Adams and Carlton out | The Boneyard

Adams and Carlton out

Reaction Score
They look to be out of the rotation. Either Hurley is listening to us or he’s ACTUALLY a good and observant coach. Who woulda thunk it.

Reaction Score
They look to be out of the rotation. Either Hurley is listening to us or he’s ACTUALLY a good and observant coach. Who woulda thunk it.

The problem is that it took him 13 games and weeks of extra practices to realize Adams shouldn't be playing 30 minutes a game. If you think he didn't blow it playing Adams so much earlier in the season, you aren't looking. He's way too slow to adjust. That's going to be more and more important for him to fix as we continue to recruit higher level players.

You can't wait until February to decide to play a guy like Hawkins big minutes next year over an inefficient senior.

Reaction Score
The problem is that it took him 13 games and weeks of extra practices to realize Adams shouldn't be playing 30 minutes a game. If you think he didn't blow it playing Adams so much earlier in the season, you aren't looking. He's way too slow to adjust. That's going to be more and more important for him to fix as we continue to recruit higher level players.

You can't wait until February to decide to play a guy like Hawkins big minutes next year over an inefficient senior.
Totally agreed

Reaction Score

To be fair, Hurley didn’t have Akok & Jackson to plug into the rotation like he does now.

Reaction Score
To be fair, Hurley didn’t have Akok & Jackson to plug into the rotation like he does now.

There was no reason--ever--for Adams to average the most minutes on the team after Bouk early in the season. It was loyalty to a fault from our coach. Coaching at UConn is different than URI. Our freshman have the potential to be unbelievably talented. Sanogo fits that bill. Jackson potentially, and I'd guess Hawkins too.

With Bouk and Jackson out, I would have understood 10-15 minutes out of necessity. 30 minutes, including crunch time, was unacceptable. Adams is a great kid, hard worker, and has some talent... but he isn't good enough to play NBE starter minutes. Anyone watching these games saw he could succeed as a 5-15 minutes bennch guy depending on the matchup. When you ask him to be a starter-level shooting guard, the COACH is setting him up to fail.

Coach blew it. Just like he did with Adama in the SJU game. I'm sure he knows it. If he's learned from his mistakes, and it seems he has, then we're fine. Year 3 of a rebuild.

Reaction Score
There was no reason--ever--for Adams to average the most minutes on the team after Bouk early in the season. It was loyalty to a fault from our coach. Coaching at UConn is different than URI. Our freshman have the potential to be unbelievably talented. Sanogo fits that bill. Jackson potentially, and I'd guess Hawkins too.

With Bouk and Jackson out, I would have understood 10-15 minutes out of necessity. 30 minutes, including crunch time, was unacceptable. Adams is a great kid, hard worker, and has some talent... but he isn't good enough to play NBE starter minutes. Anyone watching these games saw he could succeed as a 5-15 minutes bennch guy depending on the matchup. When you ask him to be a starter-level shooting guard, the COACH is setting him up to fail.

Coach blew it. Just like he did with Adama in the SJU game. I'm sure he knows it. If he's learned from his mistakes, and it seems he has, then we're fine. Year 3 of a rebuild.
Maybe it did take him too long, but I still like how Hurley is capable of adapting. It's a great sign.

Reaction Score
Maybe it did take him too long, but I still like how Hurley is capable of adapting. It's a great sign.

Sure, it's great he adapted at all, but are you seriously not irked that it took him so long to recognize what he needed to do? I'm not saying Hurley needs to be fired... he's clearly a great coach. But criticism and some accountability from the fans/media is part of the gig when you get paid 3 million a year to coach a game and then mess up.

Notice I never said anything bad about Adams. He isn't being paid for this. He's a kid. Deserves the benefit of the doubt. He just has physical/mental limitations.

Reaction Score
Sure, it's great he adapted at all, but are you seriously not irked that it took him so long to recognize what he needed to do? I'm not saying Hurley needs to be fired... he's clearly a great coach. But criticism and some accountability from the fans/media is part of the gig when you get paid 3 million a year to coach a game and then mess up.

Notice I never said anything bad about Adams. He isn't being paid for this. He's a kid. Deserves the benefit of the doubt. He just has physical/mental limitations.
It did yes, but we have been plagued by injuries.

Reaction Score
I actually miss Adam’s watching Gaffney play today. That’s saying something

Reaction Score

I’ve been preaching this for weeks. His in game adjustments need to be quicker too. He’s turned at least 2-3 Ws into LS by not reacting quickly enough.

Reaction Score
If Sanogo keeps dropping every pass and rebound and being completely lost on D Josh will get burn
We will see Josh again especially when we play against really big teams or get into foul trouble with out bigs. I don't see Adams getting anymore play especially when Bouk comes back.

Reaction Score

Both your posts about Adams and more so Hurley were spot on. There was no vitriol towards Adams or Hurley. Yes, it's on Hurley for playing Adams as if he can be a NBE starter-it's a disservice to Adams and really not fair.
All the calls for Hurley to be fired next year if they miss the tourney are ridiculous beyond comprehension. And Hurley is a great hire and will get UConn back to the promise land, but he isn't beyond reproach.

Reaction Score
The drama around Adams pt has never been an issue. He wasn't playing because he's Hurley's guy. He was only playing out of necessity. All that was required was for a few others to get healthy. I assumed Bouk would have to return for Adams minutes to drop to zero. Apparently not.

We will only see him again in emergency situations or if a couple other players are just playing absolutely horrible.

Considering how low on the depth chart Adams is when everyone is healthy. I was very happy with how he played.

Reaction Score

He was too slow on Bouknight, too slow on Sanogo, looked like he was going to be too slow on Jackson before the injury. i get that we were undermanned but there is just no excuse for the amount of minutes Adams was getting just like there was no excuse for playing so slowly. He has to have learned his lesson by now I think, just don't know why these things take so long. We even saw a zone look for a couple of possessions today. Baby steps I guess.

Reaction Score
We will see Josh again especially when we play against really big teams or get into foul trouble with out bigs. I don't see Adams getting anymore play especially when Bouk comes back.
Bouk coming back? You are probably right he will return, but my default assumption is he isn't returning this year. Until I see him on the court I am sticking to that.

Reaction Score
Applaud Hurley for his recruiting effort. Needs to go to coach camp this summer on how to coach 101. This kind of stuff cannot happen in the future.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score

Wooh, preach Brosef! I mean Coach Brosef!

Reaction Score
My hope is he does so much reading and introspection that he is a little like some of us: a deep thinker that is a little bit of a slow processor.

The $1 mill question is will he quit recruiting an overabundance of hard-working, can't get a shot off themselves players (because they're gritty or tough or whatever) and instead have a group where more than 1-2 players on the entire roster can create a shot? The two don't have to be mutually exclusive!

No excuse to come into this season with basically one player on the roster who can create a shot and a freshman who can but will be eased into rotation like Jackson was. No excuse.

I think Hurley is just that deep thinker/slow processor but once it clicks, he's got it. This is not an attack, loyalty and deep thinking is good - just needs to be sped up or assistants need to be less timid & point it out. Not sure how anyone could look at this roster in the offseason, which is really good admittedly- and not think we need a playmaking 1 or 2 to go with our group!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom