AJ - I don't see it | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AJ - I don't see it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He's a wildcard. Some good, some bad. The bad is his handle you all know it and refuse to acknowledge it.
Bad is handle, shot and guarding on defense. Can he improve yes but it isn't happening over night for sure.

Reaction Score
While TM is sidelined. I could easily see AJ being more assertive on offense when the openings are there. Not dramatically changing his role but helping make up for some of Martin's offensive output for the benefit of the team.

Reaction Score
Posters are starting threads to make generic attacks on individual players already? Don’t we usually wait until January to do that?
He got 3 pages to post and run. In November. God we're all so bored, I guess...

Reaction Score
People seem to forget where we were. I’ll take a great athlete creating chaos and pushing the ball (and all that goes with it - good and bad) over the half court pass around the perimeter last second jacked up three, or the waste half the clock high weave any day of the week.

Out of chaos will eventually emerge art.

His pushing the ball up court after defensive boards led to several good looks in the VCU game. They just didn’t drop. Some games they will.

THIS.

When AJX gets a defensive board and pushes up the court you can see he is always looking for RJ, who is working off the ball, to be open for a 3 - I'm sure this is Hurley's design - that transition three will be huge for us this season if the initial dunk is not there on the break. If AJAX is creating he doesn't have to be shooting - which is a double bonus.

It is coming, I think Andre is going to be a great player for UCONN this year and next and then will be a successful NBA player.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You should see it . AJ is like 6th on my list of problems.

Im not convinced that Jackson even needs to score conventionally for us. He’s a man on the glass , if he grabs defensive glass he’s a one man outlet push. If he cuts down on no look pass errors, I think between offensive rebounds, and break type baskets, with some foul shots, and an occasional runner, that it could be enough when combined with his other plus side attributes.

No 3’s needed.

“ play to your identity”

Isn’t that this seasons mantra?

Completely agree. If he can focus a little less on the spectacular, whether passing or defending, and a little more on executing, he'd be better. I think he can score on the offensive glass too if he'd slowdown and stop with the tip backs. I think he will keep dialing in his game.

One way to look at it: would you want to play against him? He has to create matchup nightmares for other teams.

Reaction Score
Well the one thing this thread guarantees is that Andre will have an excellent game tomorrow and then posters will start saying he's definitely a NBA first round draft pick this June.

Same thing for the team as a whole. I'm amazed at how many people are saying that a blowout win over 3-5 Grambling will assuage their concerns.

Reaction Score
Jesus, all you guys complaining about AJAX are a bunch of cry babies. I see the glass half-full personally. Note the nice lob pass to Whaley to end a tumultuous game against VCU in the Bahama Classic or whatever. He has instincts, just need to let him flourish.
Sounds like the right prescription..............

Reaction Score
Bad is handle, shot and guarding on defense. Can he improve yes but it isn't happening over night for sure.
So.....can't dribble, shoot or guard. But let's play him 30 a night. Makes sense.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Same thing for the team as a whole. I'm amazed at how many people are saying that a blowout win over 3-5 Grambling will assuage their concerns.

Down two of of the three best players, it would be encouraging. For me, the effort wasn't there against MES. The played like all they needed to do was show up. So if I see what I need to see in terms of hustle, intensity, effort and execution. Well, good. If they play that way they will be as good as they can be, and I can't ask for more.

Reaction Score
I think the lasting memory of a freshman foul machine clouds their judgment. The kid rebounds well, is long and a pest defensively, and makes some great passes. A unique talent. I see the promise, but I can see the opposing viewpoint.
His athletic ability has covered up some of his defensive flaws. Andre has been able to recover enough to block some shots from behind after his man gets by him. I find Jackson's biggest shortcoming is for a 6'7" guy with a decent handle he has no moves to the basket yet. He has improved a lot from his freshman year though and I expect this to continue. Just cutting down on turnovers will make him a much better player.

Reaction Score
Why do people keep saying Andre is bad on defense? Am I missing something?
Because he can't guard on the ball and he constantly gets beat back door. have you been watching??

Reaction Score
AJack is starting to look like Stanley Robinson. Not identical games. Pretty different actually. but a nba level athlete without nba skills.

He's a fine player. Love he's on the team. Im actually a bit worried about him transferring. I'm worried he's going to start to wonder if he'd be developing better somewhere else.

I think you just need to adjust your expectations.

Reaction Score
His athletic ability has covered up some of his defensive flaws. Andre has been able to recover enough to block some shots from behind after his man gets by him. I find Jackson's biggest shortcoming is for a 6'7" guy with a decent handle he has no moves to the basket yet. He has improved a lot from his freshman year though and I expect this to continue. Just cutting down on turnovers will make him a much better player.
I see everything you do, he's a unique talent that can thrill you and drive you nuts almost back to back. Very involved, I guess. I'm not sold on his handle, despite his vision and passing ability. If his handle was real good he would take guys off the dribble on occasion given his tremendous athleticism. Maybe I see it clicking for him because his ceiling is so high? I think mostly he is a high character kid who will work hard, figure it out and succeed. Then again, I'm definitely in the pro Ajax camp.

Reaction Score
Don't think he was a point in HS. This is new.

Reaction Score
Down two of of the three best players, it would be encouraging. For me, the effort wasn't there against MES. The played like all they needed to do was show up. So if I see what I need to see in terms of hustle, intensity, effort and execution. Well, good. If they play that way they will be as good as they can be, and I can't ask for more.

I don't take much, good or bad, from the blowouts over overmatched teams. The MES game that caused this board to implode was an obvious game that they would come out flat for. In my opinion, it has absolutely zero predictive value and - even having been on this board for a long time - I'm still amazed at the freak-out it caused and the 180s people did on certain players.

Reaction Score
Hurley got our players up defensively for the MSU game. That’s what this team is capable of against good opponents. We’re also capable of bad performances if the effort is not there and we have cold shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom