Akok Akok withdraws from Putnam Science Academy | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Akok Akok withdraws from Putnam Science Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If he does go pro he’s got a really long road ahead of him playing for very little and not a lot of attention. Wish him the best in whatever he decides

Reaction Score
question: can he workout 1 on 1 with a trainer for the next few months, for example that guy Carmelo and a bunch of others use in NY, aiming to get drafted, and then if he does not get drafted use UConn as his backup plan? Obviously this would require him not to sign an agent... Doesn’t sound like such a horrible idea if all parties are on board...

Reaction Score
These post graduate years at PSA certainly have a history. LOL
Maybe Hami provided a blue print? After seeing UConn up close, maybe he enrolls for the second semester, practices with the team and goes on scholly in the fall.

Reaction Score
Maybe Hami provided a blue print? After seeing UConn up close, maybe he enrolls for the second semester, practices with the team and goes on scholly in the fall.
Was Hami on scholarship the semester he enrolled at UK? If not then I’m not losing hope yet.

Reaction Score
Was Hami on scholarship the semester he enrolled at UK? If not then I’m not losing hope yet.

I was thinking this might be the most likely outcome, but I think Hami was on scholarship (he practiced, he just didn't play in games) so maybe not if we can't find one. Scholarships are usually year-long guarantees, no idea if a player can voluntarily renounce one.

Reaction Score
This is the kid who tried to sit on the bench a few days ago. Let's wait and see how this plays out before we all freak out.
No reason to freak out, the kid seems like he wants to start getting paid.....it's a free country go for it.

At this point I have moved on but wtf knows, it's Madness 365 trying to get inside teenage heads. It's a crapshoot with top 40 players, most think they will be 1 and done anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was watching NBA a bit today and thinking about this. This teenage boy is nuts if he thinks he is ready to play with those grown men. If in fact that is what he is thinking. Will be interestng how this unfolds. If he does something stupid, we just move on. He is not going to make or break our program, and quite frankly his desire to turn pro asap does not make me think he is the kind of guy we need to get. I want to get guys who will stick around. Veteran teams are the best teams, not one and dones focused on themselves and impressing NBA scouts , clearly looking at college as a temporary stepping stone. We will see what happens in the next few days.

Reaction Score
Maybe I’m just being a homer but I feel strangely optimistic about this move. Highly unlikely he’d doing this and not either go pro or commit to UConn. After recent feedback we’ve been hearing about his NBA prospects I like our chances. If he’s going pro straight away he’s a sure fire G leaguer for at least a year or 2. College route makes more sense unless he needs the money.

Reaction Score
Strange move. No scholarships for UConn unless someone decides to transfer so don't see him enrolling here for the second semester. Come on down Mr. Coulibaly.

Reaction Score
Strange move. No scholarships for UConn unless someone decides to transfer so don't see him enrolling here for the second semester. Come on down Mr. Coulibaly.

Perhaps he enrolls without a scholarship for one semester?

Reaction Score
Maybe I’m just being a homer but I feel strangely optimistic about this move. Highly unlikely he’d doing this and not either go pro or commit to UConn. After recent feedback we’ve been hearing about his NBA prospects I like our chances. If he’s going pro straight away he’s a sure fire G leaguer for at least a year or 2. College route makes more sense unless he needs the money.
I can’t believe he needs money. What is his family doing,living outdoors under a bridge? He will have plenty of money soon enough if he follows the right path. Which in my mind would be play at least a couple years in college. You are housed, fed and have medical coverage. Your family can wait a few years to start spending your money.

Reaction Score
Is there a possibility he enrolls for the spring semester? Could he enroll with student aid like Drummond did and go in scholarship in the fall?

Reaction Score
I can’t believe he needs money. What is his family doing,living outdoors under a bridge? He will have plenty of money soon enough if he follows the right path. Which in my mind would be play at least a couple years in college. You are housed, fed and have medical coverage. Your family can wait a few years to start spending your money.
I have no idea if this applies to Akok, but for a lot of people they don't have the luxury of just waiting a few years for a player to start making money. It's a lot easier said than done

Reaction Score
I have no idea if this applies to Akok, but for a lot of people they don't have the luxury of just waiting a few years for a player to start making money. It's a lot easier said than done

Agreed. You never know a families circumstances.

Reaction Score
Perhaps, but I think that's a pretty rare occurrence in CBB. I'd be very surprised if that happens.

True, but it is also pretty rare for a borderline 5 star prospect to drop out this early in the prep school year.

Reaction Score
I in no way mean this in a derogatory manner towards anyone, but it’s amazing how close to the vest Akok is keeping all his moves.

With all the people here who have connections either to the UConn staff or PSA staff, I feel like this move just came out of nowhere.

I wonder how much Hurley and the staff are aware of this situation.

Reaction Score
What I don’t get is that if he actually plans to spend 7mos preparing for the draft—who pays for that? Presumably he was attending PSA for free. Now he needs a place to live, $$ to train, etc.
Exactly. This is what seems odd to me. Not like a trainer is free. Unless an agent fronts the money to recoup it from Akok’s future contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom