Akok Commits to UConn!!! | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Akok Commits to UConn!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Its like he has the offensive game of a tall 3 and the shotblocking of a very agile 5. What a great gwr for UConn. Welcome Akok! This recruiting class already looks great. In another year or 2, the whole roster will look talented enough for UConn to be a legit national power.

Great job by Danny Hurley and his assistants.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Does anyone know how well Akok rebounds? Is he tough? I think @UConnStats could have the answer?
Put any kid with the instincts, ability and physical nature that Akok has with Sal Alosi and Dan Hurley for 10 months and he will be a rebounder.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know how well Akok rebounds? Is he tough? I think @UConnStats could have the answer?
I’d expect about 7-9 REB/40. He’s pretty good rebounding offensively, not so great on the defensive glass. As a rangy 4 offensively, and a big time shot blocker defensively, he’s not always going to be in a great position to rebound. He’s still a much better rebounder than Polley though.

He would pair incredibly well with Kofi. Close to zero overlap on offense or defense.

C

Chief00

I’d expect about 7-9 REB/40. He’s pretty good rebounding offensively, not so great on the defensive glass. As a rangy 4 offensively, and a big time shot blocker defensively, he’s not always going to be in a great position to rebound. He’s still a much better rebounder than Polley though.

He would pair incredibly well with Kofi. Close to zero overlap on offense or defense.
Agree, and Kofi is so key to a lot of good things.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score

I am concerned that if we do not land a true 5 that we will play him out of position at the 5 to get him minutes. Think Ater Majok. Not good. Especially because I do not see how he and Polley play together on the offensive end...

Reaction Score
I am concerned that if we do not land a true 5 that we will play him out of position at the 5 to get him minutes. Think Ater Majok. Not good. Especially because I do not see how he and Polley play together on the offensive end...

I think if he truly is 6'10, his best position may actually be the 5 after a year of Sal. I don't think playing the 5 would hinder him. I do think it would hinder our team just because talent wise, Kofi > Polley and Kofi is a huge mismatch at this level. Majok was a college 5 and his issues lied elsewhere, mostly how raw he was.

Reaction Score
Hurley is definitely going to add a center one way or another (most likely Kofi or Mitchell) and Carlton is still here. I doubt we’ll see Akok at the 5 unless we’re intentionally playing very small and uptempo.

Reaction Score
Akok is a 4 and will play the 4 for us and we will add a true center. No matter how you slice it Polley is probably going to lose some minutes next season.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Akok is a 4 and will play the 4 for us and we will add a true center. No matter how you slice it Polley is probably going to lose some minutes next season.
Hopefully we land that 5. I think it’s pretty safe to assume that Bouk starts at that 3rd Guard spot in place of Jalen because his game translates so well to the college level. So our guard situation is pretty good as long as AG can stay healthy. The 4 and the 5 are pretty much up in the air. I still like Diarra healthy too, he can fill Cobb’s current role well.

Reaction Score

Unless Polley crushes it from here on out and improves his game to a point where Hurley can’t afford to sit him because of how dominant he is on the court!

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score

These are good problems to have. People need to relax. Having lots of good players is much better than relying on a couple good players for everything. Creates competition in practice and gives us room for an occasional injury not to kill us. Hopefully by ‘20-21 we will have around 9 or 10 Top 100 recruits on the roster. Thats how it should be at UConn

Reaction Score
If Polley earns the minutes, he'll play. He can slot into the 3 spot as well since he has the outside shot.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
These are good problems to have. People need to relax. Having lots of good players is much better than relying on a couple good players for everything. Creates competition in practice and gives us room for an occasional injury not to kill us. Hopefully by ‘20-21 we will have around 9 or 10 Top 100 recruits on the roster. Thats how it should be at UConn
We have the potential for a stacked roster. I don't know about 9 or 10 top 100s for 2020, but let's just assume we somehow get Precious and Kofi.

Guard- Rique, Adams, Gaffney, Bouknight, Vital
Wing-Precious, Sid, Polley
Frontcourt- Akok, Diarra, Kofi, Carlton, Whaley(?)

That is absolutely oozing with talent, depth and potential. Can go for a long/athletic but small lineup with Rique, Precious, Sid, Polley, Akok. Or a big lineup with Adams, Bouknight, Precious, Akok, Kofi.

There's definitely plenty of playing time to be had for Polley at the rate he's improving, even with this roster.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
We have the potential for a stacked roster. I don't know about 9 or 10 top 100s for 2020, but let's just assume we somehow get Precious and Kofi.

Guard- Rique, Adams, Gaffney, Bouknight, Vital
Wing-Precious, Sid, Polley
Frontcourt- Akok, Diarra, Kofi, Carlton, Whaley(?)

That is absolutely oozing with talent, depth and potential. Can go for a long/athletic but small lineup with Rique, Precious, Sid, Polley, Akok. Or a big lineup with Adams, Bouknight, Precious, Akok, Kofi.

There's definitely plenty of playing time to be had for Polley at the rate he's improving, even with this roster.

That would be '19-20 roster, not '20-21 which is what I was referring too, but yes I agree that still is a pretty stacked and solid roster.

Reaction Score

Notice the comments at the bottom...
Screenshot_20181204-234844001.jpeg

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
That would be '19-20 roster, not '20-21 which is what I was referring too, but yes I agree that still is a pretty stacked and solid roster.
I understand, I was disputing the idea we could have up to 10 top 100 players after next year (maybe it's possible and that would be awesome), and then went on about your comment about how having a deep roster is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom