AJP/ Boatright/ Jalen | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AJP/ Boatright/ Jalen

Reaction Score
Jalen is going to need a special run this year to be mentioned with either of them. Although, pure talent alone I think he's in the conversation. Just looks so lethargic and careless too much of the time.
Except for the fact that he struggles to shoot threes or free throws...could usually count on AJP and Boat for those skill sets. He doesn't compare to them in that regard. Agree on the carelessness part though, been noticing that too.

Reaction Score
Except for the fact that he struggles to shoot threes or free throws...could usually count on AJP and Boat for those skill sets. He doesn't compare to them in that regard. Agree on the carelessness part though, been noticing that too.
I would agree on the threes but not necessarily free throws. Through his 4 years he has averaged (86%, 83%, 80%, and this year with a small sample size 82%.) For comparison Boat averaged (69%, 79%, 80%, and 85%) and AJP averaged (69%, 75%, and 72%) Overall Jalen is a good free throw shooter. I think sometimes he misses 1/2 on a big occasion but overall he is very reliable from there.

Reaction Score
I would agree on the threes but not necessarily free throws. Through his 4 years he has averaged (86%, 83%, 80%, and this year with a small sample size 82%.) For comparison Boat averaged (69%, 79%, 80%, and 85%) and AJP averaged (69%, 75%, and 72%) Overall Jalen is a good free throw shooter. I think sometimes he misses 1/2 on a big occasion but overall he is very reliable from there.
Fair stats. To me it seems he's been missing big free throws when it counts lately (see Arizona game). Game on the line...make or break...I want boat or price on the line instead of Jalen. Simple as that, for me anyways.

Reaction Score
I think Jalen has talent but has never been a winner on his own. He puts up big stats but its been on bad teams, maybe Hurley can make him into more of a leader but if not he shouldn't be in the same class as the other guys

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Price is the best player on that list, innfairness to the other two, I don't think any would make as much of a difference as some are trying to portray.

All three had a weaker supporting cast than the championships teams, to whose guards you are comparing them.

Except Kemba. We have good guards and a good number of them but adding Kemba to any team, including 2014 would make any team better. Bazz had Boat playing out of his mind in the NCAA's.

Reaction Score
I think it's AJP by a bit of a landslide here. AJP was the only of the three that was legitimately THE guy on a great UConn team.

Reaction Score
I think it's AJP by a bit of a landslide here. AJP was the only of the three that was legitimately THE guy on a great UConn team.

AJ carved out 4 or 5 years in the NBA. (Cavs & Pacers)

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score

It’s crazy to see the rankings next to those teams. A 2 seed vs. a 10. We haven’t been ranked in what feels like an eternity.

Reaction Score
Last seasons:
P1: 14.7 ppg, 4.7 asts, 3.5 rbs, 72. FT%, 40% 3pt, 40% FG, 32 minutes, .7 steals
P2: 18.9 pgg, 2.8 asts, 3.9 rbs, 81.5 FT%, 35.4% 3pt, 54.7% FG, 30 minutes, 1.3 steals
P3: 17.4 pgg, 3.8 asts, 4.1 rbs, 85% FT, 41.1% 3pt, 42.3% FG, 35.8 minutes, 1.35 steals

Reaction Score
Last seasons:
P1: 14.7 ppg, 4.7 asts, 3.5 rbs, 72. FT%, 40% 3pt, 40% FG, 32 minutes, .7 steals
P2: 18.9 pgg, 2.8 asts, 3.9 rbs, 81.5 FT%, 35.4% 3pt, 54.7% FG, 30 minutes, 1.3 steals
P3: 17.4 pgg, 3.8 asts, 4.1 rbs, 85% FT, 41.1% 3pt, 42.3% FG, 35.8 minutes, 1.35 steals

I think who is who is obvious. But still a good point. Keep in mind that Jalen's stats are against mostly cupcake teams. They will look different in the middle of our conference slate.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree - Boatright was a much better defender but I think Jalen is the superior scorer and playmaker.

I was always a big Boatright fan, but I think this board highly overrates him.
RB probably had the most gifted handle of the three . He Only became a lockdown defender late. Was a decent shooter. He also played Along side Bazz for three years. He was an awful passer when he got here but developed enough to actually be a decent PG and now makes moneybecause of that transition.
AJ was a natural PG but he usually played with a much better cast than either . Having a guy 7’3 “ in the post takes pressure off.
Could AJ have won with a lineup that included freshman Jackson and Vital.
I dunno maybe.
Lost to the BY the 2016-17 team that team actually would have had a winning record had JA not been injured.
That team lost one maybe two games when he had a concussion. Then won 8-9 and had SMU on the ropes when he went out with a ankle sprain . We lost a couple more when he missed or was severely limited in the next few games Even with that he averaged 6 assists a game 198 for the year. I think top 5 in UConn history.
Now he is playing out of position and I don’t think he has made the adjustment yet.
In short three different players playing with casts so different anything but general comparison is unfair.
I wouldn’t have moved him out of PG
That’s not a knock on AG but AG could easily play the two and slip into PG for substantial minutes. To me JA is lost at times and unsure of his what his role is and that’s hurting Chemistry.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Last seasons:
If memory serves I believe AJ was responsible for more than .7 steals.

Reaction Score
RB probably had the most gifted handle of the three . He Only became a lockdown defender late. Was a decent shooter. He also played Along side Bazz for three years. He was an awful passer when he got here but developed enough to actually be a decent PG and now makes moneybecause of that transition.
AJ was a natural PG but he usually played with a much better cast than either . Having a guy 7’3 “ in the post takes pressure off.
Could AJ have won with a lineup that included freshman Jackson and Vital.
I dunno maybe.
Lost to the BY the 2016-17 team that team actually would have had a winning record had JA not been injured.
That team lost one maybe two games when he had a concussion. Then won 8-9 and had SMU on the ropes when he went out with a ankle sprain . We lost a couple more when he missed or was severely limited in the next few games Even with that he averaged 6 assists a game 198 for the year. I think top 5 in UConn history.
Now he is playing out of position and I don’t think he has made the adjustment yet.
In short three different players playing with casts so different anything but general comparison is unfair.
I wouldn’t have moved him out of PG
That’s not a knock on AG but AG could easily play the two and slip into PG for substantial minutes. To me JA is lost at times and unsure of his what his role is and that’s hurting Chemistry.

Jalen Adams is not a natural PG. He's a ball-dominant scoring guard. Great basketball player, not a great alpha.

AG is a very natural PG. He distributes well. Right now he's working on his decision making/scoring, but I can't believe you have a doubt he is not far and away the better natrual PG.

Reaction Score
Jalen is going to need a special run this year to be mentioned with either of them. Although, pure talent alone I think he's in the conversation. Just looks so lethargic and careless too much of the time.
Jalen has a good 2 point shooting percentage because so much of his offense is driving and laying in but his jump shot is not good at times. Is that lack of work on his part or he just can't do it? Wondering.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Erm, Wilbekin was 6’1 if that. Maybe you’re thinking of someone else?

Harrisons probably.

I don’t remember Boat being an other worldly defender until that playoff run.

He was always a tough, pesky defender but am I misremembering him being that consistently great?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Erm, Wilbekin was 6’1 if that. Maybe you’re thinking of someone else?

Sorry, meant the Harrison's. Wilbekin was 6'3 at the combine.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Harrisons probably.

I don’t remember Boat being an other worldly defender until that playoff run.

He was always a tough, pesky defender but am I misremembering him being that consistently great?

The entire team elevated that run. Pretty much nobody was as good as they were in that tournament. Cept maybe Bazz.

Reaction Score
Jalen has a good 2 point shooting percentage because so much of his offense is driving and laying in but his jump shot is not good at times. Is that lack of work on his part or he just can't do it? Wondering.
Yes, his percentage is high because he drives to the hole and scores a lot. It is so effortless for him. Is that a fault or is that part of what makes him good? I also disagree with you on his jump shot not being good. I think he has a great mid range jumper. What I meant by him being lethargic is sometimes it takes him too long to get into the game, he also seems to not lift his feet enough on his 3pt shots. When hes running down the floor i've seen him throw too many errant passes that go out of bounds, or get stolen. I think if he corrects those little things he could be that much better.

Reaction Score
Yes, his percentage is high because he drives to the hole and scores a lot. It is so effortless for him. Is that a fault or is that part of what makes him good? I also disagree with you on his jump shot not being good. I think he has a great mid range jumper. What I meant by him being lethargic is sometimes it takes him too long to get into the game, he also seems to not lift his feet enough on his 3pt shots. When hes running down the floor i've seen him throw too many errant passes that go out of bounds, or get stolen. I think if he corrects those little things he could be that much better.
My biggest complaint is his ego/ cocky swag that he has for no reason. Seems to be lazy at times. Also leaves his feet while driving into the trees with no plan. Works against the cupcakes but not the good teams.

Reaction Score
"he also seems to not lift his feet enough on his 3pt shots" quite the take lol, lets relax a bit

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Boatright. He didn't have the size or skill level of AJ Price, but he played with a lot of heart and came off to me as more focused and disciplined.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
My biggest complaint is his ego/ cocky swag that he has for no reason. Seems to be lazy at times. Also leaves his feet while driving into the trees with no plan. Works against the cupcakes but not the good teams.

Part of that may be natural, but it's also a common side effect of being "the" guy on your team. He's not had much of a supporting cast from his sophomore season onward. Between that and our tradition of great point guards, he's sort of walked into a lot of hype. Based on his comments about Hurley, it seems he realizes this is a problem.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom