AJP/ Boatright/ Jalen | The Boneyard

AJP/ Boatright/ Jalen

Reaction Score
Alright fellas I’d like to discuss something. Out of the three options below, who would you want the most on the current roster?

AJ Price
Ryan Boatright
Jalen Adams

I would go with AJP personally but I’d like to get some opinions on how Jalen compares.

Reaction Score
I would take AJP. Underrated player. If not for medical issues and a couple setbacks...i believe he could have had a long NBA career.

You should add El-Amin to that list

Reaction Score
Alright fellas I’d like to discuss something. Out of the three options below, who would you want the most on the current roster?

AJ Price
Ryan Boatright
Jalen Adams

I would go with AJP personally but I’d like to get some opinions on how Jalen compares.
jalen needs a BIG finish to level with boat

Reaction Score
I would take AJP. Underrated player. If not for medical issues and a couple setbacks...i believe he could have had a long NBA career.

Could throw in El Amin and might then be the choice. This team could use a tough bulldog leader and he fits the mold.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The best of all three melded into one would still not equal Kemba.

Probably would. Kemba was all time, but he wasn't god. AJ was a better outside shooter. Boat was a better defender. Jalen is bigger. Boat, like kemba, had the heart of a lion. Both kemba and AJP made their teammates better.

Now kemba did have the 'it factor', but you have a combo of one of the headiest/coolest/calmest UConn pgs and one of the toughest and quickest.

If AJP had no injuries or sickness, he'd be mentioned with bazz, kemba, kea, and we'd have another championship or two. Kid was explosive coming out of high school.

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Boat was a better on ball defender. Kemba was the better defender all-around.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Boat was a better on ball defender. Kemba was the better defender all-around.

Dunno. Boat could deny you the ball all game, even if you're 6'5. If you needed to lock somebody down, no matter who it is, you take Boat 100/100.

When you talk about guard defense, there's 3 at the top of uconn Mt Rushmore: Ricky, Lyman depriest, and Boat.

Add Mek and Thabeet and you've got arguably the top 5 defenders in uconn history

Reaction Score
jalen needs a BIG finish to level with boat
Not sure I agree - Boatright was a much better defender but I think Jalen is the superior scorer and playmaker.

I was always a big Boatright fan, but I think this board highly overrates him.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree - Boatright was a much better defender but I think Jalen is the superior scorer and playmaker.

I was always a big Boatright fan, but I think this board highly overrates him.

Boat was a much better outside shooter.

Reaction Score
Dunno. Boat could deny you the ball all game, even if you're 6'5. If you needed to lock somebody down, no matter who it is, you take Boat 100/100.

When you talk about guard defense, there's 3 at the top of uconn Mt Rushmore: Ricky, Lyman depriest, and Boat.

Add Mek and Thabeet and you've got arguably the top 5 defenders in uconn history

If you consider Scotty a guard, and I do, then he is on the list over Boat. Boat was good his last 1 1/2 yrs, but not so good before that with way too many ill-advised reach ins. Scott was better over the duration of his career.

Reaction Score
Boat. He didn’t get all the glory that Bazz deservedly gets but there’s no championship without him either. You want that kind of heart on any team.

Reaction Score
Boatshow baby, he is extremely underrated! Out of the three, he's the only one to win a ship, and lets not forget how poor of a team he had around him his senior year.

I was also at a party at UConn one night where the home owners were reluctant to let him in because they were afraid he would take all the girls...that alone ends the conversation right??

Reaction Score
Sadly, Jalen has not proven to be the leader thus far that we’ve all hoped for. I try not to blame him for this, I think during those really important early years for him the coaching as to how to be one just wasn’t there. Boat was a great leader in his senior season, and even a little before that, and while he developed some PG skills, it never came naturally to him. AJ had those leadership and PG skills that would pair perfectly with AG’s in the traditional UConn two PG lineup. He would make this into a potential Sweet16 team instead of, hopefully, a first weekend team.

One thing concerning defense, AJ was a pretty good on ball defender his last few years. For Boat, it didn’t click for him until his JR year when he stopped over-pursuing and started using his quick feet to get low and stay in front of his man. He was a human crab those last couple of years.

Reaction Score

Price was also a 2nd team all American if I recall.

Reaction Score
We could really use Boat’s defense, toughness and shot making on this team but that’d leave us two small point guards. I would go AJP for those reasons plus he was a leader and a great point guard/ shooter. That being said it’s AJP- Boat- Jalen in that order for me

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If you consider Scotty a guard, and I do, then he is on the list over Boat. Boat was good his last 1 1/2 yrs, but not so good before that with way too many ill-advised reach ins. Scott was better over the duration of his career.

Fair point. Though I'd personally put Boat over Lyman. I mean, when we talke about great players, it's how they ended their career that matters. Kemba was good, not great for most of his first/second year. He truly became pantheon his final year in school. And that's how he's remembered.

Boat's reach-ins were constant pestering a la John Linehan, and intimidated the hell out of the opposition. He'd nab as many or force poor choices and bad maneuvers that led to more possessions and ineffective offense.

His ball denial was otherworldly. Watching 5'11 Boat absolutely school 6'6 Scottie Wilbekin on possessions was hilarious. That run in the 2014 tournament was like nothing we've ever seen, sans Ricky during the 1999 FF.

Strange, but when I think of Scottie, I think tweener forward. When we talk about great guards at UCONN, his name doesn't come up often. And he was def one of our great players. So that's the main reason. He's one of the most complete players we ever had. I'd be really interested to see the break down of minutes played at guard vs forward.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jalen is going to need a special run this year to be mentioned with either of them. Although, pure talent alone I think he's in the conversation. Just looks so lethargic and careless too much of the time.

Reaction Score
Fair point. Though I'd personally put Boat over Lyman. I mean, when we talke about great players, it's how they ended their career that matters. Kemba was good, not great for most of his first/second year. He truly became pantheon his final year in school. And that's how he's remembered.

Boat's reach-ins were constant pestering a la John Linehan, and intimidated the hell out of the opposition. He'd nab as many or force poor choices and bad maneuvers that led to more possessions and ineffective offense.

His ball denial was otherworldly. Watching 5'11 Boat absolutely school 6'6 Scottie Wilbekin on possessions was hilarious. That run in the 2014 tournament was like nothing we've ever seen, sans Ricky during the 1999 FF.

Strange, but when I think of Scottie, I think tweener forward. When we talk about great guards at UCONN, his name doesn't come up often. And he was def one of our great players. So that's the main reason. He's one of the most complete players we ever had. I'd be really interested to see the break down of minutes played at guard vs forward.
Erm, Wilbekin was 6’1 if that. Maybe you’re thinking of someone else?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom