AD David Benedict candidate at ASU for Athletic Director Job | Page 4 | The Boneyard

AD David Benedict candidate at ASU for Athletic Director Job

Reaction Score
The ACC requires 75% of schools to approve new members. BC had at least 3 other schools in their pocket. That is enough. Whether it was a quid pro quo or some other behind the scenes deal, it was public knowledge that UConn never would never get the votes due to BC's resistance and their sway over the 3 other schools. I do not recall which schools. I believe Duke and UNC were actually in favor of UConn joining.
The thought that BC had other schools “in its pocket” [I’ll fix your grammar for you and still use quotes] is unbelievably absurd. What BC had was other schools that wanted to vote the same way for other reasons.

Reaction Score
when you're in a poverty church league (mid-major) the real conferences like the Big 12 (power) will be trying to take your stuff.

hope it works out for the huskies bros! hate that the little guys have to deal with this!
At least we still win NCs.

Reaction Score
I’m increasingly comfortable in the church league. It’s fun and the fans like it. The B12 isn’t in our region and it doesn’t thrive in football. It’s a subpar football league going forward. It has good basketball, but it isn’t basketball that our fans are passionate about.

You can sling all the insults you want, but I’m no longer very interested in the B12. It isn’t the answer for anyone, it’s a bandaid.
We cannot ever get comfortable in this attractive halfway house.

Reaction Score
when you're in a poverty church league (mid-major) the real conferences like the Big 12 (power) will be trying to take your stuff.

hope it works out for the huskies bros! hate that the little guys have to deal with this!
While it is probably nice to be in a P4 conference, it doesn't make fans happy when your program is similar to a team like Boston College. You know, losing and just milking a conference for money. We at UConn are just happy to win championships.

Do these standings look familiar to you? :p

Reaction Score
Dave's been super visible and seems open to suggestions and approachable, which is a departure from prior ADs, so he scores points for that.

Hurley is a home run, and I think Mora (if he has the stomach for it) will continue bringing football in the right direction.

The conference stuff by and large is out of his hands.

He's done well, but we'd find someone else.
True. I spoke with him twice at ecu games. The bouknight alley vs Tristan and the year before. That previous year was funny as he was booking a flight back to CT but told me “ things will be getting better very soon”.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The thought that BC had other schools “in its pocket” [I’ll fix your grammar for you and still use quotes] is unbelievably absurd. What BC had was other schools that wanted to vote the same way for other reasons.
Exactly. The sourthern football culture schools didn’t want a New England basketball school to tilt the balance of power.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To paraphrase the great Jim Calhoun "it's been taught about it's been written about…"

No one thinks that BCU was in control of the ACC, but what they were able to do is indicate a preference not to have Connecticut join the ACC because "(BCU) wanted to be the New England team." Since ESPN didn't stand up for us and instead indicated that it would pay a full share, plus a premium for other members, for Pittsburgh to join in our stead that's what happened.

I could post the links, but I know you've seen them posted here dozens of times, as have I.

Reaction Score
The positive is that he has brought in talented coaches.

The negatives:
  • he cost the university an extra $3 million in the way he handled Ollie's firing.
  • He screwed over a lot of long time season ticket holders by changing the season ticket model and then changing price tiers 2-3 years after implementing the new model.

I think we'll survive if he leaves as long as the new AD gets Hurley's seal of approval.
Honestly I haven't thought about the bait and switch followed by the price gouging in some time...

Last season was an amazing run, I love my lower bowl gampel seats that I had to stretch my budget to keep. And the final four and championship experience was insane.

Followed by another strong team that is taking everyone's best shot and still holding the #1 rank.

Just my experience. They believed in the product they were putting on the floor behind Hurley and his ability to recruit and build a team. They trusted in their market research on ticket price points and enough of us decided to fork over the money that they were asking for

Reaction Score
Calhoun "fired" 2 AD's, Turner and Hathaway. Hurley and Mora will have alot to say should DB leave, especially Hurley.

Lol at Mora having a say.

Reaction Score

Bottom dweller of the Big 14, rejoice!

Reaction Score
His first order of business may be to fire Bobby Hurley?

Reaction Score
The KO situation was woefully mishandled, but to be fair to Benedict he was following the advice of outside counsel.
Many chiming in on this topic would have a hard time spelling ... law...
Calhoun "fired" 2 AD's, Turner and Hathaway. Hurley and Mora will have a lot to say should DB leave, especially Hurley.
Let's give some well due credit to Randy on the Hathaway situation also. At a meet and greet upstairs @ Rentschler I personally got to witness him call out and point to Hathaway sitting in the front row. This in front of a few hundred fans.
Ask him! He shouted with spittle flying and pointing to Hathaway sitting in the front row. This was in response to to a question from a fan on why Randy could not get more money to keep assistants.
Randy was never comfortable with a microphone / public speaking but he had Hathaway beet red on that evening. Obviously not a fan of his boss.

Reaction Score

Hey little bro, when was the last time you saw the second weekend again? Was that 2 or 3 UConn championships ago?

Reaction Score

Nobody taking these tho
IMG_3389.gif

Reaction Score
I wouldn't want to lose Dave, but if he wants to go we should all wish him luck. He did a good job getting UConn out of the AAC and hiring Hurley and there has been progress on athletic facilities. There are some up and downs with many sports, but that is probably going to happen under any AD.

My only frustration with Dave is that he was late to effectively communicate to the fan base/boosters about the importance of football and asking for more financial support. What has held him back from getting P5 jobs in the past has been the poor performance of UConn football as football is the number 1 priority at P5 schools. I have thought that once he turned around UConn football (it's just starting), he would leave for a P5 job.

Reaction Score

With any luck the Big 12 will get rid of some of the dead weight at the bottom of the standings. I’m not 100% sure how these power conferences work, but is being 11th in the Big 12 considered good?

Reaction Score
Why would that be a laughing matter?

He’s been in here for like 2 mins, complained all last season, the team was terrible and he will 100% jump to a better job as soon as he can. Imo

Reaction Score
With any luck the Big 12 will get rid of some of the dead weight at the bottom of the standings. I’m not 100% sure how these power conferences work, but is being 11th in the Big 12 considered good?
In most years yeah. Last year the Big 10 had 14 teams and the 11th team was Wisconsin who was on the bubble and narrowly missed getting in

Reaction Score
In most years yeah. Last year the Big 10 had 14 teams and the 11th team was Wisconsin who was on the bubble and narrowly missed getting in
Sometimes it’s not about being right, it’s about making fun of Cincinnati

Reaction Score
While it is probably nice to be in a P4 conference, it doesn't make fans happy when your program is similar to a team like Boston College. You know, losing and just milking a conference for money. We at UConn are just happy to win championships.

Do these standings look familiar to you? :p

And just a reminder to those looking at the B12 standings: Oklahoma and Texas are mirages.

Reaction Score
He’s been in here for like 2 mins, complained all last season, the team was terrible and he will 100% jump to a better job as soon as he can. Imo
Regardless, he's the head of the football program, ergo he 100% needs to have a voice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom