Admit it, Hurley coached well | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Admit it, Hurley coached well

Reaction Score
Of all the coaches to get your first MM win with your current team, Pitino is a nice one and Hurley and co. got high praise post-game (and I think RP was being pretty sincere in that praise too). Hurley beat a very good coach. I'm not sure he wins this two years ago and, if he wins last year it would be a struggle. Just speculation of course.

Regardless, he and the team won this one going away.
Plus now he’s 1-0 vs Pitino so no monkey on his back when Pitino goes to St Johns :)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And Donovan’s over his “slump”.
He dunked a lot more. It’s a solution to missing layups. I’m not sure he’s fixed his touch around the rim yet, but I’ll take the dunks. Draws more fouls that way too.

Hurley deserves high marks because they were well prepared for the press and diced it up. Using Sanogo as an outlet was something Iona had no answer for. He also sat Hawkins and Sanogo for a long stretch in the first when they weren’t dominating as they should. Iona just made a lot of shots, but our defensive intensity and effort on the boards was higher in the second half. Movement off the ball was better too. When our guys get stationary, we have problems.

Reaction Score
He’s not a genius when we win, and he’s not a moron when we lose. We were prepared for the press, and the offense got good looks all game.

The trolling in the first half was amusing — as if the deficit was due to anything other than a couple of defensive breakdowns and Iona shooting an unsustainable %. It’s even more amusing that it has continued even after the game. They’re nothing if not persistent.

Reaction Score
Was there a press conference. Would have liked to hear more from Pitino than his one quote.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
25 point win. Probably most dominant win in the tournament so far and we have UConn fans posting negative Hurley topics. This thread is mind boggling - as if you were hoping he wouldn’t coach well. We have some of the stupidest fans who post on here. I’m starting to think you idiots root against UConn. Yea he coached well. He knows how to coach. He’s turned every program around. They’re 26-8. You don’t have that record by not coaching well. You know who didn’t coach well? The previous guy who lost to Stony Brook and Yale and Tulane. My god some of you are just absolute fools.
Imagine if we were spoiled and arrogant what we'd be like.

Unfortunately this is the way!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The trolling in the first half was amusing — as if the deficit was due to anything other than a couple of defensive breakdowns and Iona shooting an unsustainable %.
I thought it was more our two best guys playing with their heads up their respective tookus'. Iona's first 8 points came from Hawkins not bothering to guard his man. Sanogo came back in the game after Clingan's shift and the Gaels went on a run that didn't end until Hurley took out the starters and replaced them with three back-up guards. DH works on these players during halftime and they come out on fire. That's good coaching to me.

Reaction Score
40 pts, 22 rebounds, and 3 blocks from the 5 spot. That’s great coaching. ;^)
BINGO. can any team match in the rest of the tournament? Can’t think of any. Maybe, MAYBE Duke with Filipowski/Young/Lively at the 5? Doubtful…

If our #5 averages 25-27 pts and 13-15 rebounds We will be hard to beat IMHO.
it may be the key factor. Enjoy the moment folks. Drink it all in

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
For all the "Hurley is a poor game-time coach," and I myself have had my doubts, but I thought he coached well today.

• Called timeouts in the first half to keep Iona from going on any extended runs
  • Fouled late in the 1st half to keep Iona from getting an open look at 3 (ish)
  • Played a defensive-oriented team to keep their guards in check when offense wasn't producing
  • Ran a great set play for Hawkins that led to the 4-point play which changed the entire game
  • Whatever he said at halftime, it certainly worked

He's not Calhoun yet, but I thought he coached well today and deserved to win.
All these things, especially the last two, are basic expectations of any coach.
He set one play to get Hawk free- that should have been happening all season. He should also have set plays for AS to help him from having to battle for every shot down low.
UConn has a tendency to come out uninspired most games to start the second half especially when ahead. What does he say all these other games? Yes they came out loaded for bears yesterday. Congrats and let’s hope it continues.
I am afraid that a lot of you have set a very low bar for this staff.
DH is not going anywhere and I am by no means calling for a change. My opinion is let’s keep what we know vs the unknown.
DH and UConn won a game that they should have won rather easily from the start. To me, as I have said before, unless UConn plays the second weekend, that is an immense disappointment and folks should be looking closely at DH.
Folks at Purdue are throwing darts at MP because he has lost 3 years in a row to lower seeded opponents at the NCAAs. Look at MP’s recent conference record and conference tournament record - UConn fans would love to experience that level.
Let’s gauge the coach based on their experience and where they should be at this point in their career. DH is a very good recruiter and it doesn’t hurt to have the Hurley name and the NBE. IMO, based on his experience, he should be a much stronger game coach. I think he has learned some valuable lessons concerning his sideline mannerisms and I think that has helped him shift his concentration to more important events during the game.
Tomorrow’s game is huge for the program and DH going forward. I hope for a solid victory and play next weekend. There’s been some eye opening upsets and maybe the road will be easier going forward.

Reaction Score
Against Iona. Relax. Yeah i know it was against the fossil formally known as Rick Pitino but the talent level disparity is not a fair fight. Even when the game was tight im sure im not hte only one that knew we were going to throttle them in the 2nd half. How about we hold off on the lollipopping until we see what he can do if he gets in against Bill Self, Mark Few or Mick Cronin and the game comes down to the final 5 minutes.
Iona played quite well first half… It wasn‘t just about us not playing well.
You have to be able to absorb other teams best shot in the tourney and that’s what we did last night, while keeping the score close.

Iona didn’t look like a 13 seed to me.

We just played UConn basketball when we are “on” there are few teams that can hang with us. And yes, kudos Dan, he deserves some praise.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
All these things, especially the last two, are basic expectations of any coach.
He set one play to get Hawk free- that should have been happening all season. He should also have set plays for AS to help him from having to battle for every shot down low.
UConn has a tendency to come out uninspired most games to start the second half especially when ahead. What does he say all these other games? Yes they came out loaded for bears yesterday. Congrats and let’s hope it continues.
I am afraid that a lot of you have set a very low bar for this staff.
DH is not going anywhere and I am by no means calling for a change. My opinion is let’s keep what we know vs the unknown.
DH and UConn won a game that they should have won rather easily from the start. To me, as I have said before, unless UConn plays the second weekend, that is an immense disappointment and folks should be looking closely at DH.
Folks at Purdue are throwing darts at MP because he has lost 3 years in a row to lower seeded opponents at the NCAAs. Look at MP’s recent conference record and conference tournament record - UConn fans would love to experience that level.
Let’s gauge the coach based on their experience and where they should be at this point in their career. DH is a very good recruiter and it doesn’t hurt to have the Hurley name and the NBE. IMO, based on his experience, he should be a much stronger game coach. I think he has learned some valuable lessons concerning his sideline mannerisms and I think that has helped him shift his concentration to more important events during the game.
Tomorrow’s game is huge for the program and DH going forward. I hope for a solid victory and play next weekend. There’s been some eye opening upsets and maybe the road will be easier going forward.
really too bad they toook away the dislike button

Reaction Score
Danny is a great recruiter, in fact with talent coming in, we will have cupboard stocked better than in a longggg time

guys seem to like playing for him

my biggest grievance has been his inability to utilize Clingan better.....couldve/shouldve figured out way to use both bigs for at least 5-10 minutes a game during the year.......if he sits on bench for 30 minutes in a game, and we lose, than I put that squarely on Danny.....Im confident this post will age well, as Clingan isnt far from Zach Edy right now IMO, and we will see that when he consistently gets 20 + minutes (posting on block instead of setting screens at 3 pt circle preferably)

happy to have Danny over Ollie thats for sure...not a great x and o coach, but shines in other areas

Reaction Score
Actually for some reason Pitino decided to test us and go toe to toe
Not the way I would have played a more physical deeper team . I believe I posted is was the recipe for a 20 pt loss. I’m no seer but that’s a very predictable result
Apparently that’s their game so they danced with he brought him but it had little chance of success
It does make for fun game but Iona playing up tempo was always going to end badly for them. As well as they shot they only had a narrow lead at the half . I’m sure Rick knew they were beaten at the half barring a miracle .
St Mary’s on the other hand likes to play slow , if Hurley can get us to dictate pace we will win easily.
and that will be excellent coaching . If they dictate pace snd it’s a rock fight then Hurley got out coached even if we pull it out.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
my biggest grievance has been his inability to utilize Clingan better.....couldve/shouldve figured out way to use both bigs for at least 5-10 minutes a game during the year.......if he sits on bench for 30 minutes in a game, and we lose, than I put that squarely on Danny.....Im confident this post will age well, as Clingan isnt far from Zach Edy right now IMO, and we will see that when he consistently gets 20 + minutes (posting on block instead of setting screens at 3 pt circle preferably)

Every single DC suggestion there makes him a worse player. Every one. 100% of them. Its amazing.

Reaction Score
Every single DC suggestion there makes him a worse player. Every one. 100% of them. Its amazing.
wtf are you talking about? explain how putting Clingan on the block, posting up, makes him a worse player? i coached high school basketball for 20 years, and you can draw a 100 sets to utilize him better than the 5 man out/2-3 princeton set hes usually in for, with the center entry to him at 3 pt line...or using him with sanogo for 5 minutes a game in a matchup zone? that cant possibly work lol... im actually curious how you can even say this? clueless

Reaction Score
He’s not a genius when we win, and he’s not a moron when we lose. We were prepared for the press, and the offense got good looks all game.

The trolling in the first half was amusing — as if the deficit was due to anything other than a couple of defensive breakdowns and Iona shooting an unsustainable %. It’s even more amusing that it has continued even after the game. They’re nothing if not persistent.
“In Hurley we trust” !

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
wtf are you talking about? explain how putting Clingan on the block, posting up, makes him a worse player? i coached high school basketball for 20 years, and you can draw a 100 sets to utilize him better than the 5 man out/2-3 princeton set hes usually in for, with the center entry to him at 3 pt line...or using him with sanogo for 5 minutes a game in a matchup zone? that cant possibly work lol... im actually curious how you can even say this? clueless

So you wanna change the entire offense for one guy for the 10 minutes he’s in? UConn, in the current setup, running what they do, has the fourth-best offense in the entire country!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom