Africa Safari | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Africa Safari

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
ok, i'll bite. whatsa Big 5? and who decided?
Essentially the 5 most dangerous to humans - lions, elephants, cape buffalo, leopards and rhinos. plenty of other cool animals on safari like giraffes, wild dogs, hyenas, and hippos!

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
My wife and I went to SA about 4 years ago and did safari in Kruger and a private reserve called Karongwe. We were able to see the big 5 plus some cheetah and a pair of honey badgers which I guess is really rare.

The private reserve was definitely more luxurious but there is something about Kruger that makes the sightings feel more special.

We went during April which is their fall. Another poster talked about the foliage being an issue at certain times of year and we arrived after the foliage had started thinning. Plus the heat and mosquitos were not as bad.

Can't recommend Cape Town and wine country enough but we did go before the drought.

Reaction Score
Since it is such a long trip, think about doing a couple of different places? I would love to go back and do the great migration. I was in Kruger which was great. You can get quite comfortable at the private reserves that border Kruger...most will also take you into Kruger.

As for time of year...I was there in July because of work..it was perfect. Was low-mid 70's and because it is their dry season, many animals gather around the watering holes and views are clear. The fact the weather in NJ was mid 90's and humid when I was in Africa was a bonus..

Reaction Score
As someone else noted, if you are at all interested in wine I would strongly recommend a trip down toward Cape Town. Much more beautiful landscape than Napa/CA and a very different tasting experience. Very cheap, usually free and you taste a lot of wines. Much less crowded and commercialized, much more personal. While you're down there, South Africa has a lot of marine viewing available as well if that's your thing. There are two penguin colonies you can view, Boulders near Cape Town and one in Betty's Baai further east. Its pretty cool to see them in the wild. While you're down that way you could head to Hermanus/Gansbaai for some of the best whale and shark viewing in the world. Scads of Southern Right Whales (not sure of the entire season but definitely there in October). We've gone out in boats but there are plenty to see from the cliffs overlooking the water as well. Also Great White Shark cage diving. You might also see some on a whale watch (we did). The cage diving is a bit of a long day but a very unique experience. The whale watching boat will probably take you past Seal Island through Shark Alley where many of the photos of sharks breaching to eat seals are taken.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
Just for clarity - Kruger is the National Park and you HAVE to stay on roads throughout the park. Not luxurious and you drive yourself, camp etc. The private Parks tend to cluster around Kruger, Ngala, Sabi Sands, Kirkman's - in the private parks you get the same "game" but the large vehicles (think topless land cruisers built like tanks) will go off road to follow the big 5. In the evening we followed a leopard stalking impala's up and down hillsides. At Ngala there is a dry river bed (in July/August) we cruised up and down in to follow giraffes, elephants, and lions.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
As someone else noted, if you are at all interested in wine I would strongly recommend a trip down toward Cape Town. Much more beautiful landscape than Napa/CA and a very different tasting experience. Very cheap, usually free and you taste a lot of wines. Much less crowded and commercialized, much more personal. While you're down there, South Africa has a lot of marine viewing available as well if that's your thing. There are two penguin colonies you can view, Boulders near Cape Town and one in Betty's Baai further east. Its pretty cool to see them in the wild. While you're down that way you could head to Hermanus/Gansbaai for some of the best whale and shark viewing in the world. Scads of Southern Right Whales (not sure of the entire season but definitely there in October). We've gone out in boats but there are plenty to see from the cliffs overlooking the water as well. Also Great White Shark cage diving. You might also see some on a whale watch (we did). The cage diving is a bit of a long day but a very unique experience. The whale watching boat will probably take you past Seal Island through Shark Alley where many of the photos of sharks breaching to eat seals are taken.
Cape Town and the wine country are a totally doable and worth it add on. I second the cage diving to see the great whites and the penguins. Also St James Beach has the most picturesque beach changing rooms - worth seeing. Cape Town itself with Lion's Head, Table Mountain and Bo-Kaap are all great sites and not terribly strenuous to walk around.

Reaction Score
Just for clarity - Kruger is the National Park and you HAVE to stay on roads throughout the park. Not luxurious and you drive yourself, camp etc. The private Parks tend to cluster around Kruger, Ngala, Sabi Sands, Kirkman's - in the private parks you get the same "game" but the large vehicles (think topless land cruisers built like tanks) will go off road to follow the big 5. In the evening we followed a leopard stalking impala's up and down hillsides. At Ngala there is a dry river bed (in July/August) we cruised up and down in to follow giraffes, elephants, and lions.
The private reserve we stayed in also brought us into Kruger using their jeeps

Reaction Score
The whale watching boat will probably take you past Seal Island through Shark Alley where many of the photos of sharks breaching to eat seals are taken.
No need to go all the way to SA to see great whites breaching. You can get that on Cape Cod. :)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Essentially the 5 most dangerous to humans - lions, elephants, cape buffalo, leopards and rhinos. plenty of other cool animals on safari like giraffes, wild dogs, hyenas, and hippos!

Have seen all of those at Southwicks zoo. I suspect that the most dangerous might be Crocodiles and Great Whites. Have one of those two in abundance in Mass as well.

Reaction Score
Any idea on budget? # of people? Sooo many options.

Tanzania and Kenya are similar in terms of the big 5. Tanzania is the more kind of "luxury" spot traditionally.
Been to Tanzania. Saw Mt Kilimanjaro in the City of Arusha, and the Ngorongoro Crater was indescribable. Would highly recommend it.

Drumguy

Reaction Score
The private reserve we stayed in also brought us into Kruger using their jeeps
Yeah, the animals certainly don't care about borders, I'm just relaying what they told us; in Kruger you must stay on the roads, in private parks they veer off road to see the big 5. Ngala is so big that we didn't have to leave the private park to see everything. We stayed in the "tented" camp and had hyenas and lions in the camp, warthogs too and elephants at the pool. The people who stayed in the Ngala lodges needed to drive about 45 minutes to get to where we were. We flew out from the airstrip next to the lodge up to Victoria Falls.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
We went to Rwanda in 2011; and saw the mountain gorillas. I enjoyed that because while the guides say you must stay 10m or more away from the animals, some of the animals are have a habit of walking up to you and sitting on your lap!

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
When I go to South Africa I'm usually searching for Sugar Man.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I went on a safari in Orlando.

Saw the big five and a bunch of other stuff. Saw an elephant standing next to a big honking tree.

IMG-0703.jpg

Cool thing was that there was a monorail connecting the plains with the wilderness lodge. Think we ate dinner at Planet Hollywood that night. It was too loud - probably bothered the animals.

Definitely not cheap, though.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Saw the big five and a bunch of other stuff. Saw an elephant standing next to a big honking tree.

IMG-0703.jpg

Cool thing was that there was a monorail connecting the plains with the wilderness lodge. Think we ate dinner at Planet Hollywood that night. It was too loud - probably bothered the animals.

you mean Rainforest Cafe

Reaction Score

IMG-0703.jpg

Yup, my son and I saw that too. The tree of life!

"a bugs life" was fun too

Reaction Score
I went in November during the low rain season so I was able to go to a place called Devil's Pool and hang over a section of Victoria Falls as a local man and a stranger held my feet so I didn't fall over. Suffice it to say it's a moment I won't forget.

So you missed the rains?

Reaction Score
So you missed the rains?
I did.

Although there was one evening I was awoken by the sound of rain pouring outside my pitch black tent. It was so damn hot I remember being thrilled because I thought it would cool things down a bit. Still half asleep, I looked out the window and saw a perfectly clear sky – something was up. I grabbed my flashlight to see what was going on and realized the sound wasn't rain at all, it was an elephant propped against my tent about six feet from me. I could see the indentation of its massive body pushed into the canvas, the sound was actually the whooshing of its trunk grabbing branches from a tree right outside as it fed itself.

I remember jumping out of bed, not knowing what to do. I wanted to grab my camera and get a shot of it but opted to turn off the flashlight and shut the Elvis up so I wouldn't draw its attention. After standing there silent for a few minutes, I watched the giant, shadowy indentation retract as the elephant walked away.

It was pure awesomesauce. I've done a fair amount of traveling in my life, there is nothing like a safari.

Reaction Score
I hiked Kilimanjaro and did a 3 day safari back in 2006. The safari included Lake Manyara NP, Tarangire NP, and Ngorongoro Crater. The crater was the best. If I went back, i'd probably want to see the great migration up in the Serengeti.

One thing about safari's....it's a lot of sitting around, and driving over bumpy 4WD roads. Our Kili guide scored us weed for the safari, which greatly enhanced the experience, lol.

Reaction Score
We went to Rwanda in 2011; and saw the mountain gorillas. I enjoyed that because while the guides say you must stay 10m or more away from the animals, some of the animals are have a habit of walking up to you and sitting on your lap!
View attachment 45009
The gorilla suit helps you get pretty close. I can't even tell which is which in this movie.

Reaction Score
I did.

Although there was one evening I was awoken by the sound of rain pouring outside my pitch black tent. It was so damn hot I remember being thrilled because I thought it would cool things down a bit. Still half asleep, I looked out the window and saw a perfectly clear sky – something was up. I grabbed my flashlight to see what was going on and realized the sound wasn't rain at all, it was an elephant propped against my tent about six feet from me. I could see the indentation of its massive body pushed into the canvas, the sound was actually the whooshing of its trunk grabbing branches from a tree right outside as it fed itself.

I remember jumping out of bed, not knowing what to do. I wanted to grab my camera and get a shot of it but opted to turn off the flashlight and shut the Elvis up so I wouldn't draw its attention. After standing there silent for a few minutes, I watched the giant, shadowy indentation retract as the elephant walked away.

It was pure awesomesauce. I've done a fair amount of traveling in my life, there is nothing like a safari.
That sounds like a fantastic experience. I went a few years ago to Masai Mara. I heard the drums echoing one night. But she heard only whispers of some quiet conversation. She was coming in, 12:30 flight. The moonlit wings reflected the stars that guided me towards salvation. I stopped an old man along the way. Hoping to find some old forgotten words or ancient melodies. He turned to me as if to say, "Hurry boy, it's waiting there for you".

Reaction Score
Factors to consider: what do you want to do (game drives, cultural experiences, other); small group tours or private; luxury, very nice or budget; any particular countries. If the tour includes travel to other countries and areas remote from where you start, be sure you don't end up with any 8 hour bus rides. Look for intratour air travel for long distances.

You can do long distance plans with operators in Africa or use your travel agent, but one way to save the trouble of putting together all the elements of a trip would be to start with some tour operators based in the USofA, like Tauck, Odysseys Unlimited or Abercrombie and Kent. Some even include the airfare.

They offer small group tours to different locations all over Africa, all times of the year and all stay at very nice hotels. We liked the idea of meeting other people and had the good fortune to be with two great groups. Group size for the two we did were 14 and 10 and most use the same hotels but check them out online. With Odysseys Unlimited we stayed on the rim of the Ngorongoro Crater in the same hotel chain Tauck uses, for example, Serena Lodge, and that was true for the other areas of the Serengeti. Not sure about A&K. If you want posh they're a good place to start, but our focus was on game drives, not 1000 thread count sheets. And if you want to do a hot air balloon ride and it's not included you can easily add it.

The first thing we did was look for tours that offered lots of game drives. The tours typically have one or two per day, with one early in the AM and one in the afternoon, with a night drive sometimes offered. Parts of days may be reserved for travel if you're going to different parks/countries and other parts are reserved for sightseeing other than game drives, hot air ballon rides and cultural events, depending on where you are. We found the guides would modify the itinerary slightly if we all wanted an additional game drive for example.

After reviewing tour operators' offerings we made our choice based on which stayed in the nicer lodges/tented camps and offered the game drives we had as our top priority. If we were on safari for 10-14 days we wanted 15-20 game drives.

We liked late July/August because the weather is dry and cool (need blankets on your lap on the early AM drives) and the animals are active. First trip was two nights in Johannesburg, three in Botswana (Chobe), three in Zimbabwe (Victoria Falls area), three in Zambia (luxury tented lodges on the Zambesi River) and three/four days in Cape Town at the One&Only Cape Town with its great view of
Table Top Mountain and other sights as shown below: Fine woman not included.

The second trip was Tanzania and we focused on seeing the Great Migration so we chose late July..........unfortunately there were drought conditions which lead to the Migration happening a couple weeks earlier that year.

We did have the good fortune to see a fresh lion kill of a water buffalo in the late afternoon one day (five adults and one young male lion) and the aftermath of the kill the next morning. The lions were still around, about 100 feet away in the tall grass, but they were so stuffed they were just laying around. However, while there were only the lions the afternoon of the kill, the next morning there were about a dozen vultures and 60 to 80 hyenas arrayed around the kill but about 25 to 200 feet away. The birds were bold and tugging at the little flesh left on the ribcage and legs, while the hyenas were warily approaching with their heads moving like bobblehead dolls as they kept their eyes on the nearby lions. One lion heard the crack of a rib as one of the hyenas snapped it off and got up and strolled over to the carcass. As it did so, the birds scattered and the hyenas bolted away. You'd think that many hyenas (brutes with massive jaws and bodies) cold do a number on a lion but there's a reason the lion is king of the jungle/serengeti.

Reaction Score
Starting to plan the trip, tentatively for next summer and for 2 weeks but could be longer. I decided to contact Zicasso to have them plan it and come up with several possible itineraries. The reviews are great for them, and it started with me filling out a survey with basic wishes for trip, length of time, rough budget, and any particular things that I want to see or do. I was contacted right away by someone from Zicasso, who said she will start planning, and a couple of other planners also will be involved.
For the trip, which I might have to pare down due to cost or length of time or logistics, I'm hoping to go to 1) South Africa and Cape Town (see Cape Town, go to Garden route that is supposed to be beautiful, see the penguins on beach/island nearby, go on whale & shark boat watch, also see wineries), 2) Kruger Park for safari at one of the private reserves, 3) Botswana for the Okavanga Delta, 4) Zimbabwe for the Ngorongo Crater , 5) Victoria Falls (and possibly white water rafting), and 6) possibly Kenya (or Tanzania) for the great migration. We might have to drop this last one, I don't know how much stamina we will have let alone my in-laws who are 82 and 85 years old.
We might have to take longer than 14 days to fit in all of that, or we might have to chop the itinerary a bit. Also, I didn't know what to say as far as budget, but to put down something at least, I said including air fare from US that it should be $8-10,000 per person.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I've been on two and cannot recommend them enough. I went on my first one solo and it included the Okavango Delta in Botswana, which is home to some of the most stunning wildlife in the world - though it's one of the most expensive areas of Africa. You can head north from there and spend some time in Zambia to see great game there as well as Victoria Falls. I went in November during the low rain season so I was able to go to a place called Devil's Pool and hang over a section of Victoria Falls as a local man and a stranger held my feet so I didn't fall over. Suffice it to say it's a moment I won't forget.

Planning a safari involves a lot but here's some basic tips to help you:

- Go for a minimum of 10 days. The flight there is so long you'll want to give yourself time to adjust to the time change and enjoy the freakish wonder of it all.

- It's expensive no matter how you do it but I highly recommend spending the extra money to get private tent camps and guides for you and your family if you can afford it. A lot of people save money by staying at less expensive hotels located outside of big parks and end up waiting in long lines of jeeps and busses to see the animals.

- Speaking of costs, make sure you get quotes from at least 2 or 3 different tour operators in order to get the best price. Give them your budget and wish list and see what the come up with, the competition will assure you the best deal. They can organize something that will include the big 5. The last time I went I ended up using a great operator who has now organized two other amazing trips for friends. Reach out to me directly if you want his info.

- Africa is a huge continent so you can find a great country to visit any time during the year. I would recommend going during a country's shoulder season to get the best deal. I went to Kenya in June 2016, right before the Great Migration was scheduled to go through there. I ended up staying at beautiful tent camps that were literally half the price of what they would have been 3 weeks later. And the best part is the Great Migration ended up showing up early so I found myself in a jeep in the Masai Mara as thousands of animals ran by us. It was freakishly cool.

- No need to worry about your father-in-law keeping up. If he can get into a jeep with some help, that's about as demanding a task as he'll face. I went with a close friend who has MS on my last trip and it was never an issue.

- If you really want to do it right at a luxury tent camp, you should probably figure on spending close to $500 a day per person overall - plus the flight. That will include all your accommodations, food, drinks, game drives, tips etc. So something like 4 people for 10 days you're probably looking at $20K plus flights. There's simply no getting around it, it's very expensive but it will be the most incredible adventure you'll ever experience. Just do it, your father-in-law will be eternally thankful.
This is awesome. You're gonna take some time to do the things you never had?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom