AD David Benedict candidate at ASU for Athletic Director Job | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AD David Benedict candidate at ASU for Athletic Director Job

Reaction Score
Hard to ignore UConn’s overall more successful athletic department, but can acknowledge Benedict’s an Arizona native (or, at least graduated from a directional
Arizona school), he previously worked in ASU’s athletic dept, ASU’s budget is reportedly larger, P4 conference membership, likely higher AD compensation, etc.

Setting aside the above, Benedict’s purportedly unsuccessfully pursued other P4 jobs, and few people in most organizations are irreplaceable. If he goes, he goes, UConn would attract quality applicants, and an injection of new blood, motivation, P4 and fundraising experience, and energy may not be the worst scenario.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I dislike this quite a lot. More proof that we have to get into a legit P conference somehow. Hope we can retain AD Dave, he's been a strong AD and ambassador for the school. Any successor will probably be a downgrade.

Reaction Score
Maybe, I don't really think BC has ever had that much sway. I think AD DB would have done more to really get Tobacco Road on board to convince everyone else because their opinions mean a lot more than lowly BC.
The ACC requires 75% of schools to approve new members. BC had at least 3 other schools in their pocket. That is enough. Whether it was a quid pro quo or some other behind the scenes deal, it was public knowledge that UConn never would never get the votes due to BC's resistance and their sway over the 3 other schools. I do not recall which schools. I believe Duke and UNC were actually in favor of UConn joining.

Reaction Score
The ACC requires 75% of schools to approve new members. BC had at least 3 other schools in their pocket. That is enough. Whether it was a quid pro quo or some other behind the scenes deal, it was public knowledge that UConn never would never get the votes due to BC's resistance and their sway over the 3 other schools. I do not recall which schools. I believe Duke and UNC were actually in favor of UConn joining.
I seem to remember FSU and some other big football schools being against it. Probably to piss off the basketball centric conference.

Reaction Score
AD'S at state schools do not have as much power S most people think. Any coaching hires, conference realignment, coaches contracts etc have to be approved by the board of trustees. So one of the necessary traits is being a good salesman aka bs artist to sell these things to the BOT.

Reaction Score
The much, much, much bigger issue than either of these is the optics of a nothing school like Arizona State being perceived as a step up from UConn
Who is the audience for which these optics are a big issue? Everyone in that industry already knows a P5 AD job is bigger than the UConn AD job. This would change literally nothing optically.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Here's an easy way to determine if you like or hate Benedict:

Are you happy with our current men's head basketball coach? How you answer that question should be applied to how you feel about Benedict.

For the record, DB put his neck on the line and basically defied the board of trustees to hire Dan Hurley when he did because a) he knew if he didn't act, Hurley would land at Pitt and would be forever out of reach as a coach here and b) he believed Hurley was too good to miss out on and if we wanted to restore the program we needed him.

The noise and embarrassment that followed with Ollie was entirely due to the board's refusal to dismiss Ollie under the terms of his contract and to boot, the board decided to punish the entire athletic department for a few years because they weren't happy that DB would not wait the year for KO's buyout to drop.
Can one be anymore simplistic?
If that's your barometer............................................:eek::oops::mad:
He has screwed up more than he has done good
He didn't hire DH - Calhoun did

The rumors about DH going to Pitt were/are utter nonsense and BS

caw

Reaction Score
I guess he wants to experience being the boss of both Hurley brothers in his life?

Reaction Score
I don’t think he’s going anywhere. Leverage.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
AD'S at state schools do not have as much power S most people think. Any coaching hires, conference realignment, coaches contracts etc have to be approved by the board of trustees. So one of the necessary traits is being a good salesman aka bs artist to sell these things to the BOT.
This is why it's important to not get a good salesman that has bad ideas. I don't know how good of a salesman Benedict is but I think he has good ideas and genuinely has the best interests of the university in mind.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
when you're in a poverty church league (mid-major) the real conferences like the Big 12 (power) will be trying to take your stuff.

hope it works out for the huskies bros! hate that the little guys have to deal with this!

Reaction Score
when you're in a poverty church league (mid-major) the real conferences like the Big 12 (power) will be trying to take your stuff.

hope it works out for the huskies bros! hate that the little guys have to deal with this!
I’m increasingly comfortable in the church league. It’s fun and the fans like it. The B12 isn’t in our region and it doesn’t thrive in football. It’s a subpar football league going forward. It has good basketball, but it isn’t basketball that our fans are passionate about.

You can sling all the insults you want, but I’m no longer very interested in the B12. It isn’t the answer for anyone, it’s a bandaid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom