Adama Sanogo comparison | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Adama Sanogo comparison

Reaction Score
If he could be Elton Brand, that would be awesome. Elton was the best player in college basketball, first overall pick in the NBA draft, then had a 17 season NBA career with 6 seasons over 20 ppg and two All Star selections.

ideally, he'd be Elton Brand with a national title...... ;) ......just sayin

Reaction Score
He reminds me me of Rod Sellers. The build and ability. Sellers was very good rebounding in his space and out of his space. He has more offensive potential, but I'll take a Rod Sellers type in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
He'll be playing alongside Whaley a lot and they both can be a lone big in a small lineup.

What makes you think he’ll replace Carlton? Whaley is for sure a guaranteed starter. Polley might be used as a 4 man for spacing purposes. The battle between Sanogo, Carlton, and Springs should be interesting.

Good problem to have

Reaction Score
An interesting thread from last year. I like the comparison of Sanogo to Elton Brand, both listed at 6-9 but barely 6-8, both skilled operators directly beneath the hoop, but both undersized for an NBA 5. Brand, of course, went to the NBA after his sophomore season at Duke and had a strong NBA career, much of it at the 5. Worth noting before we assume that Sanogo's "undersize" will keep him at UConn for four years. I think he's probably gone after next year and, hopefully, with the NC in his belt that Brand was so cruelly denied. (wink)

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Ok guys anyone remember Kirk King?
My favorite pre-Mek big. As a soph and junior, he had much better range on the jumper than Adama, but he didn't have nearly the upper body strength that Sanogo does.
On offense, Sanogo reminds me more of KFree. That can't be an accident. He feels his way around the coverage, covering 8 or 10 feet of space without moving his pivot foot. That was trademark KFree with a rebound in his hands.

Reaction Score
Most impressive is his patience and perseverance. He gets the ball and pivots until he gets the best shot. Many rush the shot just to get rid of it and end up off balance. I think the patience also gives teammates a chance to get into position for a rebound. And he just looks taller than 6-9 when he's banging.

Reaction Score
An interesting thread from last year. I like the comparison of Sanogo to Elton Brand, both listed at 6-9 but barely 6-8, both skilled operators directly beneath the hoop, but both undersized for an NBA 5. Brand, of course, went to the NBA after his sophomore season at Duke and had a strong NBA career, much of it at the 5. Worth noting before we assume that Sanogo's "undersize" will keep him at UConn for four years. I think he's probably gone after next year and, hopefully, with the NC in his belt that Brand was so cruelly denied. (wink)
Sanogo isn’t going to be a 2 and out player

Reaction Score
Sanogo isn’t going to be a 2 and out player
I would tend to agree. He has a throwback center’s game and he’s not tall or particularly athletic. But what he does do he does spectacularly well. It’s not a sexy profile for today’s game, but it’s hard to argue with his results.

In conference play he’s 19th in usage, 7th in OR%, 1st in DR%, 3rd in BLK%, and 14th in 2P%. The turnovers are what’s hurting but that’s correctable

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Josh Boone?

Sanogo makes his layups for the most part. I think Rod Sellers is the closet UConn player, but Sanogo has way more potential once he learns the game.

Josh was terrific passing against the zone, If there is one thing Sanogo should watch this off-season it's those tapes.

Reaction Score
Also, not going to be the #1 overall pick lol. I think people are confused about which player Elton Brand was. Their games are not similar. Their heights are.
Yea exactly bro. We all love Adama but we gotta get realistic here lol

Reaction Score
I would tend to agree. He has a throwback center’s game and he’s not tall or particularly athletic. But what he does do he does spectacularly well. It’s not a sexy profile for today’s game, but it’s hard to argue with his results.

In conference play he’s 19th in usage, 7th in OR%, 1st in DR%, 3rd in BLK%, and 14th in 2P%. The turnovers are what’s hurting but that’s correctable
Yea he is perfect for the college game.. by his junior year I expect him to be comfortable from 15ft

Reaction Score
Did Adrien have the shot at the elbow? If I recall correctly, he tried about 5 of those at the buzzer in the 6 OT game and missed every one.
Texas A&M tournament game

Reaction Score
I think in the future we're going to be comparing new kids to Sanogo. Adama is really impressive and hopefully will stand on his own as a measuring stick for future 4/5's.

Hopefully he can hit face up mid-range next year. Maybe he can today but it's not needed. Kid is a beast and has a great attitude.

Hats off to the staff for recruiting him and his development.

Reaction Score
Sanogo makes his layups for the most part. I think Rod Sellers is the closet UConn player, but Sanogo has way more potential once he learns the game.

Josh was terrific passing against the zone, If there is one thing Sanogo should watch this off-season it's those tapes.
Not the athlete, passer, or height and length of Boone. Josh was productive in a title run as a freshman and we definitely don’t get past duke without him basically playing taps with himself lol. If Sanogo has Josh’s UCONN career then I’ll be pleasantly surprised

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Not the athlete, passer, or height and length of Boone. Josh was productive in a title run as a freshman and we definitely don’t get past duke without him basically playing taps with himself lol. If Sanogo has Josh’s UCONN career then I’ll be pleasantly surprised

You might be right, then why all the adulation from everyone for a guy who is just scratching the surface and has clear rough spots in his game. He's play really well the last two games, so maybe he's starting to figure it out.

He has a couple very good low post moves and is comfortable shooting from 8-10 feet. He is potentially a great defensive player but fouls way too much to be considered one right now and isn't reliable as a pick and roll defender. An X factor going into the post season for sure, but we shouldn't be relying on him as anything other than part of the big rotation and we get what we get. I'd be thrilled with solid team defense, 8ppg, 8rpg and 3 fouls from him.

Reaction Score
No no no. Josh Boone was a decent player good enough to just make the NBA. I think Sanogo though different has a lot more potential in college and NBA. We haven’t seen whether he has outside shooting ability yet, have we?

Reaction Score
You might be right, then why all the adulation from everyone for a guy who is just scratching the surface and has clear rough spots in his game. He's play really well the last two games, so maybe he's starting to figure it out.

He has a couple very good low post moves and is comfortable shooting from 8-10 feet. He is potentially a great defensive player but fouls way too much to be considered one right now and isn't reliable as a pick and roll defender. An X factor going into the post season for sure, but we shouldn't be relying on him as anything other than part of the big rotation and we get what we get. I'd be thrilled with solid team defense, 8ppg, 8rpg and 3 fouls from him.
Yes I agree with you wholeheartedly with this take. I just wanna see more before we start saying he is this and that feel me?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was a big Josh fan but Sanogo is way better offensively than him and is a better rebounder. Josh got a Big East defensive player of the year, Adama is improving a lot on defense but Josh gets the nod there.

Reaction Score
No no no. Josh Boone was a decent player good enough to just make the NBA. I think Sanogo though different has a lot more potential in college and NBA. We haven’t seen whether he has outside shooting ability yet, have we?
Decent? A Lottery pick/mid first round and an integral part to a championship is more than decent lol

Reaction Score
I was a big Josh fan but Sanogo is way better offensively than him and is a better rebounder. Josh got a Big East defensive player of the year, Adama is improving a lot on defense but Josh gets the nod there.
I can respect your take but he was more than decent as that is what another poster called him. Sanogo does have more touch and better footwork but I just wanna see more which I’m not doubting will happen. I loved Josh’s rebounding skills maybe the Duke game is clouding my view a Lil

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Most impressive is his patience and perseverance. He gets the ball and pivots until he gets the best shot. Many rush the shot just to get rid of it and end up off balance. I think the patience also gives teammates a chance to get into position for a rebound. And he just looks taller than 6-9 when he's banging.
It’s his physicality plus the fact that he really doesn’t get sped up much. People can be collapsing on him and he just does his thing. He’s a special kid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom