Akok Akok update | The Boneyard

Akok Akok update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

UConn: “They said that I would fit into their system very well. They want to build a big 2019 class and get the culture back there. They are very involved of late, especially with their players, and he (Dan Hurley) is just so involved in every single thing that they do, whether it is academics, getting into the weight room, or getting onto the floor. They are just a great coaching staff and about getting their guys better.”

Reaction Score
I remember when people said his stock was falling and Hurley and staff were not interested. I think this is one of our better shots at landing a big.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I remember when people said his stock was falling and Hurley and staff were not interested. I think this is one of our better shots at landing a big.
Kofi, Akok, Mitchell... Rank them in order of which ones you want and then which ones we have the best shot of landing. If I'm missing any add them in

Reaction Score
The staff has been watching him a lot more recently, but I think at this point Cuse is safely ahead of us. He’s basically the perfect compliment to Cockburn because he can score on the perimeter and block a ton of shots.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
The staff has been watching him a lot more recently, but I think at this point Cuse is safely ahead of us. He’s basically the perfect compliment to Cockburn because he can score on the perimeter and block a ton of shots.
He went berserk this summer and quieted all of his naysayers. Has looked phenomenal recently.

Reaction Score
He went berserk this summer and quieted all of his naysayers. Has looked phenomenal recently.
To be fair to the staff, he really wasn’t good this spring. Look at his game log and you’ll understand why we pumped the brakes a bit. MASS Rivals (@RivalsNation) - 2018 adidas Gauntlet - Roster - #11 - Akok Akok - SF

In Adidas play he’s still below 40% from the field and below 30% from 3, and averaging only 3.7 REB. He’s clearly improved his play and wasn’t as bad as he looked then, but those were huge red flags.

Reaction Score
We can't strikeout again the state of Connecticut. We have Akok, Mitchell, and Delaire and we need to be able to secure 1 of them at least.

We can't let the best talent in the state of Connecticut keep going elsewhere.

PS: I think we should focus on Akok. He has more upside and fits our style better.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We can't strikeout again the state of Connecticut. We have Akok, Mitchell, and Delaire and we need to be able to secure 1 of them at least.

We can't let the best talent in the state of Connecticut keep going elsewhere.

Who cares where they're from? If we get a great class, I don't think it matters at all.

Reaction Score

Just your casual mid-tourney 25+ spot rankings bump. He must look amazing to cause that type of urgency

What’s craziest is that 59th was the highest ranking for Akok coming into today across the three major sites. This is a huge jump, probably the biggest for a New England kid since Wenyen Gabriel.

Reaction Score
What’s craziest is that 59th was the highest ranking for Akok coming into today across the three major sites. This is a huge jump, probably the biggest for a New England kid since Wenyen Gabriel.

Similar players too, no? Cant teach size.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Gabriel had his handle working for the Adidas Nations tourney and blew up. He wasn’t been able to handle the ball like that in college though. Both bumps to 5 star status seemed kind of hasty.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, Gabriel had his handle working for the Adidas Nations tourney and blew up. He wasn’t been able to handle the ball like that in college though.

Kentucky was not a good choice for him. He needed a more developmental program.

Akok could use the same thing. I see the appeal of cuse for him. The zone can mask some issues he has with low pressure to perform on offense

Reaction Score

Size no, but hopefully shooting, as Gabriel wasn't the player at Kentucky that everyone here thought he'd be for us.

Was that poor coaching, poor fit for their "system" or simply not being as good as touted because he was supposed to be a one and done?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Cuse is ideal for kids who don't want to work hard on D or can't play the man to man game

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Size no, but hopefully shooting, as Gabriel wasn't the player at Kentucky that everyone here thought he'd be for us.

Was that poor coaching, poor fit for their "system" or simply not being as good as touted because he was supposed to be a one and done?

Not a hardcore recruiting guy, but only the most looney thought WG was one and done pre college.

Reaction Score

I think they are a very similar size, actually. 6'9 skinny guys with long arms.

In Kentucky's DDM offense, Cal relies on perimter players who can drive, spot up shooters, and athletic bigs. Wenyen didn't really have a place there. He's not a drive, nor a spot up shooter, and he wasn't going to play center in the middle. He's sort of stuck trying to find a role, instead of fitting the roles that coaches usually recruit for at the lower levels.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score

Just your casual mid-tourney 25+ spot rankings bump. He must look amazing to cause that type of urgency

this is a big time overreaction. Daniels now has Akok ranked ahead of Bacot and Cockburn? I dont think so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I think they are a very similar size, actually. 6'9 skinny guys with long arms.

In Kentucky's DDM offense, Cal relies on perimter players who can drive, spot up shooters, and athletic bigs. Wenyen didn't really have a place there. He's not a drive, nor a spot up shooter, and he wasn't going to play center in the middle. He's sort of stuck trying to find a role, instead of fitting the roles that coaches usually recruit for at the lower levels.

Thanks. Our former coach supposedly put in a lot of time recruiting him so I was wondering about the attraction since he seemed to not perform at the level he was touted to be.

Reaction Score
Thanks. Our former coach supposedly put in a lot of time recruiting him so I was wondering about the attraction since he seemed to not perform at the level he was touted to be.

Summer play has been much better
I'm curious what changed--diet? Mentality? I can't imagine his skill set grew THAT much to have him jump 25+ spots and completely change his recruiting trajectory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom