AD Dave's Contract Restructured... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AD Dave's Contract Restructured...

Reaction Score
We think FBS football is a huge financial drain and FCS isn't?
Much less. Starting with fewer rides. Less travel. Less staff. No hot water in the showers. (That last was a joke, but friends of mine who played back in the day at UConn always seem to say that when comparing to today.)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Much less. Starting with fewer rides. Less travel. Less staff. No hot water in the showers. (That last was a joke, but friends of mine who played back in the day at UConn always seem to say that when comparing to today.)

I don't see any upside in fielding a FCS team.

It's bad enough now to have 10,000 people show up vs. AAC opponents when our games are at least meaningful enough to be on an ESPN Network.

Playing New Hampshire and Maine? Forget about it.

Reaction Score
I don't see any upside in fielding a FCS team.

It's bad enough now to have 10,000 people show up vs. AAC opponents when our games are at least meaningful enough to be on an ESPN Network.

Playing New Hampshire and Maine? Forget about it.

fuhgettaboutit*

#newyorkscollegeteam

Reaction Score
I think its totally possible. UConn hasn't been talking to the Big East for no reason.
Reports of Big East discussions were some time ago. Is there anything out there that says discussions have recently resurfaced?

Reaction Score
They have tremendous state of the art production and uplink facilities sitting idle in Hartford called Back9..... In fact, UConn could leverage into a whole sports entertainment and broadcasting department and use some of the talent cast off from ESPN to create something uniquely special.
Outside the box after the Back 9 golf lifestyle channel went into bankruptcy owing the state of CT $5 million, but the mothballed facilities & some jettisoned ESPN are likely available.

Reaction Score
Would be a death sentence....currently only 4: ND, Army, UMass & Brigham Young. If it worked, there would be more....
Just ask UMass how life as a football independent works out scheduling wise. If UConn dropped out of the AAC, UMass would love to take up the vacancy in a heartbeat. Imagine the scheduling nightmare: Army, Brigham Young, FCS, & hope for the best. The Huskies will be signing up 1-offs with P-5 giants on the road with no return game, something HCRE version 1 vowed never to do. Enjoy your best case scenario 2 home game season in that event.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If anyone at UConn in ‘leadership’ thinks moving basketball to the Big East and playing independent football is a viable plan they should be fired yesterday.

I love how people keep getting raises and extensions and all that happens is more losses pile up.

Reaction Score
There is no going back to FCS, UConn will be fielding an FBS team for the foreseeable future. Randy Edsall, Rhett Lashlee and most of all Dave Benedict were not hired to coach or oversee an athletic department with an FCS or club football team, nor would have Disastro's contract been bought out and Benedict been given the green light to fire his @..as if there was sentiment in the administration and the BOT to cut football. Going the independent route would be really tough, more likely might be the AAC in football only and all other sports go to the Big East. Quite frankly I'm more worried about the condition and direction the men's basketball program is going in than the football team.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
AD David Benedict *picks up phone*
Hi AAC - Dave Benedict here. We think it would be quite cracking if you let us be a football only.

AAC *uproarious laughter for 20 minutes*

<click>

AD David Benedict: Hello? Hello?

Reaction Score
Hi AAC - Dave Benedict here. We think it would be quite cracking if you let us be a football only.

<click>

Stop it man. You're gonna hurt peoples feelings with truth.

Reaction Score
The UConn Prez & AD are making the big bucks. They need to be the ones who work this out. Lot's of snippets in the info released about the AD's restructured contract & from folks here who allude to insights about big plans (hopefully no illusions); needs to get kicking fast before the Nike brand turns into a Keds brand. We can speculate & hope all we want, they are the doers. Right now we are a significantly wounded brand. We need more than a bandaid.

Reaction Score
It's American (or the P5 dream) or no football.

We think FBS football is a huge financial drain and FCS isn't?
Great point. The stadium and facilities don't magically shrink to midsize. You drop your total number of scholarships but those aren't real dollars expended anyways. Insurance doesn't decrease, equipment doesn't increase, maintenance, medical, doesn't decrease. You might save a few bucks by ground travel, but its fools gold thinking there are big savings.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

<click>

Seems like lately you stick around for a year or two you get a nice raise or ridiculous buy out.

Warde, Ollie, Diaco, now AD Dave.

At least KO won a damn title.

How being an AD is $500k/year job is beyond me.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Seems like lately you stick around for a year or two you get a nice raise or ridiculous buy out.

Warde, Ollie, Diaco, now AD Dave.

At least KO won a damn title.

How being an AD is $500k/year job is beyond me.

They get paid for two things. Raising money and hiring coaches.

I don’t see the books so I have no idea how he does by that metric.

Susan with one of her usual clueless statements. Can’t imagine UConn without him. Yeah he’s been here a whole 20 months. It’s impossible to consider.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
They get paid for two things. Raising money and hiring coaches.

I don’t see the books so I have no idea how he does by that metric.

Susan with one of her usual clueless statements. Can’t imagine UConn without him. Yeah he’s been here a whole 20 months. It’s impossible to consider.

And on hiring coaches they have the distinct honor of working with "search firms" to conduct nationwide canvassing. As if the AD can't email any agent in the USA and get in contact someone's people immediately.

As for fundraising you're right it's tough to tell. He sure as hell isn't selling any tickets.

Basically the guy sends out a few tweets and seems to care and that makes him a half a million dollar man?

Also to your point I wish Susan would never comment on athletics ever again. Cringeworthy.

Reaction Score
And on hiring coaches they have the distinct honor of working with "search firms" to conduct nationwide canvassing. As if the AD can't email any agent in the USA and get in contact someone's people immediately.

As for fundraising you're right it's tough to tell. He sure as hell isn't selling any tickets.

Basically the guy sends out a few tweets and seems to care and that makes him a half a million dollar man?

Also to your point I wish Susan would never comment on athletics ever again. Cringeworthy.
Compared to the last dolt asleep on the job, I'd gladly pay him that. He's going to earn his money getting rid of KO and bringing in somebody that will salvage men's BB. I hope to hell they have Hurley in their sites. He also has the background gravitas to attack the CR problem which becomes the longer term existential challenge. Finally, If Football isn't fixed then nothing gets fixed. I'm suprised Crocker is still around and they haven't gone out and paid up for a real D.C. with proven ability to do the job at an FBS level. There is a lot to do to save the patient and need an AD willing to make the tough calls and take action.

Reaction Score
Compared to the last dolt asleep on the job, I'd gladly pay him that. He's going to earn his money getting rid of KO and bringing in somebody that will salvage men's BB. I hope to hell they have Hurley in their sites. He also has the background gravitas to attack the CR problem which becomes the longer term existential challenge. Finally, If Football isn't fixed then nothing gets fixed. I'm suprised Crocker is still around and they haven't gone out and paid up for a real D.C. with proven ability to do the job at an FBS level. There is a lot to do to save the patient and need an AD willing to make the tough calls and take action.
Agreed, but they obviously see something in Crocker. I dont see it but thats why I dont make 500k a year. HCRE has a lot to lose if he fails. Trust the process lol

Reaction Score
There is no going back to FCS, UConn will be fielding an FBS team for the foreseeable future. Randy Edsall, Rhett Lashlee and most of all Dave Benedict were not hired to coach or oversee an athletic department with an FCS or club football team, nor would have Disastro's contract been bought out and Benedict been given the green light to fire his @..as if there was sentiment in the administration and the BOT to cut football. Going the independent route would be really tough, more likely might be the AAC in football only and all other sports go to the Big East. Quite frankly I'm more worried about the condition and direction the men's basketball program is going in than the football team.
You will be thinking a bit differently if they go four more years without getting to 6-6 on a regular basis. The legislature will start giving the U admin help with their jobs, believe me. This thing is teetering right now although the recruits for next year look on the surface to be a definite upgrade and I think they have definite potential for a rebound.

Reaction Score
Agreed, but they obviously see something in Crocker. I dont see it but thats why I dont make 500k a year. HCRE has a lot to lose if he fails. Trust the process lol

Agree with the Crocker thought. HCRE is committed to this defensive scheme. They now need to go out & get the type of players who can play it. I am friends with a D3 head coach in the region that has told me that the regime prior to HCRE brought kids in on scholarship that they looked at & determined they couldn't play for their program on the D3 level.

Last edited:

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
I really don't understand the "Stay in the American in all sports" people. You guys realize nobody in the country respects the conference right? Half the country doesn't even know it exists and thinks we are still in the Big East. All it has done is destroy our brand.

Going independent in Football would not be the worst move. Play half of the games against regional rivals (umass, maine, bc, URI, etc) and then schedule four power-5 games. If anything we should try and partner with Notre Dame to play them once a year. Projection to the ACC.

It would make us unique. AAC is destroying our fanbase, product and brand.

Reaction Score
I really don't understand the "Stay in the American in all sports" people. You guys realize nobody in the country respects the conference right? Half the country doesn't even know it exists and thinks we are still in the Big East. All it has done is destroy our brand.

Going independent in Football would not be the worst move. Play half of the games against regional rivals (umass, maine, bc, URI, etc) and then schedule four power-5 games. If anything we should try and partner with Notre Dame to play them once a year. Projection to the ACC.

What's destroying the fan base are losing records and bad coaching hires. Pasqualoni and Diaco were horrible hires...yet if you know football at all you will realize that the quality of football in the AC os much better overall than the of the BE. Ollie shows game after game that he is in way over his head..and he is paid as well as any top 10 coach in the country. Cincy and SMU don't seem to have a problem making the tournament...and are in the same situation. Independence in football is NOT the answer what so ever! You think it's easy getting games and filling out a indy schedule...yeah not so much. Benedict has made the right football hire in Edsall..and I trust that he will make the same change in hoops.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

It hurts our brand so much that half the people still think we're in the Big East - let's keep the gig going!

Independent football would be a horrible move. And by suggesting we schedule four power 5 games a year (as if we're not currently attempting to do that) further states your ignorance on the subject.

Reaction Score
Agree with the Crocker thought. HCRE is committed to this defensive scheme. They now need to go out & get the type of players who can play it. I am friends with a D3 head coach in the region that has told me that the regime prior to HCRE brought kids on scholarship that they looked at & determined they couldn't play for their program on the D3 level.

Yikes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom