AD manuel impacting recruits because of not naming a "coach in waiting." | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AD manuel impacting recruits because of not naming a "coach in waiting."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
this is a really punk move by Calhoun. sounds like he is basically trying to get his way. I think Manual should accept his resignation, then name Hobbs interim head coach for 2012-13 and go into full search mode after that. Hobbs has at least as good a resume as Ollie, head coaching experience, ranked teams, and people forget that when he was first at UConn he was known as a terrific recruiter too.

Reaction Score
what Dyson is to chief00, Ollie is to freescooter.

Reaction Score
I care about UConn athletics. I really do. I hate to see the program go down hill because of a stunt pulled by Calhoun to get his way. I have no confidence in Kevin Ollie as a head coach now. Maybe in 5 years after he's taken Loyola of maryland to the NCAAs a couple of times, but as of right now, this move has all the makings of a total disaster.
Who is going to be the head coach, Ollie or Calhoun? and what major power has ever replaced a big time coach with a little timer from his staff and been successful? Georgetown? Nope. St johns? Nope again. Indiana? Short term but went in the toilet after Knight's recruits left. Maybe UNC...but Gut barely stayed long enough to count, and he had a million years as Dean's top assistant. These moves almost never work out because they make no sense. Calhoun was going to retire, he should have manned up and done it after the season and let the AD pick his successor. This nonsense he's trying to pull now...I hope if he does leave he gets the hell out of here and fast. here's your gold watch, thanks for the memories, now move to South Carolina and don't bother us again...

Reaction Score
Seems a little harsh. I think he is just blinded by his own success. He is a great coach. He thinks/assumes he is also a great judge of coaches. Maybe he is right, maybe he is wrong. He can harm what he built if he is wrong but he is convinced he is right. That much seems clear.

caw

Reaction Score
I care about UConn athletics. I really do. I hate to see the program go down hill because of a stunt pulled by Calhoun to get his way. I have no confidence in Kevin Ollie as a head coach now. Maybe in 5 years after he's taken Loyola of maryland to the NCAAs a couple of times, but as of right now, this move has all the makings of a total disaster.
Who is going to be the head coach, Ollie or Calhoun? and what major power has ever replaced a big time coach with a little timer from his staff and been successful? Georgetown? Nope. St johns? Nope again. Indiana? Short term but went in the toilet after Knight's recruits left. Maybe UNC...but Gut barely stayed long enough to count, and he had a million years as Dean's top assistant. These moves almost never work out because they make no sense. Calhoun was going to retire, he should have manned up and done it after the season and let the AD pick his successor. This nonsense he's trying to pull now...I hope if he does leave he gets the hell out of here and fast. here's your gold watch, thanks for the memories, now move to South Carolina and don't bother us again...

A better question, to me at least, is what coaches have successfully followed up a legendary coach? What were those coaches credentials beforehand?

I mean you have Rupp, Wooden, Knight, Smith, Thompson, etc. Who actually had a follow-up that matched or surpassed the legend? The closest I can think of is Self taking over for Williams (hardly a legend at the time).

If Ollie is interim head coach, it doesn't mean he will be the full head coach, but it will show whether he has the chops to be the full head coach. I would think this would work out great for you. Either Ollie succeeds (based on expectations) and is worthy of being head coach, or he fails and the national search commences. In a relatively DOA season, this is a great opportunity.

Reaction Score
This coming after Jim Calhoun said for the benefit of the program he would have to make a commitment to returning or retiring back in April shortly after season ended.

The best part is he is just gonna wake up one day and know what he wants to do. That has to be the biggest croc of sh&t I have ever heard come out of his mouth. Calhoun is trying to make a powerplay here with putting Manuel in an uncomfortable decision....no other reason why a decision is just going to come to him days before the start of practice.

Reaction Score
This coming after Jim Calhoun said for the benefit of the program he would have to make a commitment to returning or retiring back in April shortly after season ended.

The best part is he is just gonna wake up one day and know what he wants to do. That has to be the biggest croc of sh&t I have ever heard come out of his mouth. Calhoun is trying to make a powerplay here with putting Manuel in an uncomfortable decision....no other reason why a decision is just going to come to him days before the start of practice.
Precisely. Now I'll concede that the fall might have caused him to re-evaluate, but he doesn't have to wait until the start of practice to make the decision he promised in April, then June. this is about his ego which he seems to care more about than the program he built.

Reaction Score
To those bashing Calhoun, what would your stance be if (and this is purely hypothetical) Manuel has been intimately involved this entire time? In other words, what if Calhoun told Manuel months ago that he was willing to retire now if Ollie is given the job but if Manuel wants a national search, Calhoun would coach for the remainder of his contract?

Reaction Score
I wonder if they are stressing out abt this as much as the boneYard is ....

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I wsas going to like this post, but it goes way beyond just like. This is exactly right on the button and I don't quite understnd why nobody gets this. But I do think it is provides aprime example of why things that happened at Penn State happened...The head coach could act in an unreasonable manner, but nobody had the guts to stand up to him, because the fans and the alumni would scream. Well, im Calhoun has acted childishly, and irresponsibly over the past couple of years. If he wants to coach, just say so. If not, then retire and let the University of Connecticut move on to the next phase of its basketball life. And no Jim, it isn't you who gets to decide who the next coach will be. That is above your paygrade.
But obviously not above yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01