ADub weighs in on Chicken Sandwich wars | Page 8 | The Boneyard

ADub weighs in on Chicken Sandwich wars

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There’s got to be a marketing campaign theme there.

I believe that is as good a review as a fast food chicken sandwich can expect. Anyone who raves about any fast food menu item is a lunatic - it is all objectively bad. You should trust August’s food reviews right after you trust that rat that dragged a slice of pizza up the subway stairs - both have the same sensibility. (None.)

But in that context, this sandwich was good. I don’t ever want to have another one, but if someone ever asks me about the Popeye’s chicken sandwich, I will honestly be able to tell them that it did not suck.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I believe that is as good a review as a fast food chicken sandwich can expect. Anyone who raves about any fast food menu item is a lunatic - it is all objectively bad. You should trust August’s food reviews right after you trust that rat that dragged a slice of pizza up the subway stairs - both have the same sensibility. (None.)

But in that context, this sandwich was good. I don’t ever want to have another one, but if someone ever asks me about the Popeye’s chicken sandwich, I will honestly be able to tell them that it did not suck.
In all honesty, I feel exactly the same about the Popeye’s sandwich. I ate one once early on out of curiosity (and for the sake of science) and was pleasantly surprised, but I don’t need to have another one ever again.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
There was a 1-day delay in me getting to BK and at noon I rolled up excited to try this daunting Ch'King sammich.

Got my order and off I drove to find a serene spot to eat. Not easy along Rt 80 in East Haven. Ended up at the High School.

First, BK fries suck pig weenies. The chocolate shake was tasty.

When I pulled the sammich bag out of the bag it was clear there was some heft to it. I saw on the sammich bag that there were other Ch'King choices and knew I was going to regret not knowing there was a spicy version. That will have to be Friday's lunch.

The Ch'King is held together by one helluva of a bun. It's a fast food brioche, I tell ya. Crusty and firm. Not in any way like a steamed up limp dough wad we see holding a McChicken together. The star of the sammich was a moist piece of bird meat excellently coated by a golden-crunchy batter that was spiced just so. And what a crunch. The chicken was juicy and tender. Atop the bird were some still-cold pickle slices at about 1/4 thick. A thin tomato would have been cool but maybe that was on the Deluxe? As for the sauce...could have used more, I think.

Aside from the Spicy Ch'King I am not sure that I will find a better chicken sammich from a fast food joint.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
In all honesty, I feel exactly the same about the Popeye’s sandwich. I ate one once early on out of curiosity (and for the sake of science) and was pleasantly surprised, but I don’t need to have another one ever again.

And that is basically as good as it gets.

It’s something you might have again if you’re driving 500 miles and it’s 9pm and you need something right off the highway.

That is what fast food is for. Anyone who has the time to have something else and still has McDonald’s or Popeyes or Arby’s is suspect.

When I become king, I will raise the quality of the human breed in one bold step….I will put a Subways and a German deli next to each other in every municipality in the country. Anyone who goes into the Subway will be trapped and sterilized.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
There was a 1-day delay in me getting to BK and at noon I rolled up excited to try this daunting Ch'King sammich.

Got my order and off I drove to find a serene spot to eat. Not easy along Rt 80 in East Haven. Ended up at the High School.

First, BK fries suck pig weenies. The chocolate shake was tasty.

When I pulled the sammich bag out of the bag it was clear there was some heft to it. I saw on the sammich bag that there were other Ch'King choices and knew I was going to regret not knowing there was a spicy version. That will have to be Friday's lunch.

The Ch'King is held together by one helluva of a bun. It's a fast food brioche, I tell ya. Crusty and firm. Not in any way like a steamed up limp dough wad we see holding a McChicken together. The star of the sammich was a moist piece of bird meat excellently coated by a golden-crunchy batter that was spiced just so. And what a crunch. The chicken was juicy and tender. Atop the bird were some still-cold pickle slices at about 1/4 thick. A thin tomato would have been cool but maybe that was on the Deluxe? As for the sauce...could have used more, I think.

Aside from the Spicy Ch'King I am not sure that I will find a better chicken sammich from a fast food joint.
bun? 'crusty and firm.'
the bird? 'golden-crunchy batter that was spiced just so.'
'and what a crunch.'

impressive craig claiborne chops right thar as
the ghost of antinny bourdain speaks.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This is where my chicken sandwich adventure will likely end - I don’t feel like I can eat another one of these things.

But I went to Popeyes tonight.

I am again ignoring the construction of the sandwich. It was every bit the disaster that McDonald’s was and then some. I think any place where the sandwich has to be slipped into a bag is going to be a wreck, but they got so much sauce on this that it was actually a hazard while I was driving.

This sandwich is on a different planet than McDonald’s. If anyone thinks the McD’s sandwich is better, get that person out of your life. The McD’s sandwich is exists because they need a spicy chicken sandwich on the menu. In this case, I think Popeyes exists to bring you this sandwich.

It’s good. It’s not sit-down-restaurant good, but it’s good. The level of quality is clearly way up from McD’s - the pickles are large slices in comparison to the pickle flake that McD’s uses. The sauce is spicy, but tastes good and the chicken breast is a proper chicken breast. The bun is obviously fast food, but it’s fine.

My biggest issue with this sandwich is philosophical….when do you eat this thing? It’s massive. It’s way too big for lunch and why would you eat it for dinner? It is a meal without a home.

Anyway….

My rating - 6/10. On a scale where 0 is inedible and 10/10 is a made to order marvel at some indy chicken place, this is a six. It’s fast food and encumbered by all that comes with being made in mass, but it’s good. I will never have another one, but I will remember this one semi-fondly.

It's a sit down lunch sandwich. And then you skip dinner.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
In other chicken sandwich news, Reviewbrah takes Buffalo Wild Wings to the woodshed.

3CAC1929-6017-45BD-A08D-2210FE3C3B31.jpeg

Reaction Score
I don't go to all those places so it's hard to compare for me.

Chick FIL a is a bit different to me because of the quality of their chicken and the lack of greasiness. I tried Popeyes twice and it tasted like the grease it was fried in. Just not a fan. Zaxby's is just always underwhelming to me as well.

If you are going to consider McDonald's you guys toss Bojangles in there too. Not quiet at the elite level but they come either flavor and their straight up chicken is pretty damn good.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

So in a thread that is all about context (fast food sandwiches rated against each other, even declined to add bird code and Haven hot on the same scale) you gave a high rating to a Sandwich I rated highly in the same context, but then go on to say that of rat dragging pizza has the same sensibility that you just demonstrated.

Makes sense.

giphy.gif

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So in a thread that is all about context (fast food sandwiches rated against each other, even declined to add bird code and Haven hot on the same scale) you gave a high rating to a Sandwich I rated highly in the same context, but then go on to say that of rat dragging pizza has the same sensibility that you just demonstrated.

Makes sense.

giphy.gif

You like Arby’s.

You are that rat.

You should not be defensive about it. The fast food industry employs a ton of people and without folks like you who are willing to chance it on ‘grade D but edible’ meats, those people would be on the bread line. You’re kind of a hero.

August_West

Reaction Score
You like Arby’s.

You say that like it is an insult.
What did Arby's do that was so offensive to the dining public? I'll tell you what they did. Arby's got women the right Eat Brisket. Arby's got Game meat fans the right to quick service Venison sandwiches. Arby's created the limited edition Pork Belly and lifted millions of people out of hunger. Arby's ended segregation. Arby's passed the Market Fresh Sandwich Rights Act, the "Happy Hour" 1 dollar Sliders Act. Arby's created Slow Roasted Beef. Arby's passed rights to choose what kind of Fry you would like (Crinkle or Curly?) act, the 2 for 6 dollar Gyro act. What did Fishy do? He opposed them on every one of those things every one. So when you try to hurl that label at my feet, 'you like Arby's,' as if it were something to be ashamed of, something dirty, something to run away from, it won't work, Fishy, because I will pick up that label and I will wear it as a badge of honor.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
This being the boneyard, I amazed that two serious chicken sandwich questions remain unanswered:
Which sandwiches would be your starting five and how tall are they?

Reaction Score
This being the boneyard, I amazed that two serious chicken sandwich questions remain unanswered:
Which sandwiches would be your starting five and how tall are they?
And how many points will they each score.

Reaction Score
In my own non scientific study zaxbys chicken sammich rules. Chic fil a is second. All others suck, but I haven’t tried KFC

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Somewhat of a tangent, but Royal Farms gas stations in Maryland sell ridiculously good fast food fried chicken.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Somewhat of a tangent, but Royal Farms gas stations in Maryland sell ridiculously good fast food fried chicken.
Maybe it's a thing. We have a place called Quik-It-Chicken that's part of a Valero gas station and beloved by folks in western end of Pittsburgh.

August_West

Reaction Score
Niles Griffey sent me his pick. Any guesses?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
6-DFF9-E5-A-CF58-4813-B72-F-A2684-C263-E0-A.jpg

From a German(!) restaurant in Poughkeepsie, NY,

It was ridiculously good. If McD’s is 2/10, this is like a 28 out of 10.
Ok! BIG difference. Forget the chains when your near Poughkeepsie, NY. Is it Shatzi's Pub and Biergarden?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom