Adama Sanogo comparison | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Adama Sanogo comparison

Reaction Score
I can respect your take but he was more than decent as another poster said. Sanogo does have more touch and better footwork but I just wanna see more which I’m not doubting will happen. I loved Josh’s rebounding skills maybe the Duke game is clouding my view a Lil
Josh was great but I just never thought he was gifted offensively, Sanogo is.

Reaction Score
How does Sanogo's game compare to Mourning's. Mourning and Motumbo were both listed as centers. We didn't get to watch too many games back then on TV.

Sanogo
1 - 6.9 pts, 4.9 reb

Mourning 1988-1992 while playing with Motumbo through Junior year.
1 - 13.1 pts, 7.3 reb
2 - 16.5 pts, 8.5 reb
3 - 15.8 pts, 7.7 reb
4 - 213 pts, 10.7 reb

Reaction Score
How does Sanogo's game compare to Mourning's. Mourning and Motumbo were both listed as centers. We didn't get to watch too many games back then on TV.

Sanogo
1 - 6.9 pts, 4.9 reb

Mourning 1988-1992 while playing with Motumbo through Junior year.
1 - 13.1 pts, 7.3 reb
2 - 16.5 pts, 8.5 reb
3 - 15.8 pts, 7.7 reb
4 - 213 pts, 10.7 reb
Alonzo is an all-time great college center and a Hall of Famer, not fair to compare Sanogo to him. If you're going to do stats it's only fair to do them per 40 minutes

Reaction Score
Alonzo is an all-time great college center and a Hall of Famer, not fair to compare Sanogo to him. If you're going to do stats it's only fair to do them per 40 minutes
I was more curious to see how their style of games compared. I don't expect Sanogo to put up Alonzo numbers, although if he continues to improve, I could see him being as dominant by his junior year. Amazing that Alonzo played 4 years of college ball.

1992 Lottery - O'Neal, Mourning, Laettner, Jim Jackson, LaPhonso Ellis

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
No no no. Josh Boone was a decent player good enough to just make the NBA. I think Sanogo though different has a lot more potential in college and NBA. We haven’t seen whether he has outside shooting ability yet, have we?
I agree on potential. He seems well trained and perhaps a quick learner. Check out that footwork and go to with either (soft) hand near the rim. And he is just a freshman. I think Hurley was even surprised at how quickly he is learning from mistakes and starting to assert himself. I am astonished at his stamina and conditioning for a big.
One more thing. He is not an ostentatious player (like Okafor). He is just focused and, like some other of these new players (Jackson), has a great work ethic. They seem "all in" and give it all they've got. Hats off again to the staff for recruiting talented gamers. We need to give him some time to develop more like an outside shot. Since he can shoot with either hand from 10 feet in he should be able to master outside shooting with practice.

Reaction Score
Decent? A Lottery pick/mid first round and an integral part to a championship is more than decent lol
Love Josh and his contribution to our program. Josh freshman year averaged about 6 points and 6 rebounds. He brought that up to 12/8 and 10/7 his next 2 years. His 5 year NBA career was about 5/5. You don't expect better from Sanogo?

Reaction Score
Love Josh and his contribution to our program. Josh freshman year averaged about 6 points and 6 rebounds. He brought that up to 12/8 and 10/7 his next 2 years. His 5 year NBA career was about 5/5. You don't expect better from Sanogo?
I don’t expect Sanogo to be a lottery pick. But I do expect similar if not slightly better numbers

Reaction Score
I don’t expect Sanogo to be a lottery pick. But I do expect similar if not slightly better numbers
Per 40 his scoring and rebounding numbers are a lot better than Boone's freshman year and the same as Boone's sophomore year which was Boone's beat year. Both great but totally different players. It's just great to have a big with footwork, low post moves, and touch. It's the one thing this program has never really had.

Reaction Score
Adama is not better than Josh Boone. Boone was taller, longer, more athletic, and a better defender. People here have no idea how good many of our past players were under Calhoun. Calm down comparing him to Josh Boone or Emeka Okafor.

Adama can be compared to Alex Oriakhi.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Per 40 his scoring and rebounding numbers are a lot better than Boone's freshman year and the same as Boone's sophomore year which was Boone's beat year. Both great but totally different players. It's just great to have a big with footwork, low post moves, and touch. It's the one thing this program has never really had.
Well besides Okafor. He had a smooth low blocks game but not as a frosh . So that goes to your point . Just saying By soph/ junior year you could toss it in to Oak and good things happened. I can’t remember anyone on the blocks with a traditional post up game more skilled as a frosh than Sanogo.
Boone was absolutely a different player and brought a bunch of intangibles . Nice nose for the game and an excellent complimentary piece. Could you imagine Sanogo’s feet and touch with boones length? Scary thought.

anyway josh had a nice career here, Adama has worked into one quickly. But that comparison I don’t think washes. As you said totally different players.

Reaction Score
Adama is not better than Josh Boone. Boone was taller, longer, more athletic, and a better defender. People here have no idea how good many of our past players were under Calhoun. Calm down comparing him to Josh Boone or Emeka Okafor.

Adama is more skilled offensively now than Boone ever was. But they are very different players.

Reaction Score
Adama is more skilled offensively now than Boone ever was. But they are very different players.
It's a loooong stretch to say that Adama is more skilled offensively now than Boone ever was. Here's Josh in his junior year:

Great hands and feet for a big man and super quick-twitch athletic skills.

Reaction Score
I see a bunch of Zebo in Adama although I can see the Al Jefferson comp as well. Re: comparisons to Boone... AS is already more refined in the post but Boone appears to be the better overall athlete.

Reaction Score
It's a loooong stretch to say that Adama is more skilled offensively now than Boone ever was. Here's Josh in his junior year:

He is. Josh was more of a put back type post player. He was posting guys up and scoring over them regularly and definitely wasnt doing it as a freshmen. Josh still one of my favorite players of all time.

Reaction Score
He is. Josh was more of a put back type post player. He was posting guys up and scoring over them regularly and definitely wasnt doing it as a freshmen. Josh still one of my favorite players of all time.
I hear you a bit, but offense is offense no matter how it's done... Josh's skillset athletically is better than Adama's; Adama is more power-based. Love them both. Here's Josh's freshman resume:
Boone played college basketball for UConn and was named to the Big East All-Rookie Team. Started 37 of 38 games at power forward. Averaged 5.9 points, 5.8 rebounds and 1.7 blocks, and shot .554 from the field, for NCAA Champion Huskies. Scored nine points in both Final Four games, and grabbed 14 rebounds in National Semifinal win over Duke. Averaged 8.0 points and 11.3 rebounds in three Big East Tournament games. Set a Big East Tourney record for rebounds in a game by a freshman with a career-high 16 boards in quarterfinal win at Notre Dame. In the Huskies season opener vs. Yale, became the 12th freshman under Jim Calhoun to start the season opener.

Adama is averaging 1 point more per game as a freshman but clearly Josh was playing against better competition.

Again, love them both, but people forget how effective Josh was.

Reaction Score
I hear you a bit, but offense is offense no matter how it's done... Josh's skillset athletically is better than Adama's; Adama is more power-based. Love them both. Here's Josh's freshman resume:
Boone played college basketball for UConn and was named to the Big East All-Rookie Team. Started 37 of 38 games at power forward. Averaged 5.9 points, 5.8 rebounds and 1.7 blocks, and shot .554 from the field, for NCAA Champion Huskies. Scored nine points in both Final Four games, and grabbed 14 rebounds in National Semifinal win over Duke. Averaged 8.0 points and 11.3 rebounds in three Big East Tournament games. Set a Big East Tourney record for rebounds in a game by a freshman with a career-high 16 boards in quarterfinal win at Notre Dame. In the Huskies season opener vs. Yale, became the 12th freshman under Jim Calhoun to start the season opener.

Adama is averaging 1 point more per game as a freshman but clearly Josh was playing against better competition.

Again, love them both, but people forget how effective Josh was.
Thats great. I was there for all of it. I see what youre saying but even as a freshmen Sanogo has a better low post game. Other than that i agree with you.

Reaction Score
Thats great. I was there for all of it. I see what youre saying but even as a freshmen Sanogo has a better low post game. Other than that i agree with you.
Adama for sure has the better post up/pivot skills. He's gonna be a total beast as a soph/junior/senior (if he stays). Can't wait to see him grow his skills (hands and feet) - gonna be a fun ride!!

Reaction Score

What do you think you're watching that makes Boone a more skilled offensive player than Sanogo. Boone had a little hook shot from a few feet out but 95% of his offense was catch and dunks/layups and tip ins.

Oriakhi is a terrible comparison, Oriakhi has no touch. His offensive game was crashing the offensive boards and brute force.

Reaction Score
Sanogo has the edge IMO. He had a play vs Seton Hall where he caught the ball 18' out, Sikma Stepped, put it on the floor, did a jump-stop across the defender's body then hit him with an up-and-under. The huge 7'2 Seton Hall center made a nice recovery to block it, but Boone never had anything in his bag resembling a sequence like that. Sanogo only shows flashes like that, but otherwise he and Boone are pretty similar. Boone was the superior athlete. Taller, longer, much quicker off his feet, played above the rim more.

Sanogo's touch is remarkable but even more so is his patience in the paint. So many young bigs rush things when they get the ball. Sanogo is out there like he's going through a walk-through pre-game. His poise and patience are rare.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom