over dramatic on the level of talent on the roster right now.

Reaction Score
Diaco's defense was shredded by Bama because ND was simply out manned and out classed. Everyone that had any knowledge of college football knew that game was going to be ugly. They got their pants pulled down. There's no shame in that. Diaco couldn't rouse that locker room to get motivated for a NC game yet he's work his magic with a UConn team in Tuscaloosa? Hey I hope you're right.

In Diaco's defense (no pun intended), ND's offense didn't exactly help them out either. I was one of the people that knew ND was going to get destroyed because they were only in that position because everyone ahead of them lost. I just think that now that Diaco has control of the entire team not just defense, the game can be a lot less ugly. At least that's the hope, but I'm also a realist and know that a blow out is probably in future if this game were to happen unless UConn can pull of a Utah defeat of epic porportions or go to the hurry up spread (Satan can't figure those out yet).

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
If we pull off the upset we get into a P5. Schedule the damn game

Reaction Score
That's a !t mindset and just a bit over dramatic on the level of talent on the roster right now.

Totally agree. PP did a lot of things wrong, but he did have a eye for talent. The only downside was he was always looking for "prototypical" players instead of players to fit the system. All in all, I think PP did a decent job recruiting.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but according to this (as of last night), Alabama is in discussions with Southern Miss to fill the vacancy:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...015-schedule-hole-right-now-wed-take-anybody/

The update is on the bottom of the article...

If this is legitimate our athletic department should seriously consider offering to visit Tuscaloosa as a one-off at the same price that USM would ask, maybe even throw in a home and home basketball deal to sweeten the pot.

Reaction Score

You're not helping my anger level.

The chances of this thing ever getting scheduled are/were slim, but if Warde didn't at least make a call - I would wonder why. I would guarantee the answer why, wouldn't be what you say.

FWIW: This roster of "1-AA" players - your label, not mine - were up by 2 TD's on a top 25 ranked Michigan team last season, until their level of individual and team discipline and focus and character showed up late in the game, and they crumbled. These players have the ability to compete, that's what was so damn sickening about last season. Our players that did not have the ability to compete with that kind of program played with more heart, discipline, and determination and fight than they played last season.

Keep that in mind, the next time you think this way - backing down from a top level opponent - chicken . THe only thing that held this program together last season in hindsight, was that somewhere, deep down, those players last season coming through from 2011-2012, still had an ounce of pride somewhere that they were only holding out for - to compete with Michigan. After that, they caved. Completely and entirely.

Throw blame around all want as to who and why. It's all piss in the wind anyway. It's over. It should be at least. When a football team fails everyone is responsible. When a football team succeeds everyone is responsible. When change in leadership at the top level is necessary, it needs to be made, and it was. Leadership exists below the top level though. Harder to get rid of an entire roster of players.

If any bit of the attitude that pervaded this program last season is carried over, especially when adversity hits, or even more difficult - SUCCESS - and hit it will, we will have great difficulty at having a successful season.

I'm looking forward to finding out what kind of shape and attitude and preparation this team is going to show up with next week.

I got to check the forecast, get out sailing. Pissed off.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Totally agree. PP did a lot of things wrong, but he did have a eye for talent. The only downside was he was always looking for "prototypical" players instead of players to fit the system. All in all, I think PP did a decent job recruiting.

If he brought in talent, they are apparently still in their RS Freshman form. That was my point. We may have talent, but they are currently small, weak, and slow. Our OLine (right now) would not even make it out alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom