AD Dave's Contract Restructured... | The Boneyard

AD Dave's Contract Restructured...

Reaction Score
When asked about conference realignment he mentioned the possibility of “independent model with a regionalized concept “. That’s the possible SNY football deal I’ve mentioned before. It will be held over the American’s head when the next deal is constructed.

Reaction Score
This is good for UConn to be able to reconstruct his contract. I see us staying in aac in football but moving other sports into a different conference. AAC football can be a new conference that is always competing and gain more fans.
UConn in the AAC for football only won't happen. This has been discussed ad nauseum.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
This is good for UConn to be able to reconstruct his contract. I see us staying in aac in football but moving other sports into a different conference. AAC football can be a new conference that is always competing and gain more fans.

That's not happening but people do seem enthusiastic about the AAC going forward for some reason so might as well stick it out unless some great opportunity comes along

Reaction Score
UConn in the AAC for football only won't happen. This has been discussed ad nauseum.

Never say never. No one knows what’s going to happen. I just hope the best possibilities will be thrown out there to help out football. Football brings in a lot of money we need to set the program up for success

Reaction Score
I don't think leaving football in AAC & moving the other sports to another conference will happen, nor would that benefit UConn long term, The solutions to survive is for AD Dave to somehow posture us to get into a P5 or the AAC somehow develops for the P5 to become a P6. I think it's still a possibility that the P5 as we now know it turns into a P4 with 4 sixteen school leagues. There many folks who project the Big 12 is the league that gets absorbed into the others. ND & the current Big East are the wild cards in this. AD Dave has to figure out a way for UConn to be a player in this. Unless something drastically changes, football in the P5 conferences is still the driving force-how much do they really care about the non-P5 leagues? The NCAA will still let the P5's be the driving force; the NCAA does not want to lose those schools; that's why P5 schools votes are each worth 2 votes when it comes to voting on NCAA issues. While our 4 & 11 national championships respectively mean a lot to us, how much do they really mean to the P5 blokes?

Reaction Score
We are going to parlay being the only school in the AAC with an opportunity for an independent TV deal with a network (SNY) into a better deal with the AAC. If we can’t, we’ll move to the Big East and SNY. The football schedule will be a regional slate and a mix of money games, 2 for 1’s etc. We will not continue to accept being valued with other AAC schools. The only way we stay AAC and don’t even blink is if the deal the conference gets is surprisingly good. Even then we will be looking for an exception for Tier 3 rights. Dave’s quotes totally confirmed what I’ve heard from a great source.

Reaction Score
I don't think leaving football in AAC & moving the other sports to another conference will happen, nor would that benefit UConn long term, The solutions to survive is for AD Dave to somehow posture us to get into a P5 or the AAC somehow develops for the P5 to become a P6. I think it's still a possibility that the P5 as we now know it turns into a P4 with 4 sixteen school leagues. There many folks who project the Big 12 is the league that gets absorbed into the others. ND & the current Big East are the wild cards in this. AD Dave has to figure out a way for UConn to be a player in this. Unless something drastically changes, football in the P5 conferences is still the driving force-how much do they really care about the non-P5 leagues? The NCAA will still let the P5's be the driving force; the NCAA does not want to lose those schools; that's why P5 schools votes are each worth 2 votes when it comes to voting on NCAA issues. While our 4 & 11 national championships respectively mean a lot to us, how much do they really mean to the P5 blokes?

I really hope that we do get into a P5 conference. Until our football can evolve we are staying put. That’s why I think David’s contract was restructured because he will make this school into a power house once again.

Reaction Score
We are going to parlay being the only school in the AAC with an opportunity for an independent TV deal with a network (SNY) into a better deal with the AAC. If we can’t, we’ll move to the Big East and SNY. The football schedule will be a regional slate and a mix of money games, 2 for 1’s etc. We will not continue to accept being valued with other AAC schools. The only way we stay AAC and don’t even blink is if the deal the conference gets is surprisingly good. Even then we will be looking for an exception for Tier 3 rights. Dave’s quotes totally confirmed what I’ve heard from a great source.

I have heard from multiple reports that we will move to independent football would we really benefit from that. What are the big plans going forward.

DAC17

Once upon a time, would never miss a game
Reaction Score
My question would be: How long can UConn stick it out with expensive football and basketball programs, before the budget deficits swallow up the football team? I'm guessing not for 5 years. With 10,000 fans in the seats for football, it will be hard to justify the cost.

Reaction Score
When Benedict arrived in March 2016 he took less than the market indicated. Yes, he came from SEC Auburn, yet he also hadn’t been an athletic director. Of the universities providing public information, Benedict’s salary has been in the bottom third in the AAC. At $79 million last year, UConn also easily had the biggest athletic budget.

While it is fair to say every dollar is being challenged in the state’s current climate, it is fairer to say that his new deal is more commensurate with his position. His base salary is being increased from $450,000 to $550,000. Potential bonus compensation was knocked down from $100,000 to $50,000 a year. If Benedict remains continuously employed through the end of his contract in 2021, he will receive total deferred compensation of $500,000, up from $250,000. The length of the deal remains the same.

Reaction Score
My question would be: How long can UConn stick it out with expensive football and basketball programs, before the budget deficits swallow up the football team? I'm guessing not for 5 years. With 10,000 fans in the seats for football, it will be hard to justify the cost.

Fund raising is one of the AD's primary responsibilities these days, fund raising is much more than putting fannies in the seats. He didn't get a 100k a year raise to just go to games. Getting the conference thing squared away which is a big thing. Many, many folks will be questioning his raise given the budget issues (while not wanting to understand that much of his salary is coming through The Foundation). He can't just take the fork in the road....he needs to take the correct leg.

Reaction Score
When asked about conference realignment he mentioned the possibility of “independent model with a regionalized concept “. That’s the possible SNY football deal I’ve mentioned before. It will be held over the American’s head when the next deal is constructed.
The cable box model which drove CR several years back is on life support and the big TV P5 money is not going to last forever. This helps allow UConn do a streaming based regional independent model as part of an SNY deal. UConn would though have to make an investment in Uconn's production and uplink facilities.

Reaction Score
The cable box model which drove CR several years back is on life support and the big TV P5 money is not going to last forever. This helps allow UConn do a streaming based regional independent model as part of an SNY deal. UConn would though have to make an investment in Uconn's production and uplink facilities.
They have tremendous state of the art production and uplink facilities sitting idle in Hartford called Back9..... In fact, UConn could leverage into a whole sports entertainment and broadcasting department and use some of the talent cast off from ESPN to create something uniquely special. But, somebody has to be able to think outside a paper bag.

Reaction Score
UConn Football will NOT benefit with moving to Independant status.
Agreed. Going back to FCS is more likely if FB starts to become a huge financial drain rather than the opposite.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom