AD David Benedict Hinting At Big News In The Near Future | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AD David Benedict Hinting At Big News In The Near Future

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Hedgie and alum Tony Rizza ponied up big time coin for soccer facilities.
That has to ensure Pretty sweet digs, no?

Reaction Score
Hedgie and alum Tony Rizza ponied up big time coin for soccer facilities.
That has to ensure Pretty sweet digs, no?

Rizza pledged $5 million to match donations for the facility and two years before that he gave $3 million for the project. Have they received $5MM in donations for the soccer facility?

Reaction Score
Unless the facilities are for football and/or hockey then it doesn't matter. BTW, if Hockey East sees UCONN building facilities other than a hockey rink (condition of acceptance into the league), does that mean they will be kicking the program out of Hockey East?

Reaction Score
Fitting that we announce a new baseball stadium is moving forward on a night where Springer will win MVP of the WS and a playoff season where UConn will put the third most players into the MLB playoff rosters out of all colleges

Reaction Score
If true, that is very impressive. Too bad college baseball starts in mid February. It's a sport that the NE teams could do very well in and draw larger crowds than a lot of southern schools. 3rd most, I really love that fact!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
If true, that is very impressive. Too bad college baseball starts in mid February. It's a sport that the NE teams could do very well in and draw larger crowds than a lot of southern schools. 3rd most, I really love that fact!
Do the ACC southern teams mind coming to Boston in early April? You guys have a plowable turf field up there right?

Reaction Score
Where is all this money coming from?

State credit card:

"The proposal has passed and will be funded by bonds issued in March 2018 which the school will eventually repay. The rec center will be repaid by student fees while the athletic facilities will be repaid by a combination of private donations and ticket revenue. The bonds are authorized by the UConn 2000 Act which has been a cornerstone of the flagship university’s improvement over the past few decades."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Where is all this money coming from?
Bonding in the near term. I vaguely remember one of the building campaigns pre-authorized that. In the long term, I don't know.

Remember that only @$60M is for "stadia." The rest is for general use university projects, in particular the new rec center.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

SEC, ACC and some Big12 programs draw baseball like Hockey East does for hockey. It's a regional thing. Most ACC and SEC baseball stadiums are AA or AAA quality. 5-7k fans is the norm.

Reaction Score
Agreed. UConn has found that you can't to get into a P-5 conference with athletic facilities that are of high school quality that P-5 conference teams would be embarrassed to play on. It's time to improve the total package of facilities like Louisville did before they got their ACC invite.

Feedback I got at the time is that the overall facility roadmap was a factor in Louisville getting the nod. They had just spent north of $200M on all of their secondary facilities.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't it make more sense to put that soccer stadium where the football practice field is located, and move the football practice area just outside the door of the Scheck?

Reaction Score
Wouldn't it make more sense to put that soccer stadium where the football practice field is located, and move the football practice area just outside the door of the Scheck?

It was mentioned that the outdoor football practice field footprint wasn't big enough for the new Rizza-Morrone complex/soccer practice field without talking out Lot D (parking is a premium) and the plan is for Soccer, Baseball/Softball to share the Athletic Trainer/Strength & Conditioning space that will be built into the new soccer stadium.

Reaction Score
BTW, if Hockey East sees UCONN building facilities other than a hockey rink (condition of acceptance into the league), does that mean they will be kicking the program out of Hockey East?
It's called managing expectations. HE is well aware of the difficulty of getting CAPEX in this environment, they are also well aware of what the plan is, and they are OK with the XL as an interim solution because they like gate that UConn gets there. Personally I am happy with the food and drink choices at the XL, some of which will not be available at an on-campus facility.

Reaction Score
That tweet this morning wasn’t targeted to any single fan base. He is the Athletic Director for all sports/teams. Why should other student athlete get shunted? I’m sure the Soccer/Baseball/Softball and maybe Hockey teams/fans are excited tonight.
More specifically, I'm sure he isn't talking to the boneyard!

Reaction Score
"The proposal has passed and will be funded by bonds issued in March 2018 which the school will eventually repay. The rec center will be repaid by student fees while the athletic facilities will be repaid by a combination of private donations and ticket revenue. The bonds are authorized by the UConn 2000 Act which has been a cornerstone of the flagship university’s improvement over the past few decades."
The bold print and underlined information is pretty clear.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
They need lights and turf for a new baseball field. It gets dark at 6 o’clock for half their season and the first handful of games are usually cancelled because of snow on the field. When they play off campus (New Britain, Norwich, Hartford) they draw pretty well but no one is going to Storrs to sit in crappy bleachers for a 1 o’clock game in April. Making the field a destination will help a lot.

Reaction Score
does that mean they will be kicking the program out of Hockey East?
No, UConn will not be kicked out of Hockey East. The only scenario where that would become even a consideration is if XL completely shuts down and UConn is forced to play in Freitas, but the school makes no progress/has no interest in building a new facility. Hockey East is fine with using XL moving forward. Though they'd like a new arena, XL is a feasible option from a longer-term perspective. Hockey East would not be OK if UConn makes it clear they want to play in Freitas for the next 10 years were XL to shut down. I also don't think UConn would ever get itself into that situation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom