Adjusted D Down to #41 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Adjusted D Down to #41

Reaction Score
It's a sickness, I think, if you can only enjoy things for the end result. There is joy to process and struggle, and joy in watching teams grow but not win a title. Not winning a title isn't a failure except for rare teams (1991 UNLV, 1999 Duke, 2015 Kentucky), and I think this simplistic way of looking at the world... well, that's a conversation that extends well beyond basketball and not worth having here. The more meaningful joys tend to be in process rather than end result, that's enough.
It was just sarcasm about us only winning by luck.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Every single poster wants another NC.
I'll concede it's a percentage well above 90% and not in dispute within this thread.
But having a discussion about specifics of how we get there is the purpose of a message board.
It is not "the purpose of a message board," although it regularly confirms itself as an appealing possible function among many here.

My expectation and observation is that defense has needed rethinking and retooling in response to the unexpected loss of Clingan. How could it be otherwise?

Leaving aside DePaul, we've defeated 3 of the league's most experienced and successful long-career coaches who have done their best to exploit the current reduced capabilities, and come up short. Concurrently, we're witnessing a shift to small ball, and an expansion of the roster possibilities.

I'm here to share the season's journey from many angles. In spite of my better instincts, I even find myself interested in whether @Dove will use his demonstrated capacity for daring & poor taste to offer a hat tip.

Reaction Score
1000011710.jpg
1000011709.jpg

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
It's a sickness, I think, if you can only enjoy things for the end result. There is joy to process and struggle, and joy in watching teams grow but not win a title. Not winning a title isn't a failure except for rare teams (1991 UNLV, 1999 Duke, 2015 Kentucky), and I think this simplistic way of looking at the world... well, that's a conversation that extends well beyond basketball and not worth having here. The more meaningful joys tend to be in process rather than end result, that's enough.
I thought we all learned that after our first girlfriend. The thrill of the chase was way more fun than the usual end result with a first girlfriend.

Reaction Score
Sometimes things aren't that complex

2022 ---> 2023 Roster is almost across the board worse based on individual personnel. And last year we have lots of superlatives (Sanogo, Strongest/toughest/beastiest) (Clingan - Tallest/Most Dominant) (Jackson - Most athletic/competitive) This year we just have some regular guys and it shows.

The biggest roster miss remains using 2 scholarships on Jayden Ross AND Jaylin Stewart. It feels like they are a bit duplicative in the same recruiting year when you already are loaded at big guard/wing It just feels like we have too many wings and we're missing a backup quality 6'9, 230 lbs bruiser who rebounds and can bang down low.

Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 5.17.34 PM.png

Reaction Score

2022 ---> 2023 Roster is almost across the board worse based on individual personnel. And last year we have lots of superlatives (Sanogo, Strongest/toughest/beastiest) (Clingan - Tallest/Most Dominant) (Jackson - Most athletic/competitive) This year we just have some regular guys and it shows.

The biggest roster miss remains using 2 scholarships on Jayden Ross AND Jaylin Stewart. It feels like they are a bit duplicative in the same recruiting year when you already are loaded at big guard/wing It just feels like we have too many wings and we're missing a backup quality 6'9, 230 lbs bruiser who rebounds and can bang down low.

View attachment 95094
Not sure which quality 6’9 230 lb bruisers Hurley was going to convince to split backup minutes with Samson behind Clingan. Or in this scenario does Hurley run Samson out of town for said bruiser?

Reaction Score

View attachment 95094
Have to nitpick here. ‘23 Karaban, Diarra, Newton, and Johnson are better this year vs last year. And Joey C much better than Ross.

We have the same number of bigs as last year. Sanogo + DC + Johnson vs DC+ Johnson + Singare. If sanogo ever went down w an injury, we’d be having similar conversations.

Reaction Score

View attachment 95094
2 things:
#1. That chart is insane. Diarra, Karaban, Newton, Samson are all improvements over their '23 version. Some by a huge amount. Definitely not neutral. Clingan has to be an incomplete right now.

#2. Who (specifically) is the transfer that is both 6'9" 230, and willing to take backup minutes behind DC (and possibly a split with SJ unless there's an injury).
Here's the 2023 portal

Reaction Score
Yes, UConn played some really tough non-conference teams, but there were 5 to 6 teams in there that some would label cupcakes. There was bound to be some drop.
Plus, playing in the Big East is another animal and some of the freshman need to make the adjustment. Castle is rounding into form and Ball is learning that Big East refs reward guys for driving into your chest and straight up defense doesn't really matter to them.
The effect of Clingan's absence is bigger than most people think. Clingan as a freshman was an excellent defender who wasn't really foul proned. I remember in different games, Walton, Bilas and others were amazed at how well he used his body and size without fouling. A guy like that can negate guards being beaten on the perimeter. It may even be part of the game plan... funnel the other team's offense toward the big guy.
Finally, it is a long season and teams hit lulls. Remember where this team was roughly 11 months ago. I'm sure Hurley just wants to see improvement with the team and hope they peak and fire on all cylinders in March. I look at Joey C. last year. He looked like a matador out there the 1st half season and while he wasn't ever going to make an all defense team, he was considerably better before the end of the season. Spencer seems to be improving. The frosh will, too. Hurley just needs to Clingan healthy and Clingan needs to be smart enough to be honest with staff and only worry about where the team is ranked at the end of March.

Reaction Score

View attachment 95094

Hassan and Alex are not "neutral"-- they are both much better.

Spencer is not a minus. Neutral. Different, but neutral. Much better passer and ballhandler, less talented defender.

Castle is not worse. Neutral, maybe a positive though Andre's intangibles are just hard to quantify.

This list is horrible.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Right now, SJU at 34 NET is our second best win. Texas is next at 44, but that feels kind of like a high water mark for the Longhorns. UConn played 5 teams worse than 300. I know KenPom claims to normalize the offense and defense ratings, but the soft schedule has to be hurting us.

I get that a schedule of Kansas, Gonzaga, Texas, Indiana and UNC sounds tough, but we caught several of those teams on down years, and the cupcakes were really bad.

Reaction Score
Right now, SJU at 34 NET is our second best win. Texas is next at 44, but that feels kind of like a high water mark for the Longhorns. UConn played 5 teams worse than 300. I know KenPom claims to normalize the offense and defense ratings, but the soft schedule has to be hurting us.

I get that a schedule of Kansas, Gonzaga, Texas, Indiana and UNC sounds tough, but we caught several of those teams on down years, and the cupcakes were really bad.
Oh the soft schedule is killing us. Sure, we’re a consensus #1 seed in the tournament right now, but the last one. It’s like we’re almost a 2 seed.

Also, what does any of this have to do with our defense?

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score

View attachment 95094
This spreadsheet is amazing. You are a true comedic genius.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
We’re getting cooked on dribble drives and surrendering too many put backs on offensive boards. Both problems are solved when Donovan is back

Reaction Score
The Spencer vs Hawkins comp is interesting. Spencer a lot more mobile and creative but Hawkins much better D.

The one thing I definitely agree with is Diarra ‘22 is neutral vs Diarra ‘23. HOWEVER, Diarra ‘22 vs Jiarra ‘23 isn’t even close.

Reaction Score

View attachment 95094
This is not a serious post right? This is just comically horrible

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This spreadsheet is amazing. You are a true comedic genius.
I would have preferred a pie chart shaped like a Pepe's pizza and sliced with corresponding asymmetry.

A year ago, during the second week of January, the team was in the midst of giving up big second half points while losing to Xavier, Marquette, Providence, and soon St John's. The predominant mood was a combination of downtrodden, angry, pessimistic, and many posters were beside themselves. Confidence in the coaching staff was deeply shaken. Sanogo was injured. Things were a mess.

Now we can't decide whether the defense is lousy, the roster wasn't well-constructed (yet again), or we're being disrespected if we aren't ranked #1 next Monday. Even the out of conference schedule has received renewed criticism in this thread. Those other highly ranked teams only have to contend with having lost to unranked opponents.

Reaction Score

View attachment 95094
I disagree with some of your assement. Fist of all Johnson had no impact last year as he wasn't ready. This year's Johnson is better than last years. Also, AJ and Stephon are different defenders as pointed out before. Stephon is a monster on man to man while AJ was great on using his jumping ability to create blocks from behind and steals. I personally like how Stephon plays d as he is right into the offensive player and even now is starting to block shots on help defene. The biggest weakness is Spencer is not great D but he actually plays well at times and Sanogo is better than Samson Johnson. Samson is our backup center and not Youssuf so not sure why you are compring them. We miss Sanogo's toughness inside on both sides of the ball. Also, I think this year's Diarra is better than last years. Is is more disruptive than even last year on the ball. We have some good defenders on the outside but we lack that inside toughness once Clingan is gone. Johnson can block shots but he is a string bean who gets bullied inside right now.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Along these lines, it appears Mick Cronin is not long for this California life. Adem Bona might be nice to have in the middle, if he doesnt go in the draft.
Don't tell me. Is he a possibility for somewhere in the Big East? That would certainly bring some more passion to the Conference.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Sanogo/Jackson effect. Both were elite defenders. Sanogo in particular was a generational low post one on one defender.

Those back down baskets from Xaiver don't happen with AS playing.

The last three games opponents have been able to consistently turn the corner at the top of the key and enter the paint.
There does not seem to be the will or desire to take charges and perhaps that is a coaching decision to avoid injuries. The way some of our guys get hammered on offense without calls being made would make taking charges just another way to get flattened without reward.

After we won the championship last year some of our former stars were asked for a comment. LOL Ray Allen said "they didn't know what to do with Sanogo" No one could body up to him and push him around. "Stonewall Sanogo."

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Offensive sets seem to be a lot better this year even without DC. I am looking for a lot more improvement from Castle as he plays his way into familiarity with D1 BE ball. He has a ton of potential in many areas and has a dawg mentality for the ball. Just needs more polish and familiarity. Trusting the staff and the upper class leadership on the floor. Look at how Diarra is now shining. We have to be patient until the return of DC.

Reaction Score
There does not seem to be the will or desire to take charges and perhaps that is a coaching decision to avoid injuries. The way some of our guys get hammered on offense without calls being made would make taking charges just another way to get flattened without reward.

After we won the championship last year some of our former stars were asked for a comment. LOL Ray Allen said "they didn't know what to do with Sanogo" No one could body up to him and push him around. "Stonewall Sanogo."
The charge rule has changed this year making it harder for the defensive player to get that call

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Overall the team has shifted towards a more offensive dominant roster vs defensive last year. Hurley said he wanted to improve our firepower this year and he has. Our D is still good enough, and improving, for us to win.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom