Adamec: Yikes! Tons of Gatorade POY are on our list! | The Boneyard

Adamec: Yikes! Tons of Gatorade POY are on our list!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
http://snyuconn.com/uconn/recruiting-targets-pick-up-gatorade-honors/

Carl lists many of our targets as winning their state player of the year award.
One of 'em...Erin Boley...is only a soph!

Note: Ct. POY is junior Kiah Gillespie of Capital Prep. I still wonder if there is mutual interest between Kiah and UConn. Cap Prep plays tonight in the Class L quarters....they are undefeated with some nice wins over NYC area teams including a one point win at Murry Bergtraum when Kiah went for 27.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Congrats to the players! Lots of juniors winning the award.

Lou averaged 26 and 10! I didn't know that she was such a prolific rebounder.

I really want A'ja, Asia, and Lou. :)

Reaction Score
Congrats to the players! Lots of juniors winning the award.

Lou averaged 26 and 10! I didn't know that she was such a prolific rebounder.

I really want A'ja, Asia, and Lou. :)
Glad you're not greedy.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
And KLS can also hit the three pointer......... from over half court. :D

note: the clock on the tv screen is not accurate and the shot was good.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Greedy indeed. If UConn actually were to get those players, then UConn would have gotten:

• The #1 player from the high school class of 2011 (KML);
  • The #1 and #2 players from the high school class of 2012 (Stewie and Moriah);
  • The #1 player from the class of 2014 (A'ja Wilson);
  • The #1 and #2 players from the class of 2015 (Asia Durr and Katie Lou Samuelson).
Geno must have been sleeping in 2013!

At the very least, that would support Cardfan's theory that the reason UConn is dominating college basketball is that it gets the top recruits almost every year (nothing to do with the quality of coaching, as if that isn't the primary reason for the recruiting success).

It would unfortunately also give credibility to those who worry about the lack of parity in WCBB, and give excuses to Top 20 teams not to include UConn on their out-of-conference schedules. ("With the talent they have, how can you expect us to stay within 20 points of them?")

Closer to home, it would reduce playing time for other UConn players who are just slightly below that talent level, which would tend to reduce UConn's attractiveness to players who are merely #10 or #20 in their high school class. That would then create the short-bench situation that causes so much angst on this board.

You might almost conclude that it is better if UConn misses out on 1 or 2 of these 3 players.

Last edited:

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Greedy indeed. If UConn actually were to get those players, then UConn would have gotten:

Geno must have been sleeping in 2013!

Or maybe he was busy during the recruiting period.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You might almost conclude that it is better if UConn misses out of 1 or 2 of these 3 players.
Almost.....but nah.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I wonder if Kiah Gillespie would be a solid UCONN player - more like a Jess Moore, or more like a Heather Buck? Anyone know if UCONN is looking hard at her?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
And KLS can also hit the three pointer.... from over half court. :D

note: the clock on the tv screen is not accurate and the shot was good.

That's positively Taurasian!

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
I wonder if Kiah Gillespie would be a solid UCONN player - more like a Jess Moore, or more like a Heather Buck? Anyone know if UCONN is looking hard at her?

If I'm not mistaken, Tennessee is at the top of her list. She also lists Candace Parker as her favorite player.

Last edited:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
BTW: Cap Prep won their quarterfinal game againsty Bristol Eastern 73-33...Kiah
had 31 including three treys.

BTW#2: I see that the Iowa Gatorade POY is Haley Lorenzen. I bet that her brother is Tyler
Lorenzen...a QB for UConn a few years ago....he is from Io

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score

According to rivals, uconn isn't recruiting her at this time. Of course that could change I suppose. She has 14 offers, 4 of which are from top 25 schools, Tennessee included.

Reaction Score

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Interesting. Nice article sawx. Thanks for the link. Her stock is def rising and when someone like geno starts to take notice, so does everyone else.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn has nothing to prove to any recruit. IMO having Geno offer you is a privilage and an honor that not many receive. I dont mean that to sound pompus either. UConn is the best and has been for quite sometime. To be considered by Geno you need more then to be a grea player. You have to have the right attitude, team beliefs, and abilities to change. You have to have the want to, you have to be a unselfish winner. The great ones are willing to change to get better.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
UConn has nothing to prove to any recruit. IMO having Geno offer you is a privilage and an honor that not many receive. I dont mean that to sound pompus either. UConn is the best and has been for quite sometime. To be considered by Geno you need more then to be a grea player. You have to have the right attitude, team beliefs, and abilities to change. You have to have the want to, you have to be a unselfish winner. The great ones are willing to change to get better.

Good point. I have no doubt that this truly describes Diamond DeShields or she never would have been offered. I think the criticism of her as being selfish is a bad wrap. Maybe she makes bad decisions but I don't think her effort can be questioned.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Good point. I have no doubt that this truly describes Diamond DeShields or she never would have been offered. I think the criticism of her as being selfish is a bad wrap. Maybe she makes bad decisions but I don't think her effort can be questioned.
I agree - and I think based on past performance UNC can be a fun place to but runs a much less disciplined style of basketball than a lot of good schools and certainly Uconn. It may be fun, but I am not sure it is great for truly developing talent for the next level

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken, Tennessee is at the top of her list. She also lists Candace Parker as her favorite player.

It is generally well know that, with some reality checks, cult members will leave the cult.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I found this quote to be quite interesting. I can't remember ever hearing a player say this before.

"Is the program going to be good or is it going to turn the corner after I leave?”

Was it Vladimir Putin who said it?

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

Have to disagree with you Tony, in part.

From a basketball standpoint, UConn recruits itself. There may be questions here and there (for example, Candace Parker's mother was questioning Gail Goestenkors about how her daughter would be featured in the Duke offense and how it would work playing her next to Brittney Hunter, in terms of the focal point of the offense). But I agree with your main points.

That being said, Geno may have to "prove" things to a recruit outside of basketball. For example, a recruit may have a particular academic interest in a program UConn does not have. Could Geno demonstrate that an individualized academic curriculum be created for that player? There may be weather-related questions, especially in light of the winter storms in the past few months.

Maybe "prove" is too strong of a word. But outside of the realm of basketball, there may be questions from recruits that Geno will have to answer. This is true for any coach. Coach K at Duke has to do this on the men's side, despite four national titles and two Olympic gold medals. It is part of the recruiting process, which is going to be very individualized in some respects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom