After Boatright, who do you think are the next most important players to step up? | The Boneyard

After Boatright, who do you think are the next most important players to step up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In what order would you put them?

I put Boat at the very top because for this team to be very good he needs to take the mantle from Shabazz.

1. Purvis - because backcourts win championships.

2. Hamilton - We lost a lot of scoring from last year's team, and Hamilton is one who needs to pick up much of it.

3. Brimah - We lost more bigs then we replenished. Brimah needs to learn how to stay on the floor longer and increase his productivity.

Everyone else needs to improve and contribute and we'll be fine. IMO, is those four that I mentioned above need to play at a high level for us to be special.

What go you guys think?

Reaction Score
Omar Calhoun is #1 for me. We lost an a-ton of shooting from last years team and Omar is the guy best suited to fill the void. Purvis and Hamilton will obviously be important as well, but they aren't really known as shooters.

Reaction Score
I would also put Omar above Boat.

'Show us what you got Omar!'

Reaction Score
I don't think Boat needs to step up the most but continue with what he he did in last year's postseason. He needs to be consistent in running the team but Id say Purvis and Hamilton just for the scoring.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how omar usurps hamilton out of the small forward position, although it is possible if hamilton is a horrible defender. I'm rooting for omar, but what are the chances hes been able to rework his entire basketball skillset this summer? He is our third guard off the bench in my head, therefore his improvement is not really that important.

Its purvis for me, he kinda needs to be our star player. Then as dogmania noted, brimahs ability to increase productivity is important .

Reaction Score
I agree Brimah needs to stay on the floor more and stay out of foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Nolan - adds to his arsenal

Omar - can come off the bench with some confidence and deliver?

Cassell Jr - can he be another scoring threat when clued upon or foul trouble occurs?

Facey - Can he jump a couple levels in his game?

Lubin - can he get double figures in rebounds?

Reaction Score
Call it a gut instinct, but I think Omar's our best small forward next year. Maybe I have my head buried in the sand regarding how good he really is, but he showed me way too much his freshman year to think he's just going to be a bench player for the rest of his career.

Reaction Score
Call it a gut instinct, but I think Omar's our best small forward next year. Maybe I have my head buried in the sand regarding how good he really is, but he showed me way too much his freshman year to think he's just going to be a bench player for the rest of his career.

Omar has to bring it defensively. As mentioned he is fully capable of delivering on O. The same applies to Hamilton. Whoever commits to defense deserves the most minutes across the board. You don't like Samuel much but he is a proven commodity in big game situations so forgetting about him just isn't fair. He needs consistency in his outside shot. Lets see if he improves in that area. IF he does look out...we already know he can drain clutch free throws and defend. It should be fun! Omar at SF hitting on all cylinders would be a tremendous asset.

Reaction Score
Omar has to bring it defensively. As mentioned he is fully capable of delivering on O. The same applies to Hamilton. Whoever commits to defense deserves the most minutes across the board. You don't like Samuel much but he is a proven commodity in big game situations so forgetting about him just isn't fair. He needs consistency in his outside shot. Lets see if he improves in that area. IF he does look out...we already know he can drain clutch free throws and defend. It should be fun! Omar at SF hitting on all cylinders would be a tremendous asset.
Samuel was huge in big situations .
He could be the shot that Kromah gave us last year.
This team has the potential to be better on d than last year.

Reaction Score
I don't think Boat needs to step up the most but continue with what he he did in last year's postseason. He needs to be consistent in running the team but Id say Purvis and Hamilton just for the scoring.
I agree a 100%. That's why to subject line says, After Boatright, who do you think... RB just needs perform at the level he did during the NCAAs and sustain close to that on a consistent basis. It's the other players need to step up and improve as the season goes on to end up a much better team than many are giving them credit for. I have high hopes for this team. They might be a work in progress early on, but as they get closer to when it counts most, watch the h*ll out!

Reaction Score

Haha...that's the first time somebody has accused me of not liking Samuel. I'm a big fan. He'll play a lot next year, and if neither D-Ham or Omar are up to the task defensively, he will be playing crunch time in the back court alongside Boatright and Purvis.

Reaction Score
I am going with Brimah. Uconn is a different team when he is on the floor. Block shots and rebound and stay out of foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Haha...that's the first time somebody has accused me of not liking Samuel. I'm a big fan. He'll play a lot next year, and if neither D-Ham or Omar are up to the task defensively, he will be playing crunch time in the back court alongside Boatright and Purvis.

Nice!!!!!!!! I prolly don't spend enough time here then. :) Sounds great!

Reaction Score
Obviously, Boat, Purvis and DHam will drive the offense and Brimah will be a huge contributor on D.

Any signs of life from Omar will be a bonus. I respect the love for him on here but saying he's the 2nd most important player is absolutely nuts.

Facey is an X Factor. Huge hole at PF. No one knows if he's a viable rotation player. Basically all he needs to do is beat out Rock for PT. Eye ball test? Rock and his HUGE frame eventually wins.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I agree a 100%. That's why to subject line says, After Boatright, who do you think... RB just needs perform at the level he did during the NCAAs and sustain close to that on a consistent basis. It's the other players need to step up and improve as the season goes on to end up a much better team than many are giving them credit for. I have high hopes for this team. They might be a work in progress early on, but as they get closer to when it counts most, watch the h*ll out!
I have to disagree on this (not just you - several made this point). What made Boat so great at the end of the year was they he totally deferred to Napier. It was Napier's team and Napier's job to run the offense. Fortunately Boat bought in fully and also bought into playing the best defense he possibly could. He was Ricky Moore to El Amin.

This year he has to learn to take the reigns and guide they team. That's a tough thing to do - it took Napier a year of awkwardness after Kemba left to get good at it.

There were too many times last season when Napier went to the bench and the offense just sputtered along with nobody really knowing what to do but wait til 7 seconds and drive. It definitely got better by the end of the year, but it's still a brand new and very difficult role for Boat to fill. And it is the key for UConn to go anywhere this season. He is by far the key if they want to chase greatness.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think Boatright is going to do a great job leading the team. He's a tough, fearless kid from Chicago and he's been waiting for this moment for 3 years under the preparation of Kevin Ollie. He also has the talent around him where he won't have to really carry a team like Shabazz or Kemba.

Reaction Score
We have a lot of good players. Every player is important thats why this question is almost impossible to answer. I feel we have 10 good players with a leader in Boatright. If the guys play smart unselfish basketball and tough on D were going to be very very good. So anyone can step up but the collective parts are the sum of this team.

Reaction Score
Obviously, Boat, Purvis and DHam will drive the offense and Brimah will be a huge contributor on D.

Any signs of life from Omar will be a bonus. I respect the love for him on here but saying he's the 2nd most important player is absolutely nuts.

Facey is an X Factor. Huge hole at PF. No one knows if he's a viable rotation player. Basically all he needs to do is beat out Rock for PT. Eye ball test? Rock and his HUGE frame eventually wins.

I don't think anyone said he was the 2nd most important player did they?

This was about who "steps up" not about who is the most important nor the one's we feel WILL step up. I consider this the other guys who need to step up. We know or feel Rodney and Daniel will have a hand in this on offense especially and Amida will be a nice part as he grows into his spot. If Phil Nolan gets stronger and can step out and make a jump shot to boot and throw in some jump hooks they become immediately better. We know he can defend........Omar making shots off the bench and the Facey's and Lubins finding minutes doing the little things and improving.

Reaction Score
I think Boatright is going to do a great job leading the team. He's a tough, fearless kid from Chicago and he's been waiting for this moment for 3 years under the preparation of Kevin Ollie. He also has the talent around him where he won't have to really carry a team like Shabazz or Kemba.

I love his quotes this week in the paper, sounds like a leader. As long as he tries to be Ryan and not Kemba or Bazz we will be fine. He's not either of those 2 offensively but he is potentially better than both defensively. Keep the TO's down and let the scorers score and we'll be fine. He seems to be grasping that role, we'll see!

Reaction Score
We have a very talented team. But championships are won mostly by seasoned players (UConn vs Kentucky for example). So RB, AB, PN and OC all have to step up if we are to repeat. The freshmen will contribute and some will surprise and I am very hopeful that Kevin Ollie will get them all to play like the champions they are. Very excited about this year. I have been in the dump with football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom