Adjusted D Down to #41 | The Boneyard

Adjusted D Down to #41

Reaction Score
Since DH’s comments about the defense being a “wet noodle” after the DePaul game (see the January 3rd thread), we have dropped from #23 to #41 in adjusted D on Ken Pom. This would not be concerning if we had not already been dropping in December, down from top 10. I keep checking after games hoping the trend will reverse, and the ranking has slipped after every single game. I think this may be UConn’s lowest ranked D since 2020.

Obviously, our offense is elite, but how concerned are you about the trend on D? Is it just because of the Clingan and Castle injuries, or something more? Will it rear its ugly head in the tougher part of the BE schedule?

Reaction Score
Last year we were #7 in adjusted D. A progressive drop in our adjusted D ranking over this season does not necessarily mean the defense is getting worse game over game. It could just be approaching the "true" ranking that was hidden by last year's data as that data's influence gets removed.

To get a better picture it would help to look at one of these sites that lets you filter out the previous season and also look at distinct time frames within the season.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
This team definitely has trouble getting stops from time to time. On the other hand, with lineups where we have hass clingan and castle on the floor there’s no reason we shouldn’t be able to defend as well as last year when we need to.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
If DC comes back healthy and Stephon continues to improve, I think our defense will be good enough to get us where we want to be. Samson needs to realize that we need him on the floor. I know the staff is working with him but he has to stop reaching the second his man gets a half step on him. Love AK but he will continue to be a below average defender. But he rebounds well so it offsets. Samson although filling a roll is still not a very good rebounder.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see a defense that prevents drives to the basket when Clingan is out. Some sort of Packline Defense doss this. Its not something that can be implemented in the middle of the season. But looking at next season, with no Clingan, we should seriously look at it.. We will be lacking interior size, beef and shot blocking.

Reaction Score
Along these lines, it appears Mick Cronin is not long for this California life. Adem Bona might be nice to have in the middle, if he doesnt go in the draft.

Reaction Score
Since DH’s comments about the defense being a “wet noodle” after the DePaul game (see the January 3rd thread), we have dropped from #23 to #41 in adjusted D on Ken Pom. This would not be concerning if we had not already been dropping in December, down from top 10. I keep checking after games hoping the trend will reverse, and the ranking has slipped after every single game. I think this may be UConn’s lowest ranked D since 2020.

Obviously, our offense is elite, but how concerned are you about the trend on D? Is it just because of the Clingan and Castle injuries, or something more? Will it rear its ugly head in the tougher part of the BE schedule?
1. We are not as good a defensive team as last year. Jackson was a unicorn defender, and Hawkins was much better on D than Spencer is.

2. Having said that, missing DC obviously matters a lot. The difference in how we play D with him guarding the rim versus Samson Johnson is huge.

If DC were not to come back, given how great our offense is our D is enough to possibly eke out a Big East regular season title, but it would be very difficult to win 6 straight tourney games relying solely on offense. having said that, there is no reason to assume we’ll be playing the rest of the season without DC.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Sanogo/Jackson effect. Both were elite defenders. Sanogo in particular was a generational low post one on one defender.

Those back down baskets from Xaiver don't happen with AS playing.

The last three games opponents have been able to consistently turn the corner at the top of the key and enter the paint.

Reaction Score
I know the paint defense looks bad but by the numbers it’s our 3pt defense that’s about 5% point worse than last year. This is from Torvik I don’t have Kenpom access.

1705065020220.png

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Any team that loses a 7’3” rim protector who blocks 3 to 4 shots a game and alters/prevents many more is going to drop in the defensive metrics. Would I like to see better on-ball defense? Absolutely. Am I surprised we are dropping? Nope.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To paraphrase @Dove "Clingan is the answer." With him in the paint as an eraser we can be more aggressive on the perimeter. Plus, the number of shots that he alters, just by virtue of being a very large human will dramatically help our defensive numbers. That's before you take into account his blocks, and the fact that Johnson should be better defensively playing fewer minutes.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Need for Newton and Cam to tighten up their perimeter D not for Ken Pom reasons but for the good of the team.
Ken Pom doesn't make a team a winner - execution on the court does

Reaction Score
Donovan Clingan (or lack thereof) is the largest factor. He affects everything including opponents three point shooting. It's much easier to guard the three point line when you are not worried about a defender getting past you because there is a 7-3 inch eraser at the net.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Donovan Clingan (or lack thereof) is the largest factor. He affects everything including opponents three point shooting. It's much easier to guard the three point line when you are not worried about a defender getting past you because there is a 7-3 inch eraser at the net.

We're a top-25 defense with him. Probably top-50 without. Samson is doing as good as we could've asked, but we've designed our defense to have an anchor in the post and he's not that guy. We put a lot of pressure on our bigs defensively; it takes a sky high IQ to consistently stay out of foul trouble.

caw

Reaction Score

I am excited to see what a lineup including Clingan, Diarra and Castle can do defensively.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
To state the obvious which has probably already been stated. Our defense is a whole lot better with Clingan playing.

With him, we're national title contenders. Without him, we're longshots. The second weekend may be our ceiling

Reaction Score
I am excited to see what a lineup including Clingan, Diarra and Castle can do defensively.

Hoping we can add Solo to that by March too. He's got all the physical skills and is right on the cusp of being a good defender for us. I'm hoping he can be like AK last year and learn from the film room for a great 2nd half of the conference slate

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
One factor that a lot of people don't realize is that rebounding numbers are a part of defensive ratings. Clingan was a strong defensive rebounder and Samson is below average. That makes a big difference on our rating.

Reaction Score
One factor that a lot of people don't realize is that rebounding numbers are a part of defensive ratings. Clingan was a strong defensive rebounder and Samson is below average. That makes a big difference on our rating.
Samson was coming on, what happened? Is it lack of strength or just the way the ball bounces?

Reaction Score
Everyone is talking about Clingan, but last year's elite D only had him in there 1/3 of the time.

Our individual perimeter defense is not as good. Last year, everyone could lock down their guy and opponents could go an entire chunk between TV timeouts without a field goal (see SDSU). This year's team can't do that, but the question is "do we have to?"

The other question is, can our D improve throughout the year, and we have evidence from prior years to suggest that it can. Last year was unique in that our D was elite from November through April.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom