Akok Officially Enrolling | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Akok Officially Enrolling

Reaction Score
DB07D720-9280-4066-8880-3EDEF9CE79A2.gif

Here he comes....

Reaction Score
We'll see tomorrow. If he is enrolled on Tuesday, and no one has said anything to the contrary, then Hurley will be able to answer every one of the questions we have. Will he practice? Will he play? Etc.

Reaction Score
Yes to pactice. No to play.

I'm confused why this is so complicated for the yard.
People get it for the most part, but Hurley and the staff haven't been allowed to talk about him at all in the media so it'll be nice to at least hear some thoughts from them

Reaction Score
People get it for the most part, but Hurley and the staff haven't been allowed to talk about him at all in the media so it'll be nice to at least hear some thoughts from them

Yep. I'd say people are probably more confused as to whether they have space for him to play and if they do why not? I mean reality is he's already testing the NBA waters, maybe not worthy but nonetheless the mindset, so 4 years of him is out of the question. So even if he was to play very little or was available if needed why not? While they say he's not ready right now most of our big men, if still in HS may be ranked the same. Even spot time burns a year but he has 3 more and he will be gone after that if not prior with some improvement. Will be interesting to hear.

Reaction Score
Yep. I'd say people are probably more confused as to whether they have space for him to play and if they do why not? I mean reality is he's already testing the NBA waters, maybe not worthy but nonetheless the mindset, so 4 years of him is out of the question. So even if he was to play very little or was available if needed why not? While they say he's not ready right now most of our big men, if still in HS may be ranked the same. Even spot time burns a year but he has 3 more and he will be gone after that if not prior with some improvement. Will be interesting to hear.
He literally can't play this year though

pj

Reaction Score
There's no scholarship for him and if he played he'd count as a recruited athlete and consume a scholarship. So playing is out of the question.

The issue of whether he can practice is still open as far as I can tell. If he is enrolled tomorrow, then the university will be able to speak and all should become clear.

Reaction Score
There's no scholarship for him and if he played he'd count as a recruited athlete and consume a scholarship. So playing is out of the question.

The issue of whether he can practice is still open as far as I can tell. If he is enrolled tomorrow, then the university will be able to speak and all should become clear.

Why don't all of our normal walk-ons consume scholarships when they get into games? I think it's clear that Akok can't play but I'm not sure this is the right logic.

Reaction Score
Why don't all of our normal walk-ons consume scholarships when they get into games? I think it's clear that Akok can't play but I'm not sure this is the right logic.

Because they are walk-ons & players not recruited by UConn. Walk-ons only count as a scholarship if they are put on scholarship after being a walk-on which happens from time to time. The "recruited player" status is the catch in the Akok situation.

Reaction Score
I still don’t understand how Grant Kersey (Virginia’s team manager) is able to dress and play for home games. Where is the loop hope and how can we exploit?

Reaction Score
Because they are walk-ons & players not recruited by UConn. Walk-ons only count as a scholarship if they are put on scholarship after being a walk-on which happens from time to time. The "recruited player" status is the catch in the Akok situation.

Yeah I don't get it. Maybe I am missing something very obvious. Is theres limited number of "recruited players" you can have? Why could Drummond play as a walk on? Did he qualify as a walk-on but also a recruited player?

pj

Reaction Score

Because they're not recruited athletes.

Reaction Score

*Hurley announcement tomorrow*

“We are excited to welcome Akok to our program. He is allowed to practice on alternating Tuesdays and Thursdays as well as days in which the temperature is between 20 - 30 degrees Fahrenheit. Akok can only play games against teams with cat or bird-based mascots, and can also play away games if the arena is west of the Mississippi but below 35 degrees latitude.”

Reaction Score
Football players are recruited as prefered walk ons, and they play. How is that different?

Reaction Score
Yeah I don't get it. Maybe I am missing something very obvious. Is theres limited number of "recruited players" you can have? Why could Drummond play as a walk on? Did he qualify as a walk-on but also a recruited player?

I believe there was something in the Drummond situation regarding not accepting financial aid which enable him to play. The crazy quirks of the NCAA..

Reaction Score
Football players are recruited as prefered walk ons, and they play. How is that different?

Preferred walk-on are not offered offered a scholarship prior to enrolling at the University. The scholarship offer is the key factor in determining they are a recruited player.

pj

Reaction Score
Somehow Drummond got a special deal from the NCAA. Maybe they made a favorable interpretation/exception of the rules given the stupid APR penalties which had reduced us to 10 scholarships, and allowed him to be treated as a preferred walk-on without consuming a scholarship, maybe partly on the basis that he had been recruited for the following academic year, not the year he enrolled.

Whatever, until we hear otherwise there's no reason to think that the Drummond situation will be replicated in Akok's case.

Reaction Score
Somehow Drummond got a special deal from the NCAA. Maybe they made a favorable interpretation/exception of the rules given the stupid APR penalties which had reduced us to 10 scholarships, and allowed him to be treated as a preferred walk-on without consuming a scholarship, maybe partly on the basis that he had been recruited for the following academic year, not the year he enrolled.

Whatever, until we hear otherwise there's no reason to think that the Drummond situation will be replicated in Akok's case.
I think the difference was Drummond paid his own way for that year, while Akok is getting financial aid for this semester

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
But can be play?
How about if there is a tragedy?
Can he play on Leap Year?

Reaction Score

It doesn't make sense. If he's enrolled as a regular student why can't he walk on and play?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
What if it was Feb. 28 and we crossed the international date line
Would that then be a sin Father?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members