Akok 101 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Akok 101

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
i never saw anyone on here say he was paying his own way until now, but much appreciated. i'm sorry my genuine curiosity offends you.

It was in a few news articles the day he committed.

Reaction Score
It was in a few news articles the day he committed.

i thought it was framed as speculation, especially after the qualifier v. partial qualifier v. non-qualifier issue came up. but i don't want to be repetitive.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
i thought it was framed as speculation, especially after the qualifier v. parial qualifier v. non-qualifier issue came up. but i don't want to be repetitive.

Akok plans to enroll at UConn for the second semester and join the basketball team as a walk-on, but not play. He will not be on scholarship, but will likely qualify for a hefty financial aid package. UConn is at its scholarship allotment of 13, and even if a current scholarship player left the program, Akok wouldn’t have been able to take that scholarship as they are considered year-long “counters.”

Akok Akok commits to UConn

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Akok plans to enroll at UConn for the second semester and join the basketball team as a walk-on, but not play. He will not be on scholarship, but will likely qualify for a hefty financial aid package. UConn is at its scholarship allotment of 13, and even if a current scholarship player left the program, Akok wouldn’t have been able to take that scholarship as they are considered year-long “counters.”

Akok Akok commits to UConn

I'm hardly an expert on NCAA rules, but I thought that a recruited player who walked on was ineligible for any type of financial aid from the school. For very obvious reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I'm hardly an expert on NCAA rules, but I thought that a recruited player who walked on was ineligible for any type of financial aid from the school. For very obvious reasons.
I think you're right but he's not a walk-on if he doesn't play this season. He's just like any other student who starts school in January.

Reaction Score
That's not totally true. See it less in basketball, especially at the D1 level, but plenty of kids get partial athletic/partial academic scholarships. Friend of mine got a 50/50 for XC at URI. And more likely than not, UConn never "recruited him as a 2018 prospect" (semantical but that's how these things go lol), so he would be allowed to walk on.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
This is just a guess, but to be eligible to play D1 sports, you have to be enrolled in at least 4 classes per semester (i think). I would assume that Akok will only be taking 2-3 classes, so that would make him a glorified practice player and not eligible to play this semester. Not sure where ncaa rules come into effect tho

Reaction Score
I think you're right but he's not a walk-on if he doesn't play this season. He's just like any other student who starts school in January.
He would be a walk-on if he joins the team/participates in team activities, not based on playing or not.

Reaction Score
This is just a guess, but to be eligible to play D1 sports, you have to be enrolled in at least 4 classes per semester (i think). I would assume that Akok will only be taking 2-3 classes, so that would make him a glorified practice player and not eligible to play this semester. Not sure where ncaa rules come into effect tho
90% sure you can't even practice with the team if you're not a full-time student.

Reaction Score
There are no scholarships available, and he can't take someone else's scholarship mid year, even if someone leaves the team. He will not be a scholarship player this season, unless there's something I'm missing..

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
90% sure you can't even practice with the team if you're not a full-time student.
I don't think so. I played Division 3 lacrosse and we had a few guys who were only taking 3 classes but were still able to practice. but who knows

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
That's not totally true. See it less in basketball, especially at the D1 level, but plenty of kids get partial athletic/partial academic scholarships. Friend of mine got a 50/50 for XC at URI. And more likely than not, UConn never "recruited him as a 2018 prospect" (semantical but that's how these things go lol), so he would be allowed to walk on.
Partial athletic scholarships don't exist in D1 football or basketball.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I thought these guys took lots of classes in between semesters to lessen their load for basketball season? Can they not do that?

Reaction Score

The rules for sports other than basketball and football are very different.

C

Chief00

Why won’t any of reporters ask or write about the scholarship situation? The kid was recruited - he needs to consume a scholarship - so how did the school promise him there would be one available for the second semester? I think we all know the answer, but rather than speculating and name dropping on here, our reporters should ask the questions we can’t , utilize their sources, and uncover the facts

I think we should respect student’s legally entitled privacy and read the tea leaves.

Reaction Score
from Dom Amore

Akok Akok update
A few things to know about Akok Akok, the 6-foot-9 forward who has committed to UConn and plans to enroll for the fall semester: The results of his SATs are in and he remains on track, though there is a lot of paperwork remaining.
There will not be a scholarship for him in January, unless a player leaves voluntarily, which does not appear to be happening. Akok cannot play this season as a walk-on, because he has been recruited (official visits, etc.) and still remains eligible for the necessary financial aid.
So the plan is still for him to enroll for the spring semester, which begins Jan. 16, practice and work with the team, go on scholarship in June and play next season

Link to article:
UConn men’s notebook: Huskies bring gifts, pizza, smiles to students at Naylor School - Hartford Courant

Reaction Score
He will have 6 extra months to; learn the system, bang against the big boys, get acclimated to college life academically/athletically, work w/ Sal, get the tutelage of a D1 set of coaches. Has worked for others, should work here as well - even though we don't have a good overall history with this process...the Danny Difference!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom