AEH from a MSST Viewpoint | The Boneyard

AEH from a MSST Viewpoint

Reaction Score
Just watched a Coach Vic presser with AEH and Anreil. Coach Vic praised both from their work ethic and attitude. He said they bring it every day and are a positive influence for the whole team. Difficult for me to understand how UCONN could every let this one get away. Coaching is more than X and O, motivation for players to succeed is also paramount.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Andi was a year younger and, by some reports, immature. She couldn't adhere to team rules and exhausted Geno's tolerance. Hopefully, she has learned from that experience. She has basketball talent, though some think it was not up to UConn standards.

Reaction Score
It's Geno's way or the highway.
Guess I just do not see that as a trait desired for a coach. For me a coach molds the playera based upon their talent and not to have a mold the players must fit. For my kid I want a coach to develop their talent not break their will to fit his idea of his player mold.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just watched a Coach Vic presser with AEH and Anreil. Coach Vic praised both from their work ethic and attitude. He said they bring it every day and are a positive influence for the whole team. Difficult for me to understand how UCONN could every let this one get away. Coaching is more than X and O, motivation for players to succeed is also paramount.

Motivation is the generally not a Geno issue. As long as you do not equate motivating to coddling or enabling.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It is beyond me why some, whatever the motivation, continue to bring the topic of AEH up at all and when it's brought up to suggest that somehow Geno erred, a suggestion made without a scintilla of evidence, then I must question the purpose and motivation.

Reaction Score
It is beyond me why some, whatever the motivation, continue to bring the topic of AEH up at all and when it's brought up to suggest that somehow Geno erred, a suggestion made without a scintilla of evidence, then I must question the purpose and motivation.
I am a MSST grad. My reason for inquiring about AEH was not meant to suggest Geno erred in his decision (he is a very successful coach) but to illustrate the difference coaching philosophy makes in a player. AEH is responding to Vic ‘s coaching and is a real asset to MSST. Vic also is a tough task master and pushes his players to play hard and he has had kids that left his program, however I do not think he has ever had a “my way or the hwy” philosophy. As we say in the South, “Different folks respond to different strokes”.

Reaction Score
Maybe because there is way more to the story than people know or realize. Speculation becomes the fingers that play the keyboard.

There is as ive learned , but of course people are going to discredit the seriousness and say nothing negative about the person who was in charge of this decision . So its all moot at this point . AEH rock out in Starkvegas !

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I am a MSST grad. My reason for inquiring about AEH was not meant to suggest Geno erred in his decision (he is a very successful coach) but to illustrate the difference coaching philosophy makes in a player. AEH is responding to Vic ‘s coaching and is a real asset to MSST. Vic also is a tough task master and pushes his players to play hard and he has had kids that left his program, however I do not think he has ever had a “my way or the hwy” philosophy. As we say in the South, “Different folks respond to different strokes”.
Apparently, UConn wasn’t the best fit for her. Good luck to AEH going forward. Perhaps it’s time for all concerned to move on.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Way more ink has been spilled about AEH than is justified by her very short tenure at UConn. Good luck to her. There's a pretty interesting group of players that are wearing jersey's with UCONN on them that might make a better subject for our writers.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Guess I just do not see that as a trait desired for a coach. For me a coach molds the playera based upon their talent and not to have a mold the players must fit. For my kid I want a coach to develop their talent not break their will to fit his idea of his player mold.

I think you are absolutely right, when it comes to talent: you build upon what the player does, and what they're capable of doing (even if the player doesn't recognize that... yet). But, the player has to adapt too, and what they have to adapt to is standards, expectations, culture and structure. Talent and standards are two entirely different things.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
I was an AEH fan from day one and saw her potential and talent as a basketball player. It was my belief and still is, that had she stayed at UConn, she would have given Megan a run for her money, however that did not occur, what I will add though as a follower of her twitter account, some of the Jabs which were clearly aimed at her former university upon leaving, leave a little to be desired and says quite a bit about her as an individual... I am still rooting for her success none the less, except, of course, should fate have it that the two programs should meet over the next 3-4 years

Reaction Score

It has NOTHING to do with talent!!! It has to do with effort, responsibilities, and being a good teammate! Coach Auriemma demands that his players be selfless, hustle, put the TEAM first, and work to be their absolute best on and off the court. NONE of those require talent! If you hadn't noticed, it seems to be working out pretty well for Coach Auriemma!

Reaction Score
I was an AEH fan from day one and saw her potential and talent as a basketball player. It was my belief and still is, that had she stayed at UConn, she would have given Megan a run for her money, however that did not occur, what I will add though as a follower of her twitter account, some of the Jabs which were clearly aimed at her former university upon leaving, leave a little to be desired and says quite a bit about her as an individual... I am still rooting for her success none the less, except, of course, should fate have it that the two programs should meet over the next 3-4 years

Not trying to bash a kid that has left, but AEH is not in the same stratosphere as Walker is! AEH is a spot up shooter that can make the 3 ball at a high rate, she is very 1 dimensional. Walker impacts the game in many different ways. She can attack off the dribble, post up smaller players, rebound, create havoc on defense with her length, run the floor, finish on the break, shoot the 3, etc.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
"Geno is a very successful coach"...No, he is the greatest and most successful living WCBB coach, and possibly in all CBB. And some consider him the same, dead or alive. IMHO.

Reaction Score
"Geno is a very successful coach"...No, he is the greatest and most successful living WCBB coach, and possibly in all CBB. And some consider him the same, dead or alive. IMHO.

I think the best of MBB & WBB dead or alive. He will go down as the best ever by the time he retires.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Welcome to the BY.
I'm not so sure what is so difficult to understand. WCBB is not indentured servitude, kids transfer all the time to find a better situation. That work ethic you describe is not unique to AEH & you don't get recruited to UCONN unless you are a "positive influence for the whole team".
AEH didn't get away, she was merely the latest to leave the UCONN program and we wish her well.

Last edited:

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Not trying to bash a kid that has left, but AEH is not in the same stratosphere as Walker is! AEH is a spot up shooter that can make the 3 ball at a high rate, she is very 1 dimensional. Walker impacts the game in many different ways. She can attack off the dribble, post up smaller players, rebound, create havoc on defense with her length, run the floor, finish on the break, shoot the 3, etc.
And with all of that said there were times last year though brief, where AEH looked more comfortable than Megan did on the court, we have seen what happened with Nurse, who came to UConn a little under the expectation radar.. In Geno's programs kids who play a role on offense but are good defenders tend to fit in/adopt a lot faster, unless they are extremely confident players, as we are currently seeing with Christyn and have seen before with Maya and DT. Plus with all the expectations that came with being the #1 HS player on Megan's shoulders, there would have been less pressure on AEH.... But this is all just my opinion, only time will tell, whether or not they end up in the same stratosphere or not, as they are both currently unproven at the college level, even though Megan appears to be the one with greater potential...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If that truly your reason for posting the use of the phrases "one that got away" and "my way or the hwy philosophy" both in regards to Geno is not helpful. Frankly, I read that both phrases as jabs and others might have also.
Vic's standard and demands on players vs. Geno's makes for a very short comparison. NONE!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom