Adama Sanogo comparison | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Adama Sanogo comparison

Reaction Score
What do you think you're watching that makes Boone a more skilled offensive player than Sanogo. Boone had a little hook shot from a few feet out but 95% of his offense was catch and dunks/layups and tip ins.

Oriakhi is a terrible comparison, Oriakhi has no touch. His offensive game was crashing the offensive boards and brute force.
My point (perhaps not precisely made) was that Josh was underrated on the offensive end. He was relentless on the glass and was fantastic at creating/filling space for dunks and fast break layups as well as lay-ins from within the paint. Adama is more pivot/jump hook and power. Both are great.

Reaction Score
This kid is an Angel Delgado clone. Delgado was a beast of a player at Seton Hall who gobbled up every rebound. Sanogo will be a monster on the boards and while not a high flier he seems like he'll probably be a little bouncier/more fluid athletically than Delgado.

Makes our obsession with Cliff seem a little silly now, Adama ate Cliff's lunch when they went head to head.
I was more excited about Sanogo than any of our recent recruits. He was ranked in the 30s for the 21 class and likely would have ended up a 5 star.

Reaction Score
Adama for sure has the better post up/pivot skills. He's gonna be a total beast as a soph/junior/senior (if he stays). Can't wait to see him grow his skills (hands and feet) - gonna be a fun ride!!
I dont think he`ll be here by his senior year but i could definitely see him still here his junior year which is a scary thought because Samson will be in his sophomore year and i believe Clingan will be a frosh. Yikes!!!

Reaction Score
Sanogo's touch is remarkable but even more so is his patience in the paint. So many young bigs rush things when they get the ball. Sanogo is out there like he's going through a walk-through pre-game. His poise and patience are rare.
His patience is a very underrated part of his game that no one really mentions. That being said sometimes he takes too long to make his move and gives the D time to get in position.

Reaction Score
Othello Harrington 6'9" 235 lbs. 1992-1996
Jahidi Tighty White 6'9" 290 lbs. 1994-1998

Reaction Score
It's a loooong stretch to say that Adama is more skilled offensively now than Boone ever was. Here's Josh in his junior year:

Great hands and feet for a big man and super quick-twitch athletic skills.

Junior year? Sanogo is a freshman, but not only that but he played very little first half because of Covid and underuse by Hurley. Sanogo said at one point that he wanted to be playing more and that heaven Hurley did that because if he was buried on the bench we could have lost him. Check his numbers out since Hurley has been giving him more minutes.

Reaction Score
His patience is a very underrated part of his game that no one really mentions. That being said sometimes he takes too long to make his move and gives the D time to get in position.
I love the time he takes. I was tired of seeing our centers not able to convert easy layups and throw up bricks with no touch. That ain’t Adama.

Reaction Score
What do you think you're watching that makes Boone a more skilled offensive player than Sanogo. Boone had a little hook shot from a few feet out but 95% of his offense was catch and dunks/layups and tip ins.

Oriakhi is a terrible comparison, Oriakhi has no touch. His offensive game was crashing the offensive boards and brute force.

Comparing Sanogo to Boone is stupid. It’s not even close overall Josh Boone was a better player and played against better competition. If he can reach Boone’s success it will be a great achievement for Adama.

No one would take Sanogo over Boone if they had to pick one. The talent level in college basketball nowadays is much worse than it was during Calhoun’s time.

Oriakhi is a good comparison for him. Same body and overall game and limitations. Oriakhi also was a pretty good player for us so it’s not a knock on Sanogo.

Reaction Score
It's a loooong stretch to say that Adama is more skilled offensively now than Boone ever was. Here's Josh in his junior year:

Josh was a different type of big man who lived in rebound and alley oops or easy passes for his scores. Sanogo actually has an offensive post game. I don't think we have had anyone even close to his post moves. Okafor had a few including a quick turnaround and jump hook but he didn't have the advanced footwork that Sanogo possesses.

Reaction Score
Comparing Sanogo to Boone is stupid. It’s not even close overall Josh Boone was a better player and played against better competition. If he can reach Boone’s success it will be a great achievement for Adama.

No one would take Sanogo over Boone if they had to pick one. The talent level in college basketball nowadays is much worse than it was during Calhoun’s time.

Oriakhi is a good comparison for him. Same body and overall game and limitations. Oriakhi also was a pretty good player for us so it’s not a knock on Sanogo.
Oriakhi is a horrible comparison. Oriakhi didn't posses the same post game as Sangago and like another poster said was more of a brute force guy with no finesse. Josh was a junkyard dog with no offensive game besides putbacks, alley-opps and short passes. He was a better defender and more atheltic but a horrible shooter.

Reaction Score
Junior year? Sanogo is a freshman, but not only that but he played very little first half because of Covid and underuse by Hurley. Sanogo said at one point that he wanted to be playing more and that heaven Hurley did that because if he was buried on the bench we could have lost him. Check his numbers out since Hurley has been giving him more minutes.
Exactly my point - the OP said Sonoga was better than Josh EVER was.

Reaction Score

I watched the highlights and remember Boone well. The highlights are exactly how I remember him. He scored with quickness and athleticism. Lots of dives to the basket and deep pins, and he ran the floor like crazy. Not a lot of post footwork. Sonogo’s post game is better. That doesn’t mean he’s a better player.

Reaction Score

Youre comparing a guys 3 years to a guy whos played 20 games. Oriakhi was not as good offensively. Also Oriaki ended up transferring because off the court issues started effecting his game on the court.

Reaction Score
Youre comparing a guys 3 years to a guy whos played 20 games. Oriakhi was not as good offensively. Also Oriaki ended up transferring because off the court issues started effecting his game on the court.

I’m not comparing him to Boone. Others did. I am saying there is no comparison: Boone a far superior player. The talent back then was much much better than today’s game. If I’m starting a team I take Boone over Sanogo no questions.

Sanogo reminds me of Oriakhi in terms of play. That’s not a slight because Oriakhi was a McDonald’s All American, named to the Big East All Rookie team like Sanogo, and was actually drafted in the 2nd round of the NBA draft his senior year.

Mumu left UCONN because Calhoun retired, new coach and Big East conference collapsing, sanctions and no postseason the following year, and was looking to be the go to guy.

Reaction Score
I’m not comparing him to Boone. Others did. I am saying there is no comparison: Boone a far superior player. The talent back then was much much better than today’s game. If I’m starting a team I take Boone over Sanogo no questions.

Sanogo reminds me of Oriakhi in terms of play. That’s not a slight because Oriakhi was a McDonald’s All American, named to the Big East All Rookie team like Sanogo, and was actually drafted in the 2nd round of the NBA draft his senior year.

Mumu left UCONN because Calhoun retired, new coach and Big East conference collapsing, sanctions and no postseason the following year, and was looking to be the go to guy.
I have no problem with your opinion but you are comparing a guy who has only played 20 games and is not yet the player hes going to be to a guy who developed his full game. Its not a fair comparison. You say Boone played against better talent but you dont mention he was also surrounded by far far better talent also allowing him to have success especially early on playing alongside Mek and basically a bunch of NBA players.

Reaction Score
I

“No one would take Sanogo over Boone if they had to pick one. The talent level in college basketball nowadays is much worse than it was during Calhoun’s time.”

If you are asking me who I pick between freshMn AS and JB I am taking AS. I think junior and senior AS have higher upside them JB.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It’s his physicality plus the fact that he really doesn’t get sped up much. People can be collapsing on him and he just does his thing. He’s a special kid.

Slow is fast and fast is slow. He has some of that Matrix stuff going on with his moves where the defense is a periphery to what he is doing with his moves.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I

“No one would take Sanogo over Boone if they had to pick one. The talent level in college basketball nowadays is much worse than it was during Calhoun’s time.”

If you are asking me who I pick between freshMn AS and JB I am taking AS. I think junior and senior AS have higher upside them JB.
Freshman JB started on a national title team.

Reaction Score
Angel Delgado was a hell of a college player. I think Adama has a higher ceiling and greater pro potential. His growth this year on both ends of the floor was seismic. If he continues down that path, he will be unstoppable.

Reaction Score
Sanogo’s first 5 games he played an average of 10 minutes. His last 5 he’s putting up numbers that are like Boones‘s junior year. Let’s not forget that he took up basketball pretty late and I think he is making big progress. I do agree that Boone benefitted from support that was far greater than we have now.

Reaction Score
Freshman JB started on a national title team.
And he was a very important piece of that success. However, anyone who is being honest can see that Sanogo is far more talented on offense. Sanogo's touch is infinitely better. Josh crashed the glass and lived off putbacks, dunks, etc. If you look at Josh's NBA career, he basically shot himself out of the league by being an absolutely terrible free throw shooter. Historically bad, actually.

Josh was a great college player, but he had nowhere near the offensive skillset that Sanogo has.

Reaction Score
Good footwork, patience, and good hands have been commented on extensively. The thing most impressive to me is Sanogo's ability to rebound IN TRAFFIC. In a cluster of players, he invariably is the one that comes away with the ball. It makes the opponent's shots one-and-done. Martin also is great at gabbing boards in traffic. Add Whaley to that mix and a sound defense and it seems a good combination for tourney games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom