Akok achilles | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Akok achilles

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Man this is just terrible news.

Reaction Score
A year to play again. Usually 18 months to be close to 90% of what you were athletically before the injury.

Almost nobody returns to 100% of what they were.
This. He can see the court in about 12 months and will probably have load management for a while if he even plays next year (medical redshirt is on the table), but it’s basically the worst injury possible for basketball player. He does have youth on his side and he’s not very heavy.

This is a devastating injury for his professional prospects - let alone what he was going to mean for our program next year. He can certainly make it back but there’s not too many post-Achilles success stories in the NBA (but most of the players that have torn it have been 30yo+ like Kobe).

Reaction Score
Devastating. You can't help but feel for the kid. You can tell how much it means to him and how much he cares by how he looked on the sidelines. Gonna miss him on the court for sure. I hope he recovers well

Reaction Score
Very few if any people come back half the player they were after this injury. Still holding out hope to see how Kevin Durant comes back after this injury as well as Akok. Very sad day

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Has it been confirmed that it’s a tear? Announcers say things all the time that aren’t accurate. Also, good thing we have springs waiting in the wing!

Reaction Score

Linking this article b/c it helped me understand the injury a little more. Doesn’t look good. The staff is going to have to put together a unique plan for him. Medical redshirt for next season seems very likely.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Heartbreaking for Akok, who seems to be a fantastic young man. Such a hard worker. So unfair. You can see he is digesting what this means.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Linking this article b/c it helped me understand the injury a little more. Doesn’t look good. The staff is going to have to put together a unique plan for him. Medical redshirt for next season seems very likely.

let’s hope MRI shows it isn’t grade 3. They can’t have taken an MRI yet

Reaction Score
Came into this thread to ask how this injury compares to ACL/MCL tears, but judging by everyone’s reactions it seems like the verdict is: worse. A lot worse.

Reaction Score
but most of the players that have torn it have been 30yo+ like Kobe
Exactly. I take it you’re a DPT and know better than most here, but surgery and therapy has come a long long way since Achilles injuries were career-enders. And the kid is so young.

Reaction Score
You can diagnose a full thickness Achilles’ tendon rupture without needing an MRI. The fact that they put the immobilizer on him and let him finish watching the half (plus the players and coaches reactions) is the other tell.
The first tell was that they literally carried him off the court. Kobe was able to shoot free throws
That’s what I’m hoping. Can the doctors really tell how bad it is just by looking at him in the locker room?
maybe it comes down to what they see when he tries to bear weight on it. Does the leg just give out, can some weight be tolerated, can weight be tolerated through a calf raise

we could visibly see KD’s Achilles rupture with that sickening ripple effect you see shoot up his leg right when the injury happened. I couldn’t make it out for Akok

Reaction Score
Exactly. I take it you’re a DPT and know better than most here, but surgery and therapy has come a long long way since Achilles injuries were career-enders. And the kid is so young.
Just look at Demarcus Cousins from 2 years ago. It’s still a big time injury and chances are won’t be close to where he was as of tip off today.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom