Akok Commits to UConn!!! | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Akok Commits to UConn!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From the video he’s muscular but not a stringbean and also does not have an NBA body at this point. 9 months with Sal will get him ready and why couldn’t we get at least 2 full seasons out of him? A few questions, why does he have the same first name as his last? Is this common in some counties? Does he have 2 first names or 2 last names? Just wondering.

Reaction Score
From the video he’s muscular but not a stringbean and also does not have an NBA body at this point. 9 months with Sal will get him ready and why couldn’t we get at least 2 full seasons out of him? A few questions, why does he have the same first name as his last? Is this common in some counties? Does he have 2 first names or 2 last names? Just wondering.

He's Sudanese. It's common.

Reaction Score
I just read a link to a Syracuse article that said this: "In-state tuition for just one semester at Connecticut would be about $7,000 and he could receive financial aid."

The fact is, he doesn't have to take a full slate of classes to be a matriculated student. He could go half-time and pay half of the tuition. Players do this all the time anyway by enrolling in intersession and summer courses, then going light during the spring.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Important to note that Akok is more American than Sudanese, he came to the US when he was 1 year old. Grew up in New Hampshire. No one should assume that he comes from a poor family....

Reaction Score
Well the biggest thing is that we can recruit again. I mean the biggest thing to me is we won a major recruiting battle - and one that was kinda complex - with the dropping out, pro interest, going head to head with Pitt and Syracuse.. like this is a big, big win. We can still draw dudes. And we did it through outworking everyone. This is a staff that can get it done. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer - in a way I could almost care less about Akok himself so much as this was really a bigtime message sent by the staff that they can do this.

As for Akok, I like him a lot. I think he's a 2-year guy. But I also think he's got bust potential being so skinny and I dunno.. track record isn't sensational with guys like that and he hasn't lit the world on fire the last few months. NOT down on him - I think he'll be good but he's got some risk.

Important thing is - we won a big recruiting war coming off a year where we were the absolute drizzling crap.. and we didn't just win it, the kid was so sold that he dropped out of a PG year, took an SAT as soon as he could, drove to campus and commiitted after two weeks of turning into Suzie Cheerleader behind the bench. I mean... guys.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
I just read a link to a Syracuse article that said this: "In-state tuition for just one semester at Connecticut would be about $7,000 and he could receive financial aid."

The fact is, he doesn't have to take a full slate of classes to be a matriculated student. He could go half-time and pay half of the tuition. Players do this all the time anyway by enrolling in intersession and summer courses, then going light during the spring.

This is actually a misconception. Players have to take at least 12 credits to be eligible to play sports.

Reaction Score
Check out Pitts board. According the them shoe money was exchanged and hurley is a fraud/cheater lmbooo

For a kid playin adidas AAU.... if anything that’s up there on the impressive list with this

Wordbomar

Reaction Score
He won't be a scholarship player until next year. He can take whatever he wants in the spring and summer semesters.

I know that, I was more pointing that out because he was saying players take light course loads in the spring “all the time”. Which isn’t true. 12 credits is a lighter load than the normal 15 but it’s still full time.

Reaction Score
I know that, I was more pointing that out because he was saying players take light course loads in the spring “all the time”. Which isn’t true. 12 credits is a lighter load than the normal 15 but it’s still full time.
The ESPN story has him as redshirting next year, too.

Reaction Score
Well the biggest thing is that we can recruit again. I mean the biggest thing to me is we won a major recruiting battle - and one that was kinda complex - with the dropping out, pro interest, going head to head with Pitt and Syracuse.. like this is a big, big win. We can still draw dudes. And we did it through outworking everyone. This is a staff that can get it done. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer - in a way I could almost care less about Akok himself so much as this was really a bigtime message sent by the staff that they can do this.

As for Akok, I like him a lot. I think he's a 2-year guy. But I also think he's got bust potential being so skinny and I dunno.. track record isn't sensational with guys like that and he hasn't lit the world on fire the last few months. NOT down on him - I think he'll be good but he's got some risk.

Important thing is - we won a big recruiting war coming off a year where we were the absolute drizzling crap.. and we didn't just win it, the kid was so sold that he dropped out of a PG year, took an SAT as soon as he could, drove to campus and commiitted after two weeks of turning into Suzie Cheerleader behind the bench. I mean... guys.

I agree. The buzz of landing a top 30 kid goes a long way towards continuing positive momentum on the recruiting trail. Akok is very talented and I think his career success is going to depend a lot on how patient he is. This is why I love that he will be on campus working with the team, but redshirting. He may actually need 2 years after his redshirt year. The reason he rose so high in the rankings is because he had some dominating performances against the highest of competition. He also had more games in single digit scoring than double digit during the Adidas Gauntlet. If he is in no immediate rush he is going to be a stud.

Reaction Score
This is actually a misconception. Players have to take at least 12 credits to be eligible to play sports.

Not sure which part of my post you're referring to. If you're referring to the part about maintaining eligibility, that pertains to players who are playing on schoarship, and he won't be.

If you're referring to the part of my post that relates to intersession courses, those are counted for the subsequent semester. So---if I do 6 credits in winter intersession, I can do 6 credits in spring, and that counts as my required NCAA 12.

But, the university also has rules. To remain matriculated, you have to be at least half-time, unless you take a leave/get a waiver.

Think about why the intersessions count toward the following semester. Schools all over the country have totally different semesters, some are trimesters, some begin again in April--AFTER the NCAA tourney.

This is why the NCAA looks at aggregate credits for athletes maintaining eligibility. I know a kid that went through this at my university. He was looking at maintaining eligibility while doing half-semester courses, so he piled them on in winter intersession.

Reaction Score

Here's an NCAA Q/A .pdf answer:

Q. How many credits do I need to complete (pass) each year to maintain eligibility?

A. A minimum of 18 credit hours must be completed during the academic school year (fall and spring semesters). Also, at least 6 credit hours must be passed in each individual semester in the academic year. Summer school courses can count towards eligibility and both percentage and GPA requirements are determined by your initial semester of enrollment.

Wordbomar

Reaction Score
Not sure which part of my post you're referring to. If you're referring to the part about maintaining eligibility, that pertains to players who are playing on schoarship, and he won't be.

If you're referring to the part of my post that relates to intersession courses, those are counted for the subsequent semester. So---if I do 6 credits in winter intersession, I can do 6 credits in spring, and that counts as my required NCAA 12.

But, the university also has rules. To remain matriculated, you have to be at least half-time, unless you take a leave/get a waiver.

Think about why the intersessions count toward the following semester. Schools all over the country have totally different semesters, some are trimesters, some begin again in April--AFTER the NCAA tourney.

This is why the NCAA looks at aggregate credits for athletes maintaining eligibility. I know a kid that went through this at my university. He was looking at maintaining eligibility while doing half-semester courses, so he piled them on in winter intersession.

This makes sense. When I played D2 baseball we had to maintain 12 credit hours a semester to maintain eligibility. But D1 could be different. I just assumed NCAA would be blanket rules on this. Thanks!

Reaction Score
This makes sense. When I played D2 baseball we had to maintain 12 credit hours a semester to maintain eligibility. But D1 could be different. I just assumed NCAA would be blanket rules on this. Thanks!

Same when I was d2 6 years ago.

I would imagine the rule is for all of NCAA.

Reaction Score
climb.jpg

The climb back to the top continues :cool:

Reaction Score
Anyone who saw the UCF vs Memphis football game today, wouldn’t call the AAC a “garbage conference”. You are stuck in the past. The AAC is an up and coming conference in growing metro areas much larger than the ACC. Get with the times!
Chief

For football at least, the AAC is a much better league than its reputation, in a sport where reputation is king.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom