Adubs European "vacation" | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Adubs European "vacation"

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
No. Can you imagine your former town boss doing it? Because that's who schlepped over the stuff with me. Imagine that.
I'm imagining fancy gift bags full of 5000 calories of crap from Buchanan's, Mackie's, and Tunnock's :D

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So the next day in Edinburgh was the wedding rehearsal and wedding rehearsal dinner . Because a contest was going on between parents of bride, who simply rented the castle the bride wanted to get married in, not competing, but the grooms parents decided to rent out and shut down the national museum of Scotland on a Saturday in Dick swinging response rehearse a wedding that was 20 miles away the next day, , and instead of a rehearsal dinner for the small wedding party they invited all 93 attendees of the wedding to this rehearsal reception

The bride is very self centered ( as already evidenced) and also had hired an Edinburgh wedding planner for huge money. Who it turns out is absolutely useless. The bride wanted to have gift bags with local trinkets for all the attendees at rehearsal. Did she do it? How about her ridiculously overpriced wedding coordinator? What was the the plan?

There wasn’t one. It last minute ended up being Adub and the step- father get to this pointless reception schlepping 90 bags worth of crap 2 hours earlier than scheduled in an Uber and then putting every bag together and tying a name to it. And then the bride got there and complained about it!

Also , the deal went from 7 pm to 10 ( 5 pm for me) and they had a full open bar with top shelf stuff which was nice, but no food! Just a few amuse bouche deals. Crackers and salmon. Or whitefish. You can imagine what parents of kids were thinking. I mean it’s DINNER time!

National museum rehearsal before rest of people showed.

View attachment 77769
Good Lord. I had a fairly "big" wedding, not anything like that obscenity. But we did everything we could for the guests. It was built around them, not us. Our wedding planner was awesome. If you have that kind of money to spend, it takes a particular level of self-absorption to not take proper care of your guests. The rehearsal dinner is supposed to provide genuine food for people who are busy trying to make your wedding go well.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Been to Europe once

Flew in to Zurich and out from Munich.

I don’t think I will be trusting any future trips to that continent in the hands of anyone other than the Germans lol
Funny I read all the time how bad Lufthansa has become.

I'm supposed to fly KLM, Vueling, and Iberia in September. Expecting bad things but locked in lounge access for the outbound so at least if we get severely delayed I can get severely inebriated
Learned this week that my daughter is supposed to do two overseas summer semesters for her major in college. One each of the next two summers. I was thinking UK for at least one. But damn, I'm not sure anyplace is functional anymore. Maybe Ireland. I don't even want to think about the logistics of a 20 year old girl and her "stuff" for 6 weeks.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
XAL index now down to the 56's.
morons on wall street starting to realize 'consumer demand' is slip sliding away.
they should have read dubsters musings on world travel to learn that p.i.t.a. ain't just a loaf of bread.

Reaction Score
So the next day in Edinburgh was the wedding rehearsal and wedding rehearsal dinner . Because a contest was going on between parents of bride, who simply rented the castle the bride wanted to get married in, not competing, but the grooms parents decided to rent out and shut down the national museum of Scotland on a Saturday in Dick swinging response rehearse a wedding that was 20 miles away the next day, , and instead of a rehearsal dinner for the small wedding party they invited all 93 attendees of the wedding to this rehearsal reception

The bride is very self centered ( as already evidenced) and also had hired an Edinburgh wedding planner for huge money. Who it turns out is absolutely useless. The bride wanted to have gift bags with local trinkets for all the attendees at rehearsal. Did she do it? How about her ridiculously overpriced wedding coordinator? What was the the plan?

There wasn’t one. It last minute ended up being Adub and the step- father get to this pointless reception schlepping 90 bags worth of crap 2 hours earlier than scheduled in an Uber and then putting every bag together and tying a name to it. And then the bride got there and complained about it!

Also , the deal went from 7 pm to 10 ( 5 pm for me) and they had a full open bar with top shelf stuff which was nice, but no food! Just a few amuse bouche deals. Crackers and salmon. Or whitefish. You can imagine what parents of kids were thinking. I mean it’s DINNER time!

View attachment 77769

Holy crap. How much did they spend on this thing?

Reaction Score
I’m imagining bags of haggis.
Put the haggis in Wendy's bags and A Dub wouldn't even be giving them out. They would have all ended up in his room.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Learned this week that my daughter is supposed to do two overseas summer semesters for her major in college. One each of the next two summers. I was thinking UK for at least one. But damn, I'm not sure anyplace is functional anymore. Maybe Ireland. I don't even want to think about the logistics of a 20 year old girl and her "stuff" for 6 weeks.
Galway, Edinburgh or Cardiff.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'd think the selection of locale would have a lot to do with her major, no?

Since I know you lean libertarian, I'm hoping the kid goes to Amsterdam and Prague :eek:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Galway, Edinburgh or Cardiff.
The first would be my wife's choice for sure, not an option sadly. We'd all like Edinburgh, not on the summer session list. Same for Cardiff. London School of Economics is on the summer list for her major.
I'd think the selection of locale would have a lot to do with her major, no?

Since I know you lean libertarian, I'm hoping the kid goes to Amsterdam and Prague :eek:
Prague would be cool, but not an option. I'm thinking Lyon, which is on the list and fits her major. She likes France. Umbra Institute in Perugia Italy is as well. And ugh...Sydney. Sadly her only non English language is mediocre Spanish.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
No. Can you imagine your former town boss doing it? Because that's who schlepped over the stuff with me. Imagine that.
I can't imagine that.

After all of this, your wedding will end up being a pool party on Foxboro Point. j/k

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The first would be my wife's choice for sure, not an option sadly. We'd all like Edinburgh, not on the summer session list. Same for Cardiff. London School of Economics is on the summer list for her major.

Prague would be cool, but not an option. I'm thinking Lyon, which is on the list and fits her major. She likes France. Umbra Institute in Perugia Italy is as well. And ugh...Sydney. Sadly her only non English language is mediocre Spanish.
Umbria would be great too.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Just tell her Sydney is simply a warmer Toronto with a beach. It's boring except for the myriad number of bugs and critters that can kill you :D

I know you're not as big on food as I am, but damn, Lyon and Perugia are great places to get fat.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
This sounds like it'll be a fun week for Euro travelers (from tonight's Bloomberg feed)

Deutsche Lufthansa will cancel almost all flights from its main German hubs in Frankfurt and Munich Wednesday because of a strike by ground crew, exacerbating the chaos that’s snarled Europe’s crucial summer travel season. Waiting lines snaking out of terminals, mountains of stranded luggage and hastily canceled flights have become the scourge of European aviation this summer. In a further disruption for travelers, much of the UK’s train network is set to be shut down on Wednesday by a railway worker strike.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
This has gotten so good I’m taking to reading it to my wife who has never understood the BY. I do hope you are feeling ok though with the vid. It’s like binge watching Yellowstone!!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

View attachment 77769
ya know, on further review, this looks kinda like the old arcade building interior, in Bridgeport, or maybe like the inside of the milford mall. im starting to have my doubts on the legitimacy of this whole megillah. i mean, there are clues all throughout this so called 'travel blog.' yep, lots of ways to read the narrative with a cynical, sceptical, and disbelieving set of eyes, especially the pix. the one from east lyme started the wheels rolling... im callin shenanigans, and fully expecting wheezing and sneezing dubster to try to put the arm on us for cash. those tales of repeatedly getting hosed are there to play on our sympathy.
yup, feels an awful lot like that moon landing studio movie.
and as to what show this rolling hoax seems like, it's definitely Jersey Shore, season 26, 'snookie learns to drink and drive.' or mebbe that apollo movie. one of those.

Reaction Score

My son studied abroad in Australia for a semester at Macquarie University in Sydney - wasn't sure he was coming back - loved it down under. My friend's daughter got stuck there for an extra 9 months due to Covid and goes back this December to 'visit'

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Good Lord. I had a fairly "big" wedding, not anything like that obscenity. But we did everything we could for the guests. It was built around them, not us. Our wedding planner was awesome. If you have that kind of money to spend, it takes a particular level of self-absorption to not take proper care of your guests. The rehearsal dinner is supposed to provide genuine food for people who are busy trying to make your wedding go well.

"Rehearsal dinners" don't involve a rehearsal for anyone not in the wedding party but they sure as sh/t require dinner.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
"Rehearsal dinners" don't involve a rehearsal for anyone not in the wedding party but they sure as sh/t require dinner.
Inviting everyone might be a thing these days. Although not some ridiculous overseas foray like ADub's, my brother got burned on my godson's rehearsal dinner. The bride & groom wanted everyone there who could make it, so there were about 70 folks for dinner at a decent place in Brookfield where my brother knew one of the owners. He wasn't thrilled about it, but was willing to take the financial hit.

What he didn't know until actually arriving at the restaurant was that the couple had requested a special cocktail menu for the evening - 10 different themed cocktails at $14 a pop. My brother was figuring mostly beer/wine/well drinks and had to raise the bar tab by a grand three times during the evening.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i called (@ 2:12) dubstep to tell him that we found his luggage. he didn't seem very happy.

Reaction Score
Nothing quite like a rehearsal dinner that is neither a rehearsal or provides dinner…sounds like all the guests did leave with a bag of “junk” that they’ll then have to stuff into their already full suitcases or just use/toss before they leave. Weddings are such a waste of $$ and I’ve found the more over the top and ridiculous the wedding is the less likely the marriage is to last. It’s great that people can have their “dream weddings” but it sounds to me like if this bride had to foot the bill herself she may have ended up at a Vegas wedding chapel.

Reaction Score
it sounds to me like if this bride had to foot the bill herself she may have ended up at a Vegas wedding chapel.

Exactly what I did. And worth every penny I didn't spend. Currently on a 5 week vacation paid for by the wedding gifts from family we didn't even ask for.

I know people who have dropped 10k+ on a BACK YARD wedding, let alone places with multiple venues. Some peoplecare ridiculous

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom