Africa Safari | The Boneyard

Africa Safari

Reaction Score
Anyone gone on a safari and have thoughts or advice? I'm thinking next year, my father-in-law who just turned 85 is slowing down but said the one place he'd like to go is Africa for a safari. They live in California FWIW. I said that I would plan something, and so any ideas would be helpful.
The trip would have to be geared to non-hikers, and my in-laws would appreciate more luxury or at least quality comforts versus a more budget type. They are all expensive from what I understand, anyway.
Goals so far as just to see the Big 5 if possible. It doesn't have to be any specific county although Cape Town sounds nice (severe drought though) and is near other attractions such as wine and Flower Route? Where is Okavenga Delta, that has good animal sightings too I hear.
I myself would also like to see Victoria Falls, and I might have to do it alone, but white water rafting on either the Zambesi River of the White Nile would be fantastic.
Not sure when is good time to go, either, to see the animals and to have good weather that isn't too hot.
Thanks!
"

Reaction Score
Her is a thread on that topic: Africa (and not the Toto song)

I went a few years in Kenya, Masai Mara. Here is some basic info I gave to Jay-Bone based on my experience (you might to hit him up for info on his experiences).

Hey! Yeah well I don't have much to compare but my girlfriend lived in Nairobi for a few years as well as Zimbabwe and while living there she traveled pretty much everywhere for work and tourism. She says Kenya over Tanzania. She recommends Huange if that's an option. She said be prepared to be tired as that is a ton packed into a pretty short time (for what you're doing). She said her impression is that you're not so concerned about money since that kind of trip is quite expensive - but that you get more for your money in Kenya.

Back to my impression - although I have nothing to compare my trip to, I thought our safari in MM was well organized and professional. (We got a great deal on a new lodge promotion and with resident rates.) Nairobi is a fairly modern city - not too exciting in itself in my opinion. But I think that's about the best you'll get in a city in sub saharan Africa - outside of South Africa. My gf loves South Africa btw - she's been mentioning it as a place she'd like to move to next.

Hope this helps - and enjoy!

Reaction Score
I'm also looking into going on a Safari next year. AAA has a trip in the beginning of December next year to South Africa that has everything you are looking for. They also offer the same trip in May. I believe we are going to do the December trip. It's a bit pricey but looks worth it.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Always wanted to go on an African safari. My wife and I talked about that for a honeymoon since we never actually took one when we got married. Have to get there before the poachers kill off all the animals in their natural habitat.

That and I really want to tell the lions how tigers are the true Kings of the jungle.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I'd guess that the lions aren't planning to go to Asia to find out. They're kings where they are.

This is true. In Roman times smart money rode on the tiger in the popular lion vs. tiger Colosseum battles.

Reaction Score
I've been on several, all in South Africa: Pilanesburg, Entabeni, Sabi Sands, Kruger (three times, once at night), and two smaller ones for which I can't remember the names. Johannesburg is more of a major airport so SA might be an easier location to get to compared to other countries. Much of the landscape of the SA parks is what they call bushveld. There are some open grassy areas but there are a lot of low growing trees, some parts can be quite dense. In this environment I've found October to be a very good time to go. Its spring there and temperatures are comfortable and the animals active. Also, the trees haven't leafed out yet so you have very good visibility and can see more animals. Its the tail end of the dry season as well so weather for viewing is nice. Avoid summer (our winter). Its quite hot and many of the animals, particularly the big cats, are spending days under shady trees resting and are hard to find/see. Also, the foliage is much denser and animals are hidden. Its the rainy season there as well which can make things a bit less pleasant at times. I would recommend mixing in a night drive if you can, there are some different animals active. At night we saw several smaller cats, hyenas, tons of bush babies and others that we didn't see during the day. They give you each a hand-held spotlight you use to search around. Kind of fun.

I tried to attach a short video file from one our safaris but it doesn't seem to be letting me. Perhaps its against the rules. Too bad, a good lion fight.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've been on two and cannot recommend them enough. I went on my first one solo and it included the Okavango Delta in Botswana, which is home to some of the most stunning wildlife in the world - though it's one of the most expensive areas of Africa. You can head north from there and spend some time in Zambia to see great game there as well as Victoria Falls. I went in November during the low rain season so I was able to go to a place called Devil's Pool and hang over a section of Victoria Falls as a local man and a stranger held my feet so I didn't fall over. Suffice it to say it's a moment I won't forget.

Planning a safari involves a lot but here's some basic tips to help you:

- Go for a minimum of 10 days. The flight there is so long you'll want to give yourself time to adjust to the time change and enjoy the freakish wonder of it all.

- It's expensive no matter how you do it but I highly recommend spending the extra money to get private tent camps and guides for you and your family if you can afford it. A lot of people save money by staying at less expensive hotels located outside of big parks and end up waiting in long lines of jeeps and busses to see the animals.

- Speaking of costs, make sure you get quotes from at least 2 or 3 different tour operators in order to get the best price. Give them your budget and wish list and see what the come up with, the competition will assure you the best deal. They can organize something that will include the big 5. The last time I went I ended up using a great operator who has now organized two other amazing trips for friends. Reach out to me directly if you want his info.

- Africa is a huge continent so you can find a great country to visit any time during the year. I would recommend going during a country's shoulder season to get the best deal. I went to Kenya in June 2016, right before the Great Migration was scheduled to go through there. I ended up staying at beautiful tent camps that were literally half the price of what they would have been 3 weeks later. And the best part is the Great Migration ended up showing up early so I found myself in a jeep in the Masai Mara as thousands of animals ran by us. It was freakishly cool.

- No need to worry about your father-in-law keeping up. If he can get into a jeep with some help, that's about as demanding a task as he'll face. I went with a close friend who has MS on my last trip and it was never an issue.

- If you really want to do it right at a luxury tent camp, you should probably figure on spending close to $500 a day per person overall - plus the flight. That will include all your accommodations, food, drinks, game drives, tips etc. So something like 4 people for 10 days you're probably looking at $20K plus flights. There's simply no getting around it, it's very expensive but it will be the most incredible adventure you'll ever experience. Just do it, your father-in-law will be eternally thankful.

Reaction Score
Planning a trip to SA in May 2020 for Kruger then to Victoria Falls and Chobe in Botswana, lots of choices, definitely not a trip to value engineer, beginning trip with transatlantic from Ft. Lauderdale to Rome then to Johannesburg, see the animals I could see in the Animal Kingdom in WDW, then 17 hours non-stop to Atlanta.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
A neighbor just returned from a trip to Africa. They saw three of the major sites and loved it. They also chose to go to Namibia. By far and away her favorite.

Reaction Score
Any idea on budget? # of people? Sooo many options.

Tanzania and Kenya are similar in terms of the big 5. Tanzania is the more kind of "luxury" spot traditionally.

Reaction Score
I lived in Africa for ten years (Guinea, Namibia, Ethiopia and Ghana). For southern Africa SA is easiest and most affordable, Botswana is generally most expensive but Okavanga is amazing. Namibia is somewhere in between and a bit off the beaten path, and also has the advantage that you can rent a vehicle and diy to Etosha and Waterberg within 5 hours of Windhoek. Kenya and Tanzania also have some good options. Never been to Ngorogoro Crater but it is supposed to be amazing.

Reaction Score
I lived in Africa for ten years (Guinea, Namibia, Ethiopia and Ghana). For southern Africa SA is easiest and most affordable, Botswana is generally most expensive but Okavanga is amazing. Namibia is somewhere in between and a bit off the beaten path, and also has the advantage that you can rent a vehicle and diy to Etosha and Waterberg within 5 hours of Windhoek. Kenya and Tanzania also have some good options. Never been to Ngorogoro Crater but it is supposed to be amazing.

Of those you mentioned, Kenya/tanzania are the only two with the big 5, right? OP mentioned wanting to see those

Reaction Score
Of those you mentioned, Kenya/tanzania are the only two with the big 5, right? OP mentioned wanting to see those
I saw the Big 5 in Botswana, and they can all be seen in South Africa, Tanzania, Namibia and Zambia as well. A lot of it is luck, pretty sure the leopard is the toughest because it usually travels alone.

Reaction Score

The Big 5 are in many of the SA parks. I saw them all in Kruger in one day (not at all typical). Leopard is indeed the most elusive. I've only seen one in 12 game drives.

Reaction Score
I went last year, after a lot of great advice from here and a lot of research. Best trip of my life. We customized our trip with a travel agent and went from Nairobi to Masai Mara through the whole Serengeti to Ngorongoro to Lake Manyara to Victoria Falls to Okavenga Delta to Cape Town to Krueger. I don't think I could've planned it any better. I did like the eastern plains better than the south though. I'll wrote more later when I have some time.

Not to brag, but I was really lucky and saw 8 leopards in 3 weeks.

Last edited:

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
It is expensive, so no worries there. For an 85 year old, South Africa speaks english, is relatively well staffed, and I'd bring him through Johanesberg, stay at the airport to acclimate to the time and then go to one of the top private operators around Kruger, You can fly directly to the private camps if you want. We stayed with &Beyond at the Ngala tented. Its first class all the way - They have several camps including Kirkman's and some lodges as well. If you can, stay in a tented camp as it's close to the action and still 5 star You'll be spoiled all the way including stops for coffee and crisps and drinks in the evening. We had a butler assigned to our tent and they did our laundry every day. All the food and drink and top quality.

There's a lot of advice above that is useful, but imho, basically you're better off using a SA tour operator, you're going to pay $800 to $900 per person per night and it will be one of the highlights of your life. We used Rhino Africa to book the safari and did all the rest ourselves. Our summer is their winter which has several advantages including easier to see the animals (less grass). no bugs, moderate temps and less crowds.

You can easily plane ride down to Cape Town and the wine country and up to Victoria Falls as well. We rafted the Zambesi with multiple class 5 rapids o very cool. If you can stay at the Royal Livingstone there.

pm me if you want contact info for the operators.

Reaction Score
My folks have done A&K a couple of times and some other outfit that I can't remember. They liked them both.

I always tell them "go to the zoo" and save yourself the money - they aren't very appreciative of my input.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom