2020 Recruiting: - Adama Sanogo to UConn | Page 15 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Adama Sanogo to UConn

Reaction Score
I wonder, on average, how do teams fare that are farthest away from the geographical heart of the conference? Feels like a disadvantage in a lot of ways, from bad travel hours to not letting family see you play as often.

Last summer, I compared teams that left the Big East to teams that stayed in the Big East. There are obviously many variables at play, but teams that left the Big East (Syracuse, Pitt, UConn, BC) fared worse, on average, than teams that stayed in the Big East, relative to their previous performance.

Reaction Score
Last summer, I compared teams that left the Big East to teams that stayed in the Big East. There are obviously many variables at play, but teams that left the Big East (Syracuse, Pitt, UConn, BC) fared worse, on average, than teams that stayed in the Big East, relative to their previous performance.

UConn never left the big east

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Adama:
14 PTS
11 REB
3 AST

2 TO
4 STL
1 BLK
7/13 FG
0/0 FT

Cliff:
3 PTS
9 REB
0 AST

2 TO
0 STL
3 BLK

1/9 FG (0/7 fg when sanogo was playing)
1/6 FT (no fouls on Adama. Either when he’s out of the game, or hedging and help is late)

Two best centers in New Jersey head to head, and he completely neutralized Cliff offensively. Cliff played the entire game, Sanogo probably played 28 minutes. Sanogo took away the post-entry angle well. When he got the ball, Sanogo absorbed the post up in the gut and held his ground every time. Didn’t even seem to be working that hard. At 1:15:20 he literally laughed off a mid-range shot from Cliff and didn’t raise his hand. Felt like one of the quietest dominant performances of a matchup I’ve seen in HS in a while. The stats don’t tell the whole story. Cliff couldn’t do anything on offense.

• His team blitzes pick and roll as we do. He’s not quick enough for it at the NBE level, but the positive is that he has familiarity with the concept. Should make learning our D easier.
  • A LOT better passer from the block than I expected. Not a black hole at all, even when he doesn’t get the assist. The ability to get the ball out when the post up isn’t there is huge, hitting cutters is even better.
  • Love how well he plays within himself. Not doing too much, not really any bad shots. Stopped Cliff at the rim, hedged as well as he could, made easy buckets, passed the ball. Simple, not flashy, but really effective this game.
  • Corey Floyd Jr. is really, really good for a sophomore. I hope we keep recruiting him.
Thanks for the good analysis. What is your take on Sampson Johnson who I think was only a soph this year?

Reaction Score
Thanks for the good analysis. What is your take on Sampson Johnson who I think was only a soph this year?

He's 2021. So the junior class.

Not sure he's at our level the way our recruiting has been trending without some major improvement in the next year.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Well, we weren’t in the Big East.
We were in the same league we joined in 1979. We never left the Big East. The American sold the name to the Catholic 7 schools that left the conference.

Reaction Score
We were in the same league we joined in 1979. We never left the Big East. The American sold the name to the Catholic 7 schools that left the conference.
Yeah enough with that

Reaction Score
Facts
Yes and no. While technically we were still in the OBE it's not the BE. When the NBE bought the name from the AAC they bought the records. So it really isn't the same conference.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes and no. While technically we were still in the OBE it's not the BE. When the NBE bought the name from the AAC they bought the records. So it really isn't the same conference.
Nope. It is the same conference. It has the same offices. We never left.

Last edited:

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Nope. It the same conference. It has the same offices. We never left.
We used to use NBE as like a slur towards the league. Now that we’re back we can go back to calling it the BE.

Reaction Score
Maybe not, but somehow though some cosmic fart in the space-time continuum, we did end up in the AAC.
The nightmare is over, we're back home. Join us and celebrate.

Never indicated I was unhappy about the move, I am thrilled.

CL82

Reaction Score
We used to use NBE as like a slur towards the league. Now that we’re back we can go back to calling it the BE.
Agree, but we don’t have to pretend that we moved out of the conference we joined in 1979 to do that.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Sanogo vs Diggins. Sanogo fouls out in the 3rd but is dominant at times. This is from December 2018 you can see that he’s pretty much just a big, long, active rebounding machine. Hasn’t yet added the array of post moves. Not enough has been mentioned about his length, look at how long his arms are. Only measurement I could find was a 7’2.5 wingspan! Measured over a year ago.

Last edited:

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Patrick School at Luhi 2/13/20
higher quality version of the game vs Luhi.

Adama is a massive addition. A do it all big man.

He steps out for a feathery jumper just beyond the free throw line early on. If you’ve watched his games you’ll know what a quality finisher he is with both hands. Catches and rebounds like no big we’ve seen at UConn in several seasons. Agile and fluid attacking the rim ending with a finish or a dish.

The way the staff has proven to gradually improve the talent they’ve brought in.. Adama doesn’t have much in the way of a ceiling right now, with expected improvements to his athleticism(only 17).

The game against IMG showed so much of this. Sanogo’s first game back, from ineligibility, and he carries his team to the finish line, albeit in a 20 point loss, with 24 and 12. Was up against multiple 7’ footers, high major D1 commits, and top 100 recruits and was the only real bright spot for The Patrick School. Also, Samson Johnson has loads of potential. The Patrick School (NJ) vs IMG Academy (FL) - HoopHall Classic - ESPN Broadcast Highlights

Reaction Score

I saw this a few weeks back and didn't watch it because I didn't want to get to know him/get my hopes up if we didn't land him.

After he committed, I tried to find it unsuccessfully. Thanks for posting! So excited to have him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom