AD manuel impacting recruits because of not naming a "coach in waiting." | The Boneyard

AD manuel impacting recruits because of not naming a "coach in waiting."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ollie is going to be the next coach it's just stupid that he's not named coach in waiting or at the least incoming players should be reassured that we have a plan and Ollie is taking over.

Reaction Score
Enough already with the blind faith in a guy that hasn't coached a single game. Maybe the AD thinks a proper national search is best and maybe part of it is due to Ollie's inexperience and maybe the president of the university agrees and maybe Calhoun is the problem here.

U

UCONNfan1

How many other programs have had head coaches leave at the ends of their careers? this should be nothing new. Ollie has not only never coached a game, he's only been on the UCONN staff for a few years. If the UCONN staff can't figure out how to lure recruits then we will have to wait till JC retires and a new HC is named. Ollie has proven to be a great recruiter. He's proven zippo as a head coach.

If they really want a HC in waiting, then do a nationwide search. Make an offer to bring someone on as an assistant, if it's not going to be Ollie, with the contract stating that as soon as JC hangs em up, the new guy would be the new HC. Maybe there's no way a guy like Shaka Smart jumps ship to be an asst at UCONN for a year, but this whole "name Ollie" is ridiculous.

And I get that the natiowide search thing would not work now anyway. It's probably not a valid idea, but certainly more valid than naming Ollie at this point. A guy with 2 years recruiting experience and zero HC experience. Don't get me wrong - I think Ollie is fantastic and his relationships that have been developed with recruits speaks volumes about his abilities. But it says zero about his coaching ability.

If JC really wants Ollie then he needs to publicly come out and say it. A lot. and tell recruits all the time that he's pushing to have Ollie be the next HC... But explain to them that NO ONE has ever done it the way people seem to be suggesting, and convince them that UCONN is the right place for them regardless of if it's JC or Ollie.

Frankly I don't get why a staff can convince kids to come to UCONN when sanctions are in place and schollies are reduced, AND we have no shot at any post season this year, but they can't convince kids to come at the twilight of JC's career?

Reaction Score
And you are an idiot if you think I am anti-Ollie. I am pro-search which could very well end up choosing Ollie and I would then hope him wild success. But he has zero experience as a head coach and only a fool would ignore that. You are also clueless if you think we are the only two that feel this way.

Reaction Score
By the way, probably the best scenario is if Calhoun retires now and Ollie is named intirim coach with the permanent coach to be named after the season. This gives Ollie a chance to prove himself. If he does great he simply gets named the HC after the season. If not, a national search is held and Ollie becomes one candidate.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
First, this is a throw-away piece of news. Two anonymous recruits have UConn off their list because we haven't named a coach in waiting? Big yip.

Second, if there is uncertainty over our head coaching situation, that's on Jim Calhoun, not Warde Manuel. It's September and we do not yet have a firm commitment from Calhoun to even coach this season - throw a rock and you'll hit a big time program with an aging coach, but only one has to endure that head coach refusing to commit to the next minute, let alone the next season. The instability starts and stops with Jim Calhoun, not Warde Manuel. In fact, I'm glad we have an athletic director with the stones to refuse to allow the process to be dictated to him.

It's remarkable how easily some people can be led to a conclusion.

caw

Reaction Score
So you are saying it's the 70+ year old coaches fault that recruits are worried about him not coaching them. I think that's a given. Manuel not naming a "coach-in-waiting" is also hurting recruiting. It's not one or the other. I don't think one should be named, but not having one is partially responsible.

Reaction Score
I think the golden ticket for Kevin Ollie is to acquire some leverage going forward. That is something that would empower him as a prospective candidate.

One example Rick Majerus is not coaching Saint Louis this year. His contract runs out after next season. Lawrence Biondi and Rick Majerus more or less hate each other. Jim Crews was named interim head coach. If Saint Louis showed interest in Ollie at any juncture in the hiring process that would help Ollie quite a bit with UConn. Even if his name started circulating in various inner circles as a potential candidate it would have impact. That hasn't happened at all that I am aware of.

Honestly if I were KO's agent it would be time for some creative gamesmanship. Nothing to blantant just some subtle maneuvering behind the scenes. Just a little poker playing. Of course poker is a high risk game. Ollie needs to bluff intelligently. Basically sometimes its good strategy to mislead others to think just the opposite of the position you actually have. So if you have perceived weaknesses like Ollie has in lack of experience you need to TRY to keep the other players (Warde & Suzie) terrified in belief that you have all the best cards even if you don't! :cool:

JMHO of course. ...Boneyard Rules

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Are recruits really worried about who the coach be in 3 years?

90% think they will be in the draft after 2 years - at least the ones fans fawn over.

Reaction Score
First, this is a throw-away piece of news. Two anonymous recruits have UConn off their list because we haven't named a coach in waiting? Big yip.

Second, if there is uncertainty over our head coaching situation, that's on Jim Calhoun, not Warde Manuel. It's September and we do not yet have a firm commitment from Calhoun to even coach this season - throw a rock and you'll hit a big time program with an aging coach, but only one has to endure that head coach refusing to commit to the next minute, let alone the next season. The instability starts and stops with Jim Calhoun, not Warde Manuel. In fact, I'm glad we have an athletic director with the stones to refuse to allow the process to be dictated to him.

this makes sense, the "recruits in question" might not even be uconn recruits, but they can act like they ruled out uconn when they didn't have an offer. having said that, it does feel like calhoun is holding the program hostage a little bit, and you could argue that he has that right.

Reaction Score
I think the golden ticket for Kevin Ollie is to acquire some leverage going forward. That is something that would empower him as a prospective candidate.

One example Rick Majerus is not coaching Saint Louis this year. His contract runs out after next season. Lawrence Biondi and Rick Majerus more or less hate each other. Jim Crews was named interim head coach. If Saint Louis showed interest in Ollie at any juncture in the hiring process that would help Ollie quite a bit with UConn. Even if his name started circulating in various inner circles as a potential candidate it would have impact. That hasn't happened at all that I am aware of.

Honestly if I were KO's agent it would be time for some creative gamesmanship. Nothing to blantant just some subtle maneuvering behind the scenes. Just a little poker playing. Of course poker is a high risk game. Ollie needs to bluff intelligently. Basically sometimes its good strategy to mislead others to think just the opposite of the position you actually have. So if you have perceived weaknesses like Ollie has in lack of experience you need to TRY to keep the other players (Warde & Suzie) terrified in belief that you have all the best cards even if you don't! :cool:

JMHO of course. ...Boneyard Rules

It's already started and Duffy's teaser tweets from yesterday are no longer "anonymous!

http://www.ctpost.com/uconn/article/Recruits-overwhelmingly-like-Ollie-as-part-of-3770197.php

The onus is on JC NOT SH/WM.

Reaction Score
It's already started and Duffy's teaser tweets from yesterday are no longer "anonymous!

http://www.ctpost.com/uconn/article/Recruits-overwhelmingly-like-Ollie-as-part-of-3770197.php

The onus is on JC NOT SH/WM.

I think circumstances have created a perceived out for Calhoun relating to his health and rehab. Jim has made it clear he will play the Dean Smith card at the world series of poker (unless he is bluffing). That card is already on the table per se and there could be more incentive to use it this year (that is arguable). Holding the program hostage? Unethical? Reasonable minds will disagree but the damages are calculated with lost recruits per the article attached above. Coaching contracts (personal service) are structured in such a way to give all coaches not just Jimmy this incredible leverage. Calhoun/Schwartz are poker players though and they have given away free information for all intents and purposes. JC will make his decision when he damn well pleases. The game is also about incomplete information and how different players play their cards. Each player knows some things like their own cards . JC knows what he is going to do even if there is a condition attached relating to his health. Jeff Schwartz is guiding him through the process step by step. Thats what he gets paid the big bucks for.

Learning the another player's style, betting patterns, fears, and techniques can help anyone determine what another player might hold and help fill in the blanks when it comes to the lack of information you have. So far I really like Warde's game. Of course that could change tomorrow but he is a good player. The question becomes will he be a winning player and win the pot.

So looking at the totality of the circumstances in my most humble of opinions of course... is that JC/JS, WM, KO & SH are all technically "players" at the table all with their own hands. Each hand is slightly different and can be played accordingly. It is a fun game and gives us all something to banter about. Its not life or death its college hoops the best game in the world.

Reaction Score
Kevin hasn't coached one game and people want him to be named coach in waiting? UConn should interview all viable candidates and then decide. Why deny Hobbs the right to interview for the position? Kevin is most likely the frontrunner but still should go through the process. He may not be new to UConn basketball but he is new to coaching.

There is a system meant to 'seem' fair in selecting positions for job openings. Many of us have interviewed for a position that was unofficially closed, but still the interview process created a fair scenario. I would be shocked if the University did not open up applications. I would guess that Kevin is not concerned on this issue, as he may have insider info, knows he's qualified, and/or prepared to interview and procure the job. What's so bad about that?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Like how they said only Nixon could go to China, only Fishy could write the above and not get both barrels from the lemmings. Of course, he's 100% correct. People don't realize that JC is doing what he is doing to protect his own personal legacy, not UConn's. Yes there is some overlap, fortunately. But is he was as committed to UConn as some claim he would be out there talking about the injustice done to UConn. Instead, he's left that to others. The best thing for UConn would be for him to step aside now and let the program move on. Does anyone here actually believe that this sudden pro-Ollie media blitz came out of thin air? And does anyone think that undermining the new AD is good for UConn athletics. I'm reminded of that famous exchange between Dad and Theo in the first ever Cosby Show. Dad says, "I brought you in to this world and I can take you out!" Big laughs. Yes, JC brought us into this world, but he has no right to take us out.

Reaction Score
Again, I really think Calhoun stepping down and letting Ollie take the team as an interim coach next season is the best move. They can tell the recruits that the permanent coach will be selected after this season and that Ollie is a front runner. They can be told that, if he does a great job, as many expect he will, he will get the job. If Calhoun stepped down today I can't see any other option for Manuel. Calhoun has to know that. So he is keeping the program hostage to get Ollie the permanent title versus this scenario. He is being stubborn, as usual. The man is definitely a double-edged sword. On one hand, he could win three championships with far less talent than most of the other "powerhouses". On the other hand, his stubborness and ego have burnt countless bridges and led to some really bad seasons in between those championships.

Reaction Score

I wsas going to like this post, but it goes way beyond just like. This is exactly right on the button and I don't quite understnd why nobody gets this. But I do think it is provides aprime example of why things that happened at Penn State happened...The head coach could act in an unreasonable manner, but nobody had the guts to stand up to him, because the fans and the alumni would scream. Well, im Calhoun has acted childishly, and irresponsibly over the past couple of years. If he wants to coach, just say so. If not, then retire and let the University of Connecticut move on to the next phase of its basketball life. And no Jim, it isn't you who gets to decide who the next coach will be. That is above your paygrade.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But I do think it is provides a prime example of why things that happened at Penn State happened....

Of course, you are correct. But because Paterno's failings were so much worse, many refuse to see the similarities.

Reaction Score
Does anyone here actually believe that this sudden pro-Ollie media blitz came out of thin air?

No, it didn't come out of thin air. But it also isn't the result of Calhoun's influence which, while very far reaching, certainly doesn't extend to the media. In fact, the most recent gusher was written after Dave Borges spent some time talking with Ollie himself.

The bottom line is you'd have a very hard time finding anybody - a recruit, a parent, an NBA guy, an AAU coach, a media member, whoever - who doesn't rave about Ollie's personality and character. No, that doesn't automatically qualify him for a head coaching job, but it certainly helps him in terms of recruiting (which he has already proven he can do and is more than half the battle) as well as changing the public perception of the program, which could use a facelift.

There's one enormous whole in his resume that shouldn't be ignored. And if you guaranteed me right now that Shaka Smart would take the job if offered, I'd say you can't turn him down. But my opinion is that if Ollie had the job he would a) definitely convince players to come to Uconn, b) be an excellent player developer and practice coach, c) be an incredibly positive face of the program, and d) have a tremendous stable of assistant coaches to fill any strategic gaps (and we don't even know for sure that there will be any) as much as possible. If our next coach does those things, we're still a top program.

Reaction Score
Kevin Duffy@KevinRDuffy
Only four said that "coach in waiting" would be deciding factor in choosing #UConn or going elsewhere

Kevin Duffy@KevinRDuffy
Conducted survey among 13 #UConn recruits. 12 said they're more likely to come (or would have been) if Ollie was "coach in waiting."

Tweeted earlier today by Duffy...

On top of this - the column/remarks by Mark Blaudshun today on ajerseyguy.com clearly indicates the heat on the stove has been turned up to boil by the Calhoun camp.

Reaction Score
It's clear that something is in the works behind the scenes, not sure if Calhoun is going to retire and wants Ollie in there as HC or if he is just turning up the pressure to get Ollie named coach in waiting, one thing that's clear whatever is going on it involves Ollie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom