AJP/ Boatright/ Jalen | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AJP/ Boatright/ Jalen

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Boatright. He didn't have the size or skill level of AJ Price, but he played with a lot of heart and came off to me as more focused and disciplined.

I think that's in your head (no offense intended). Guys like AJP get called unfocused or not trying as hard, because their game is so smooth. And he's not demonstrative. Happened with Rudy Gay too; people had the gall to call him underwhelming and he was a freakin AA.

AJP was just so calm and cool under pressure, and the guys fed off that. He was so, so good at running the team that it looked effortless. Loved his game.

Boat had the heart of a lion, and I appreciated that, but AJP played a smarter, more mistake free game.

Reaction Score
Jalen has a good 2 point shooting percentage because so much of his offense is driving and laying in but his jump shot is not good at times. Is that lack of work on his part or he just can't do it? Wondering.

Jalen shoots a ton of mid range jump shots.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
7FDF98AF-F836-4B81-9B6C-AE222B77C396.png
One of the best husky athletes ever...with Jalen

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I honestly think it’s a confidence issue. He scores at ease vs bad teams because he knows he can. He presses so hard vs good teams his game loses its swagger and smoothness.

Reaction Score
Jalen is the most talented of the three but AJ was a fantastic college player. Price was legitimately the best PG we ever had before Kemba and Shabazz came along and went bonkers. I know we all have a love affair with KEA and what he meant but Price was the better player IMO.

Reaction Score
Jalen lived up to his 5 star talent. If he works his butt off and gets more aggressive and efficient with his shot he has a chance. Just not now. Rooting for him tho

Reaction Score
Boat, but that is because he is one of my all- time favorites. AJ is probably the better answer.

Reaction Score
AJ and Shabazz are the best outside shooters I've seen in 40+ years of watching UConn--with the possible exception of Vern Giscombe (;^)

Reaction Score
Jalen is more talented than either of them. And AJP is my favorite Husky ever.

That being said, Price is a better shooter, a better leader, a true PG (as in..a court general) and one of the smartest players we’ve ever had. I take him.

I also give him the “heart advantage.” He wasn’t as demonstrative as Boat, but think about what that kid had to worth through to be as good as he was, and he still lead Uconn to the final four. IMO, he taught Kemba how to be a leader.

Not sure Boat would give us anything we don’t already have. So it would be AJP, Jalen, Boat for me.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Jalen is more talented than both AJP and Boat. The things AJP and Boat did(properly run an offense, play within themselves, take care of the ball, make 3s/FTs) were more conducive to winning though.

Reaction Score
Jalen is more talented than both AJP and Boat. The things AJP and Boat did(properly run an offense, play within themselves, take care of the ball, make 3s/FTs) were more conducive to winning though.

Jalen is a better athlete than Price was, but not more talented. Price had a superior handle, better overall game instincts, and could score in a greater variety of ways.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I think that's in your head (no offense intended). Guys like AJP get called unfocused or not trying as hard, because their game is so smooth. And he's not demonstrative. Happened with Rudy Gay too; people had the gall to call him underwhelming and he was a freakin AA.

AJP was just so calm and cool under pressure, and the guys fed off that. He was so, so good at running the team that it looked effortless. Loved his game.

Boat had the heart of a lion, and I appreciated that, but AJP played a smarter, more mistake free game.

I definitely get that, but when I refer to the discipline aspect, I'm sort of considering the off-the-court actions.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Probably would. Kemba was all time, but he wasn't god. AJ was a better outside shooter. Boat was a better defender. Jalen is bigger. Boat, like kemba, had the heart of a lion. Both kemba and AJP made their teammates better.

Now kemba did have the 'it factor', but you have a combo of one of the headiest/coolest/calmest UConn pgs and one of the toughest and quickest.

If AJP had no injuries or sickness, he'd be mentioned with bazz, kemba, kea, and we'd have another championship or two. Kid was explosive coming out of high school.
Kemba was undefeated OOC, won every tourney, was MOP at every tourney, lead the nation in scoring for majority of the season, climbed up the rankings in the record books, scored the most (maybe second most) points all time in a single season and did it with one of the youngest teams in the country.

Not a knock against Price or Boat, but Kemba is in another universe

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Jalen is a better athlete than Price was, but not more talented. Price had a superior handle, better overall game instincts, and could score in a greater variety of ways.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If Boat has talent around him his Senior year I might say him, but he didn’t. Price definitely. He is definitely underrated and I loved his game.

Reaction Score
Gotta love Ace. He was one of my favorite UConn walkons. He seems to be doing extremely well and truly bleeds blue. Just did a quick google deep dive, he also donated 25k to the Worth Center and spoke with the team this year about preparing for life after basketball.

I was wondering who that was. Best last name of any UConn player!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Kemba was undefeated OOC, won every tourney, was MOP at every tourney, lead the nation in scoring for majority of the season, climbed up the rankings in the record books, scored the most (maybe second most) points all time in a single season and did it with one of the youngest teams in the country.

Not a knock against Price or Boat, but Kemba is in another universe

I get all that.

But we are talking about melding guys together. So a summation of skills.

The fact remains, AJP was a superior shooter. And better passer. And a better 'true' PG.

Kemba was a better overall player, for sure.

But when you add select skills of different players, the outcome is superhuman.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I definitely get that, but when I refer to the discipline aspect, I'm sort of considering the off-the-court actions.

That's fair. I'd counter with, AJP spent a LOT of time on the shelf. Which equals boredom. Which equals doing dumb snow that kids do.

I'm obviously jut guessing, but I'd wager he never got involved with that if he was full on practicing/training/playing. jmo

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
AJ Price might be our most underrated great Husky. Dude was a stud and he played on some awesome teams.

If he doesn’t tear his ACL in 2008, who knows. If Dyson doesn’t get hurt, etc. etc. in 2009... but as a PG and player, he was very good.

He and Marcus Williams, I think due to the teams underachieving, sort of get forgotten about.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
AJ Price might be our most underrated great Husky. Dude was a stud and he played on some awesome teams.

If he doesn’t tear his ACL in 2008, who knows. If Dyson doesn’t get hurt, etc. etc. in 2009... but as a PG and player, he was very good.

He and Marcus Williams, I think due to the teams underachieving, sort of get forgotten about.

The real what-if is if he didn't have a brain hemorrhage, nearly die, needing a year to recover. He wasn't quite the same physically after that. He was more explosive coming out of high school.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom