AD Benedict Holds Out Hope That USF-UConn Football Game Can Be Rescheduled (Jacobs) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AD Benedict Holds Out Hope That USF-UConn Football Game Can Be Rescheduled (Jacobs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If I'm USF why would I want to play this game? Regardless of whether they would be favored, why risk it? It could snow in Tampa some day and the team might have to land in Sarasota and bus back to campus. And you probably know highways are more dangerous than flying.

But further with only 10 games remaining there are only 10 potential losses. Why risk going on the road? Just play the remaining games and hope you win. If some MAC team goes 12-0 you're screwed anyway and if you go 11-0 or 10-1 you can push for the sympathy vote. "We were in a cat 5 hurricane and needed our players to fight it off. You surely aren't going to penalize us for that."

Reaction Score
I know I must be missing something, but it seems like the easiest thing to me would be to push the league championship game forward a week and play the missed games on 12/2.

No one is suggesting this, however, so there probably an impediment that I don't see.

Well, I just suggested that they play the same day as Army and Navy - but I forgot this FUBAR league actually has a championship game now. This is a better solution and if Navy is supposed to play in the title game? Army Navy takes precedence - so somebody else gets to play another game. Win all around.

Reaction Score
If I'm USF why would I want to play this game? Regardless of whether they would be favored, why risk it? It could snow in Tampa some day and the team might have to land in Sarasota and bus back to campus. And you probably know highways are more dangerous than flying.

But further with only 10 games remaining there are only 10 potential losses. Why risk going on the road? Just play the remaining games and hope you win. If some MAC team goes 12-0 you're screwed anyway and if you go 11-0 or 10-1 you can push for the sympathy vote. "We were in a cat 5 hurricane and needed our players to fight it off. You surely aren't going to penalize us for that."
The reason USF pushes for this game is the case that a team from the East Division will go to the AAC Championship game ahead of them even if they have a the same number of losses. Just as an example...

Cincinnati 7-1
USF 6-1

USF is out.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
The reason USF pushes for this game is the case that a team from the East Division will go to the AAC Championship game ahead of them even if they have a the same number of losses. Just as an example...

Cincinnati 7-1
USF 6-1

USF is out.

I don't know how much USF will care. UCF has missed a conference game, too. Chances are that it wouldn't be Cincy challenging them for the eastern division. The only real threat is UCF, IMO.

C

Chief00

Dave really knows how to use social media. If he pulls this off, he should get lots of credit. He also uses social media to make a case. More on that some other time.

C

Chief00

Cincinnati 7-1
USF 6-1

USF is out.

If USF was pushing rather than being pulled into this make-up game - we wouldn't be waiting Wednesday afternoon for the official word.

C

Chief00

The thing is, they're not. I haven't really seen anything about it except on this board.
In social media perception is reality - Mickey Mouse Conference OR Not

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
So one of the plans I see being floated involves moving two games to days I have previous commitments. I'm gonna have to call up Dave and say to push for the forfeit.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
One of the first bits of info coming out after the cancel announcement was the conference having insurance to cover losses.

Makes you wonder if the insurance company has a series of requirements to be met prior to paying out to the conference or teams. And maybe, just maybe, the insurer is offering suggestions of how the conference may want to juggle the schedule or void the payout.

Reaction Score
In social media perception is reality - Mickey Mouse Conference OR Not
That has nothing to do with what I said. No one on social media made a big deal over the game being canceled. They took it as another cancellation in a flurry of schedule changes caused by the storm. Nothing more.

C

Chief00

That has nothing to do with what I said. No one on social media made a big deal over the game being canceled. They took it as another cancellation in a flurry of schedule changes caused by the storm. Nothing more.
Chief did - do we get results?

Reaction Score
Chief did - do we get results?
If you can find 3 twitter users with 2,000+ followers that gave Aresco or the conference a "beating" over canceling our game, I'll admit you're right.

This would surely be a simple task if Aresco was truly taking the beating on social media that you're suggesting.

Reaction Score
USF would absolutely be itching to play a 12th game if they were undefeated at the end of November but on the outside looking in on a NY6 bowl. It would also not shock me at all if the committee tries to find a way to nullify the required NY6 inclusion if the team did not play a full schedule. I don't know how that would work, but it would not surprise me. Not to mention the previously discussed conference tiebreaker issue.

Reaction Score
USF would absolutely be itching to play a 12th game if they were undefeated at the end of November but on the outside looking in on a NY6 bowl. It would also not shock me at all if the committee tries to find a way to nullify the required NY6 inclusion if the team did not play a full schedule. I don't know how that would work, but it would not surprise me. Not to mention the previously discussed conference tiebreaker issue.

It would surprise me, because that's insane.

Reaction Score
USF isn't going undefeated whether they play 11, 12 or 10 games. They will cough up a hairball along the way

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Heard that folks who work voluntary concessions were contacted to get ready for wknd of 9/23 as we will be playing Memphis.

Is this the scenario?
Oct 6 usf has a bye
9/23uconn has bye.
9/23 memphis has bye
---------------------
9/23 uconn/memphis
10/6 , 7 uconn USF

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
USF isn't going undefeated whether they play 11, 12 or 10 games. They will cough up a hairball along the way

I could see USF losing at home to Ill this weekend.

I would never bet against my team but, if I did, I would be tempted to take Ill and the 17.5 points Vegas is currently giving.

Good luck in your game.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score

Yes they will cough up a hairball... against UConn!

Reaction Score
Heard that folks who work voluntary concessions were contacted to get ready for wknd of 9/23 as we will be playing Memphis.

Is this the scenario?
Oct 6 usf has a bye
9/23uconn has bye.
9/23 memphis has bye
---------------------
9/23 uconn/memphis
10/6 , 7 uconn USF
Either...
A) Concession Volunteers are being asked to work the MLS game that day or
B) MLS has been contacted to move that game as well.

Reaction Score
So will UConn re-issue tickets or will the USF ticket be valid for the Memphis game and Memphis game ticket good for USF?

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Either...
A) Concession Volunteers are being asked to work the MLS game that day or
B) MLS has been contacted to move that game as well.

Taking priority over the MLS game is a Power conference move, fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom