Adams and Carlton out | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Adams and Carlton out

Reaction Score
There was no reason--ever--for Adams to average the most minutes on the team after Bouk early in the season. It was loyalty to a fault from our coach. Coaching at UConn is different than URI. Our freshman have the potential to be unbelievably talented. Sanogo fits that bill. Jackson potentially, and I'd guess Hawkins too.

With Bouk and Jackson out, I would have understood 10-15 minutes out of necessity. 30 minutes, including crunch time, was unacceptable. Adams is a great kid, hard worker, and has some talent... but he isn't good enough to play NBE starter minutes. Anyone watching these games saw he could succeed as a 5-15 minutes bennch guy depending on the matchup. When you ask him to be a starter-level shooting guard, the COACH is setting him up to fail.

Coach blew it. Just like he did with Adama in the SJU game. I'm sure he knows it. If he's learned from his mistakes, and it seems he has, then we're fine. Year 3 of a rebuild.
Took him forever to realize Whaley could be an asset too. Insisted on carlton forever last year. So this isn’t an aberration of taking too long to settle on a rotation...more the norm.

Reaction Score
Much to appreciate.
My suggestion was that certain points, when essentially repeated, lost some of their impact.
Get off your high horse. It’s a fan message board. Not a daily affirmation forum. If you want that head over to the women’s board.

Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more on Adams. He has been a net negative. Now that Jackson is playing we need to play Adams very little. If Bouk comes back it should go to zero.

I am torn on Carlton. He was maddening last year but I think he has improved. And Sanogo still has lots of work to do. He isn't playing THAT much better than this year's flavor of Carlton.

If it were me, I would start small with Whaley at the 5 and sub in Carlton and Sanogo equally. And, most of that time I would shift Whaley to the 4. He is too valuable out there.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more on Adams. He has been a net negative. Now that Jackson is playing we need to play Adams very little. If Bouk comes back it should go to zero.

I am torn on Carlton. He was maddening last year but I think he has improved. And Sanogo still has lots of work to do. He isn't playing THAT much better than this year's flavor of Carlton.

If it were me, I would start small with Whaley at the 5 and sub in Carlton and Sanogo equally. And, most of that time I would shift Whaley to the 4. He is too valuable out there.

I have little doubt Josh can come in and be a serviceable third big in the rotation as needed. He very much is a less is more type player.

Reaction Score

That would Cut into the development of sanogo. If they are similar go with the guy with a future with the program who has the higher ceiling.

Reaction Score

Carlton is a good rebounder on both ends. He is weak going to the basket. His hands are just average. If you played him 30 minutes a game he would have serviceable numbers. He is pretty much at his upside. Great kid.

Sanogo is a beast. A physical presence on both ends of the floor. He has a nice touch around the basket and is an immovable force. His hands have been, well, let's say a disappointment. His talent is obvious and his upside is considerable.

You have to play Sanogo more than Carlton. Have to. He will get better and better the more he sees the court. He will eat space and wear down opposing big men. Carlton is your break the glass in case of emergency big guy. Give him enough minutes to stay in game shape.

Reaction Score

A Cole, Bouk, Martin, Whaley and Sanogo line up is the way to go when Bouk comes back. Andre off the bench to take minutes in the 2-3 spots as required, Polley to some off the bench to get open and get a bit more space for Bouk and TMart to to work in. Gaff to let RJ rest, Josh to let Sanogo rest and stay of of foul trouble.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A Cole, Bouk, Martin, Whaley and Sanogo line up is the way to go when Bouk comes back. Andre off the bench to take minutes in the 2-3 spots as required, Polley to some off the bench to get open and get a bit more space for Bouk and TMart to to work in. Gaff to let RJ rest, Josh to let Sanogo rest and stay of of foul trouble.

I'll caveat that lineup with this. First signs of UConn struggling for offensive flow, Jackson has to come in for Sanogo and move Whaley to the 5.

Cole having Bouk, Jackson and Martin at the wings and Whaley moving around is the most versatile team and forces the opponent to be the most agile. Martin's and Jackson's ability to rebound along with Whaley is more than enough defensive rebounding.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll caveat that lineup with this. First signs of UConn struggling for offensive flow, Jackson has to come in for Sanogo and move Whaley to the 5.

Cole having Bouk, Jackson and Martin at the wings and Whaley moving around is the most versatile team and forces the opponent to be the most agile. Martin's and Jackson's ability to rebound along with Whaley is more than enough defensive rebounding.

Hit "Post reply" too quickly.

You then also have Akok to spell Martin which gives you Cole, Bouk, Jackson, Akok and Whaley. Trade some strength for length.

Reaction Score
That would Cut into the development of sanogo. If they are similar go with the guy with a future with the program who has the higher ceiling.
True. So, yes, give Sanogo a little more PT than Carlton. But I am thinking that zero minutes for Carlton is a bit low.

Reaction Score

Not bad only issue with that lineup is who's posting up the defense to keep them on their toes, only Sanogo can play solid back to the basket offense with his left and right jump hooks as well as his footwork. Neither Andre or Isaiah have that ability so their defenders will be faster to help on the drivers like Bouk, Martin. It can be the lineup on occasion but Sanogo for 25 minutes makes this team better, especially with more space having Bouk as the scorer. Just not sure who the good interior passers are, we aren't great there!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not bad only issue with that lineup is who's posting up the defense to keep them on their toes, only Sanogo can play solid back to the basket offense with his left and right jump hooks as well as his footwork. Neither Andre or Isaiah have that ability so their defenders will be faster to help on the drivers like Bouk, Martin. It can be the lineup on occasion but Sanogo for 25 minutes makes this team better, especially with more space having Bouk as the scorer. Just not sure who the good interior passers are, we aren't great there!

When you put Whaley at the 5 he stays out of the paint and opens it up for Bouk, Martin or Jackson. That's why Whaley making a 3 every game forces the defense to guard him away from the basket.

Truth be told, I'd be okay having Bouk or Martin be able to work their man one on one down on the blocks.

I'd also love to see Bouk with the ball on one wing and Jackson or Martin crashing hard to the basket from the weakside and see what happens.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Anybody who thinks they've seen the last of Adams is crazy - blood is thicker than water and DH and Adams are blood brothers
Josh may be a different story but I see a bit of Phil Nolan in him where he could contribute in some big games

Reaction Score
Anybody who thinks they've seen the last of Adams is crazy - blood is thicker than water and DH and Adams are blood brothers
Josh may be a different story but I see a bit of Phil Nolan in him where he could contribute in some big games
That would be a shame. His team. But if he plays him he hurts their chances of making a run at the NCAAs.

Reaction Score
I am and was irked by it. But the action of doing what he had to do is much easier said than done. You have to remember that Adams is his guy. The first guy he brought over here and they have a special bond .

It’s not easy to bench a really good dude whom you have a special connection with.

I get as a head coach of an elite program you have to make tough decisions. But it’s not as easy as we make it seem from afar.

These are relationships and people we are talking about. Not just stats and numbers.

I think it has less to do with his ability to recognize what he had to do and more to do with the difficulty and emotional repercussions of actually having to do it.
Hopefully everyone here realizes DH has an obligation to treat Adams right, but he has a much bigger obligation...............the team.
He can't let the team miss out on the tournament, or get a poor seeding, due to his sentimental feelings about a player, regardless of the fact he was his first recruit. That's how managers/coaches fail and when they do it's the team that is harmed the most. And, if DH is the coach we believe he is, Adams knows and understands.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom