Admit it, Hurley coached well | The Boneyard

Admit it, Hurley coached well

Reaction Score
For all the "Hurley is a poor game-time coach," and I myself have had my doubts, but I thought he coached well today.

• Called timeouts in the first half to keep Iona from going on any extended runs
  • Fouled late in the 1st half to keep Iona from getting an open look at 3 (ish)
  • Played a defensive-oriented team to keep their guards in check when offense wasn't producing
  • Ran a great set play for Hawkins that led to the 4-point play which changed the entire game
  • Whatever he said at halftime, it certainly worked

He's not Calhoun yet, but I thought he coached well today and deserved to win.

Reaction Score
Second half was as fine a coaching performance as you'll see. Outcoaching Pitino is something Calhoun couldn't even do at times.

The first half was middling.

Not sure why you think he called TOs in the first half. He didn't. He used exactly one at the 2:02 mark. The other TOs were TV timeouts.

Reaction Score
Of all the coaches to get your first MM win with your current team, Pitino is a nice one and Hurley and co. got high praise post-game (and I think RP was being pretty sincere in that praise too). Hurley beat a very good coach. I'm not sure he wins this two years ago and, if he wins last year it would be a struggle. Just speculation of course.

Regardless, he and the team won this one going away.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
First half coaching was pretty good too. We were ready for the press and their pressure. We killed it instantly and they backed off it right away. We were getting shots we wanted. not fouling, good ball movement, and generally not giving them open shots. That's why the ShotQuality had us up like 15 at halftime.

They just made a bunch of shots. Unlike Teddy Allen last year, they didn't sustain it and we played even better in the 2nd.

And as mentioned bringing back Clingan early was key.

Reaction Score
First half coaching was pretty good too. We were ready for the press and their pressure. We killed it instantly and they backed off it right away. We were getting shots we wanted. not fouling, good ball movement, and generally not giving them open shots. That's why the ShotQuality had us up like 15 at halftime.

They just made a bunch of shots. Unlike Teddy Allen last year, they didn't sustain it and we played even better in the 2nd.

Our help defense was donkey balls, Hawkins and Sanogo were walking in wet sand, and Alleyne needed to be in the game 5 minutes more than he was. I can't call that pretty good. It was fine, just nothing to write home about.

Reaction Score
Our help defense was donkey balls, Hawkins and Sanogo were walking in wet sand, and Alleyne needed to be in the game 5 minutes more than he was. I can't call that pretty good. It was fine, just nothing to write home about.
And Jackson needs to be glued to the bench when he's hoisting. I imagine he read Jackson the riot act at halftime. It simply can't happen again.

One of the things that makes Hurley so good also hurts him badly at times. He's a players coach but he hasn't exactly held the guys accountable for going off script and not doing the right things. He seems to be getting better at balancing the whole being their friends while also being the ultimate authority.

Reaction Score
He coached well.
He left Clingan out there for a few extended periods. DC was impressive and it kept Sanogo fresh to wreak havoc.

It appears from most of the games that I've seen, the refs are going to let the men play. If foul trouble isn't an issue, this could give Sanogo and Clingan a big advantage in games to come. They can run, be physical and wear other guys down.

Reaction Score
Late in the game, he started making that gimmie a technical face after a bad call. I was a little worried, even though we were up by double digits.

Yeah, he rotated the bench very well. Congrats to him with his first W in the tourney. Got the monkey off his back. No more pressure. Lol

Reaction Score
I guess agree to disagree on "pretty good". Think plenty of that is on the players. Holding to a high standard considering how good the prep seemed to be regarding the press and how we came out like gang busters on offense. The help D breakdowns were like "their 5th best guy drove by Hawkins and the rest of the D was focused on the good players".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think he got their heads right from a pressure standpoint. Even though the first half was close we ran good offense. But Hurley has a lot of ammo on that bench, id something doesn’t work bring in another guy or group. It’s a depth thing. Iona was worn down 2nd half.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Benched sanogo and Hawkins very quickly in the first half when they blew a small lead that the second team built. Clingan held down the fort then sanago and Hawkins came out guns blazing in the second half.
Great point the group I was with noticed the same thing. Those moves helped us keep it close in the first half. And whatever happened in the locker room at halftime worked. They came out like a JC team. Hawkins 4 point play to start the half. Amazing…..

Reaction Score

Exactly. The defense was never bad. Not amazing. But it was fine even in the first half.

Our bad luck with other teams shooting 3’s in our eye and making them every time had to turn around eventually

Reaction Score
If people blame Hurley, fine. But give him his credit when he does well and he did well today. UConn carved up that press so well Pitino was hesitant to use it. That is why I wanted VCU. I was not afraid of VCU because UConn would be in rhythm in breaking pressure because they did it against Iona.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
And Jackson needs to be glued to the bench when he's hoisting. I imagine he read Jackson the riot act at halftime. It simply can't happen again.

One of the things that makes Hurley so good also hurts him badly at times. He's a players coach but he hasn't exactly held the guys accountable for going off script and not doing the right things. He seems to be getting better at balancing the whole being their friends while also being the ultimate authority.
I really don’t get this post and the attack on AJ. Just don’t get the venom….he had 7 assists and 2 turn over. My math may not be great but a 3.5 to 1 assist ratio and is pretty good. And he pretty much shut down their best player in the second half. Wonder what this kid needs to do to get the respect he deserves. He may be the fastest player dribbling the basketball that we have ever had. And just understand there is a difference between fat and quick with the ball. Tyus Edney was both but AJ is as fast as Westbrook was in college while dribbling the ball.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Second half was as fine a coaching performance as you'll see. Outcoaching Pitino is something Calhoun couldn't even do at times.

The first half was middling.

Not sure why you think he called TOs in the first half. He didn't. He used exactly one at the 2:02 mark. The other TOs were TV timeouts.
First half described as middling. It might have been the best pure half of basketball played by both teams in the first half of the tournament this year. At least offensively. But give Iona there due. They played well in the first half.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
  • Prepared for the inbounds routine to break their press with ease, and punished them with easy points
  • Made halftime adjustments
  • Ran good sets to get Hawk going
  • Good substitutions with our bench, specifically Clingan getting more run. Our depth wore them out
  • He had the guys prepared (despite being down at half, Iona shot out of their minds)
  • Once Hurley/staff realized Iona couldn't stop Sanogo getting position down low, they kept running sets for him and going to him.
Great job by Hurley and staff.

caw

Reaction Score
But I have to know, did he drink from his infamous bottle?

• Prepared for the inbounds routine to break their press with ease, and punished them with easy points
  • Made halftime adjustments
  • Ran good sets to get Hawk going
  • Good substitutions with our bench, specifically Clingan getting more run. Our depth wore them out
  • He had the guys prepared (despite being down at half, Iona shot out of their minds)
  • Once Hurley/staff realized Iona couldn't stop Sanogo getting position down low, they kept running sets for him and going to him.
Great job by Hurley and staff.

Some of those plays were stellar in design and execution to attack the press

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
160920143043-wisdom-project-bill-murray.jpg

Hurley coached like a man possesed

Reaction Score

40 pts, 22 rebounds, and 3 blocks from the 5 spot. That’s great coaching. ;^)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom