Alabama Begging for 2015 Opponent | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Alabama Begging for 2015 Opponent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They played BC in Foxboro (old place), in the rain, during the Flutie years. Kenny Bell (Greenwich HS) had a 100 yard+ game for BC. BC might have won, but I don't remember.

So what you're saying is they never played in the northeast before. Nothing like gaining new exposure.

Reaction Score
I expect to be pummeled for my opinion here but IMHO we would be crazy to play Alabama anywhere right now. HCBD seems to be trying to instill a positive attitude and work ethic on the team. Getting your butt handed to you at this stage of their attitude reconstruction, the way Alabama would likely do is not necessary right now. Someday I hope we can legitimately compete with them in football but right now its a bad idea. UConn doesn't need a payday that bad.

Reaction Score
They played BC in Foxboro (old place), in the rain, during the Flutie years. Kenny Bell (Greenwich HS) had a 100 yard+ game for BC. BC might have won, but I don't remember.

Now you've done it. I hope you realize that by identifying "the school which will not be named" the Chestnut Hill lurker mob will be all over this thread.

By the way mighty mite refers to Flutie.

Reaction Score
I expect to be pummeled for my opinion here but IMHO we would be crazy to play Alabama anywhere right now. HCBD seems to be trying to instill a positive attitude and work ethic on the team. Getting your butt handed to you at this stage of their attitude reconstruction, the way Alabama would likely do is not necessary right now. Someday I hope we can legitimately compete with them in football but right now its a bad idea. UConn doesn't need a payday that bad.

Negative. It wouldn't even be a payday. This game would get the team some great experience and they would probably learn something. And... with Cochran with a full season under his belt you never know, we could make a game of it.

Reaction Score

We played #1 ranked Miami in the Orange Bowl in 2002 and got beat 48-14. Essentially it was 48-0. Sean Taylor blocked a punt on the opening possession and Willis McGahee scored on the next play if I remember correctly making it 7-0 before anybody could breathe. Vince Wilfork buried Dan Orlovsky on a sack, caused a fumble, and one of their DT's picked it up and ran it back for a TD. That 300lb guy was faster than any one of our RB's and WR's on the field in a 50 yard sprint. We were grossly overmatched - in such a way that I do not think would be the case now - especially now that the guys are supposedly actually lifting weights and running now. I don't think there is a single coach or player on that roster in 2002 though, that would have traded that experience for anything, and very much looked forward to it.

Reaction Score
Now you've done it. I hope you realize that by identifying "the school which will not be named" the Chestnut Hill lurker mob will be all over this thread.

By the way mighty mite refers to Flutie.

LOL. LIke I wrote, so what he was saying is that they've never played in the northeast.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I would road trip a money grab in Tuscaloosa as fast as my computer can book a flight.

Aside: how many stops would that flight take? Hartford to Birmingham via Chicago, St Louis and Dallas? Then a drive deal from Birmingham. Would be my only chance to see the great state of Alabama.

Reaction Score
I would road trip a money grab in Tuscaloosa as fast as my computer can book a flight.

Aside: how many stops would that flight take? Hartford to Birmingham via Chicago, St Louis and Dallas? Then a drive deal from Birmingham. Would be my only chance to see the great state of Alabama.

Hartford to Atlanta. Then drive.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It's not right now. It's in 2015.

Reaction Score

BHM to BDL thru ATL is really pretty easy there are at least 4 options per day. I do it 3-4 times a year. Not always cheap but easy. Birmingham to Tuscaloosa is about 50 miles. Most visiting team fans stay in Birmingham when they come for a game at Bryant/Denny. The hotel & restaurant selection is better, and Tuscaloosa motels are usually booked by Bama fans on a season basis.

Reaction Score
Sign it up and lets play. If you want to be on the big stage, you got to start playing with the big boys. Might get are arses whooped, but my guess is we could respectably hang.

Reaction Score
Get a home and home with Alabama...thank god for some of the folks on this thread. After a long day and needing a real laugh, this is it. Hopefully people realize where we've been ranked the last few years. This would be roughly equivalent to UNLV or Central Michigan looking to talk Alabama into a home and home.

Reaction Score
"We called everybody we know"........Alabama AD

I'm going to take a shot at speculating what the AD means "we know". "We know'......(1) has a name that resonates with Alabama football fans (2) is a school that has long proven to be able to compete with "brand name" BCS schools (3) has a good traveling fan base.

Because of those speculated "we know" assumptions, I doubt UConn is on his e-mail listings under a grouping titled "potential OOC contests". However, I agree with John Green, if an AAC conference matchup is being considered, it will probably be a team from Florida (proximity) and/or Texas. My guess would be UCF.

Heck, Penn State chooses to play UCF over UConn in England. .......or Pennsylvania. I'll bet its for the same "we know" reasons.

Can't blame UConn AD or administration if Alabama has no interest in UConn........everyone (including fans) has skin in the "bad perception" criteria.

Dooley

Reaction Score
They might not get them but at least make an offer. Either 1 away game or offer a neutral site game of some sort. It seems that the SEC is not interested in NYC market at all but if they are, offer them a game at MetLife and split the gate.

These are the types of games I want Warde to pursue hardcore. You announce a game against Holy Cross and you get crickets. You announce a game against a program like Alabama and you get a ticket frenzy like the Michigan game. By the time we played them, we will be better than the train wreck PP/GDL had us going on.

Reaction Score
I'm still waiting on Warde's announcements on future scheduling. After the season ended, he was quoted that he would be working hard on scheduling after the New Year. We're 2 days away from June & nothing concrete as yet.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I'm still waiting on Warde's announcements on future scheduling. After the season ended, he was quoted that he would be working hard on scheduling after the New Year. We're 2 days away from June & nothing concrete as yet.

I'm with you coach. I think Indiana and Illinois are solid home and homes, but I'm hoping for something with some juice. Not saying it has to be Alabama (although that would be GREAT), but a top powerhouse program on the road would fit the bill. We're not going to get a home game against any top echelon program until we expand our stadium and get into a P5 conference. So, we'll need to schedule aggressively and our fans will need to travel aggressively. I'm looking for a 2015 man weekend road trip, although UCF next year might be a possibility. But hey, TWO man weekend road trips!!

Reaction Score
I would think Illinois and Indiana is as good as it gets for us home-and-homewise.

Yes. This is the new reality. These games are actually great considering the current situation.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I would have no problem with a one off road game va Bama. The new AAC paradigm makes being too proud unproductive. Bama is one of those programs you take the money and exposure.

A neutral site is not happening. To the Bama fans we aren't all that different than playing directional state.

How excited would you be if bama showed up to play M/W BB at the XL? Not very.

Reaction Score
We're not going to get a home game against any top echelon program until we expand our stadium and get into a P5 conference. So, we'll need to schedule aggressively and our fans will need to travel aggressively.

So 1 year removed from Michigan at Rentschler and 'we're not going to get a home game against any top echelon program.' Well, we got THE WINNINGEST program in history to come to Rentschler so not sure I follow here....

Reaction Score
So 1 year removed from Michigan at Rentschler and 'we're not going to get a home game against any top echelon program.' Well, we got THE WINNINGEST program in history to come to Rentschler so not sure I follow here....

that game was put together before the Big East imploded. Different situation entirely now. We are Conference USA Redux.

Dooley

Reaction Score

You forget - this series was agreed to years prior while UCONN was in a BCS conference. They were coming off a few bowl games and trending up. Michigan was looking for a decent name to open its newly expanded Big House and had little negotiating leverage to get a one-off. Make no mistake, it is WELL documented that Michigan tried like heck to move the game to a neutral site. The fact that Michigan played here is really miraculous and, until we expand or get into a P5 conference (or both), WILL NOT happen again.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Realistically speaking, I would think Illinois and Indiana is as good as it gets for us home-and-homewise.

Agreed. Solid gets. I think the UCONN fanbase needs to lower the expectations of what we can get in a home and home. There is ZERO chance of getting Michigan to come to the Rent without 1) expanding and/or 2) playing them in an in-conference game. Not while we are in a G5 conference and scheduling is shifting towards P5 playing other P5 schools only. The new needle mover scheduling is booking one-off money grabs for P5 powers who are looking to fill out schedules. Then it's up to our fanbase to travel well to these games and represent well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom