AL East Hitting……. | The Boneyard

AL East Hitting…….

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I took a quick look at the box score of the AL East teams and I noticed something crazy. The only regular I see who is hitting .300 or better is Melky Cabrera for the Jays. Yeah there are a few .290 plus guys which is still a pretty good season but c'mon, baseball has changed a lot. Not a lot of pure hitters and that's a joke. The pitching isn't that much better is it? NO……..just a lot of crappy hitters making millions of dollars and its a shame. The Yanks don't have a regular over .276 for duck*s sake that's pitiful………the shift is showing how actual disgusting some hitters are as they continuously still pull 'n ball despite having an open field, that's a disgrace. Get your hands in and drive it opposite field or hit a GD ground ball that way your on base.

I remember having 2-3 even 4 guys hitting over .300 in years past on teams. Now I know why baseball really is a boring game to watch these days, really boring!!

Reaction Score
....and part of it has to be the decreasing in PEDs usage due to testing.

Reaction Score
....and part of it has to be the decreasing in PEDs usage due to testing.

Yeah a little but they're still using the HR's are still there but they seem to be more important to the hitters than being a good hitter. In the old days guys would shorten up with 2 strikes and back off try to put it in play…..now they still are looking for the deep ball.

How much are the Yanks thinking about the Cano non-signing these days? He could've helped them get some more wins for sure………..I feel for Ellsbury a little. He's hitting in the 3 slot and it seems he's trying to hit like a 3 rather than being a .290 lead off………

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Cano certainly would have helped, but he wouldn't have helped enough to justify paying him a quarter of a billion dollars over ten years. The Yanks already have enough long-term bad contracts.

Reaction Score
Cano certainly would have helped, but he wouldn't have helped enough to justify paying him a quarter of a billion dollars over ten years. The Yanks already have enough long-term bad contracts.

I agree about the dollars but there just rent many good hitters left in baseball and they had one of the best. 10 years was ridiculous no doubt……..but they gave a much lesser player 7 years of undeserved cash too!

It's all Monday QB'ing now anyway as I agreed not to give him that…….just never realized how awful they would be w/o him in the lineup and how little they have to look forward to in the future also! Not pretty

Reaction Score
I have read that the ban on Greenies is affecting the hitters more. Harder for them to play day after day without the pill.

Yes that is a good point.

They must pound the Red Bulls like it is water....162 games day after day with all that travel is a ridiculous grind....

Reaction Score
Yes that is a good point.

They must pound the Red Bulls like it is water....162 games day after day with all that travel is a ridiculous grind....
Imagine if they had a real job?

Reaction Score
I have read that the ban on Greenies is affecting the hitters more. Harder for them to play day after day without the pill.

Very true. Many, many more players used amphetamines than steroids, from various accounts perhaps a majority on most teams.

I'd bet NY would up the ante for Cano today, given their pathetic offense. The rub was reportedly the out years, when he'd be 40, 41. I think NY could have gotten around that by upping the annual payout to an "ARod level" on a shorter deal. The Yankees do have a lot of crappy contracts, but they could have foregone McCann and/or Beltran to sweeten Cano's deal. Cervelli/Murphy/Romine/Sanchez and you sign McCann? And you're willing to pay Beltran @ age 40 and not Cano?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I took a quick look at the box score of the AL East teams and I noticed something crazy. The only regular I see who is hitting .300 or better is Melky Cabrera for the Jays. Yeah there are a few .290 plus guys which is still a pretty good season but c'mon, baseball has changed a lot. Not a lot of pure hitters and that's a joke. The pitching isn't that much better is it? NO……..just a lot of crappy hitters making millions of dollars and its a shame. The Yanks don't have a regular over .276 for duck*s sake that's pitiful………the shift is showing how actual disgusting some hitters are as they continuously still pull 'n ball despite having an open field, that's a disgrace. Get your hands in and drive it opposite field or hit a GD ground ball that way your on base.

I remember having 2-3 even 4 guys hitting over .300 in years past on teams. Now I know why baseball really is a boring game to watch these days, really boring!!

I know you, like me, are a Yankee fan. I've mentioned before that I think either Kevin Long is way overblown, or the Yankee hitting philosophy is so HR oriented that they haven't adjusted away from it. For at least the last 3 years, the Bummers have suc ked with runners in scoring position and in advancing runners. Heaven forbid they should go with a pitch. It's why they are pathetic against off-speed stuff. Even Gardner has become HR conscious and goes the other way far less than in past years.

I don't blame the Yankees in Cano's case, but they certainly miss his bat (and his glove). Not that he sacrificed much, but younger fans have no idea that Mickey Mantle was arguably the best bunter of his day. Forget having a middle of the order guy bunt anymore, even in a tie game with a runner on first and no outs in the bottom of the 9th. They'd probably hit themselves in the face. I guess DPs are more acceptable than sacrifice bunts.

I'm having a hard time rooting for the Yankees anyway. They really are the Seinfeld joke, rooting for laundry. Who are these guys anyway?

In the meantime, has any team adjusted to the overshifting? Teams could bunt the bases loaded almost any time they want.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="
In the meantime, has any team adjusted to the overshifting? Teams could bunt the bases loaded almost any time they want.[/QUOTE]
I agree on the shifting that is going on. It just doesn't seem like real baseball anymore. Any major league hitter should be able to go the other way with a little practice and that is the only way this shifting will end. I remember years ago I went to a game at Fenway Park. I forget who the Sox were playing that day but they had the shift on for Ted Williams. He bunted the ball down the first base line and laughed all the way to first. If he hustled, he probably could have gotten to second. But even he did not alter his approach despite the shift.

Even though I hate it, the shift is working and will continue to work until the hitters decide to do something about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom