AD Benedict Holds Out Hope That USF-UConn Football Game Can Be Rescheduled (Jacobs) | The Boneyard

AD Benedict Holds Out Hope That USF-UConn Football Game Can Be Rescheduled (Jacobs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe this can stay forward looking and not turn into a rehash of other threads beat to a pulp like the orange groves in Florida.

AD Benedict Holds Out Hope That USF-UConn Football Game Can Be Rescheduled

>>At 1 p.m. Tuesday, Benedict said, "Certainly by [Wednesday], the conference is going to have to make a decision one way or another. They are either going to be able to work through these things or move on. A lot of it has to do with changing travel plans and it's not easy to just say, 'OK, we're going to put this game the following week' when you have charters involved, lots of hotel rooms.

"I will tell you I feel very good about the effort the conference is making in trying to get the game rescheduled. That's the best you can ask for. It's not as simple as we can move this one thing to make it all work. There are a lot of pieces that have to come together. Certainly we don't control a lot of that. They're working through it with our conference members."<<

Reaction Score
Benedict can whine all he wants but this won't be rescheduled.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
This is what would have to happen to get it done:

Step 1 - Pay UMASS to reschedule their Oct 14th game at USF to the week before on Oct 7th. UMass has a bye Oct 7th, so it works out for them and they'd probably move the game if the AAC gives them $300k plus all travel change expenses.

Step 2 - The AAC would have to move 6 different games :
-- UConn at Temple - from 10/14 to 9/21
-- Temple at USF - from 9/21 to 11/24
-- UCF at USF - from 11/24 to 11/16
-- Tulsa at USF - from 11/16 to 11/11
-- Temple at Tulsa - from 11/25 to 11/18
-- Temple at UCF - from 11/18 to 11/11

Note that the underlined dates are ESPN games that will be swapped out--so we will need their buy in as well.

Step 3 - That would open up Saturday 10/14 for the USF at UConn game.

This is what the conference is looking at in order to get the game rescheduled. A lot of moving pieces here. My guess is that they cannot get all partied to agree given all the costs and sacrifices that would have to be made. But that is what it would take in my estimation.

Obviously the decision would have to be made in the next 24 hours, as it would entail making changes to games that are only 8 days away (scheduling the UConn at Temple game for 9/21 and postponing the Temple at USF game for 9/21).

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I know I must be missing something, but it seems like the easiest thing to me would be to push the league championship game forward a week and play the missed games on 12/2.

No one is suggesting this, however, so there probably an impediment that I don't see.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I know I must be missing something, but it seems like the easiest thing to me would be to push the league championship game forward a week and play the missed games on 12/2.

No one is suggesting this, however, so there probably an impediment that I don't see.

Impediment #1 is the Army v Navy game on 12/9 (the week you recommend moving the Championship game to)
Impediment #2 is that the bowl selections are made prior to 12/9--so would be a barrier for AAC bowls

Reaction Score

Step 1 - Pay UMASS to reschedule their Oct 14th game at USF to the week before on Oct 7th. UMass has a bye Oct 7th, so it works out for them and they'd probably move the game if the AAC gives them $300k plus all travel change expenses.

Note that the underlined dates are ESPN games that will be swapped out--so we will need their buy in as well.

This is what the conference is looking at in order to get the game rescheduled. A lot of moving pieces here. My guess is that they cannot get all partied to agree given all the costs and sacrifices that would have to be made. But that is what it would take in my estimation.

Obviously the decision would have to be made in the next 24 hours, as it would entail making changes to games that are only 8 days away (scheduling the UConn at Temple game for 9/21 and postponing the Temple at USF game for 9/21).

Impressive effort.

Reaction Score

Bowl selections normally start taking place on the first Sunday in December I believe. Can't believe they would gum up the whole process for AAC UConn/USF?

Edit add: CFP Selection Day and Playoff Semifinal teams are announced on 12/3 this year.

Before the Army/Navy game comes up... Navy has predetermined spots if not CFP.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Impediment #1 is the Army v Navy game on 12/9 (the week you recommend moving the Championship game to)
Impediment #2 is that the bowl selections are made prior to 12/9--so would be a barrier for AAC bowls

Why not just play it on army navy week?

C

Chief00

I wonder if Benedict said to Aresco - you and the league are taking an awful beating on social media?

Reaction Score
Watch, the conference will rule that the game must be made up but will also determine that it wouldn't be fair to USF to make them have to play a "cold weather game". In order to be fair to USF, (the AAC's supposed best team with a chance at a New Years bowl game), the game will be rescheduled for the end of the year and be played at USF.

Reaction Score

I thought there was another thread that was not so complicated. Involved Houston and ECU. Also I did not check all your facts but I know uconn plays at UCF on 11/11 because I am going! Therefore it would be difficult for them to play Temple that day.

Reaction Score
I thought there was another thread that was not so complicated. Involved Houston and ECU. Also I did not check all your facts but I know uconn plays at UCF on 11/11 because I am going! Therefore it would be difficult for them to play Temple that day.
The USF-UConn Game Can Be Rescheduled. Here’s How.

Correct, it could be done only involving Houston and ECU.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think it's safe to assume that Aresco doesn't care what's being said about him on our message board.
Or does he?
111.jpg

Reaction Score
Benedict can whine all he wants but this won't be rescheduled.
If you read Benedict's quotes, it becomes obvious you do not understand the meaning of the word whining.

Definition of whine
whined; whining
intransitive verb
1 a :to utter a high-pitched plaintive or distressed cry
b :to make a sound similar to such a cry
  • the wind whined in the chimney
2 :to complain with or as if with a whine
  • always whining about the weather
3 :to move or proceed with the sound of a whine
  • the bullet whined … across the ice
  • —Berton Roueché

Status