Actors that should have been bigger stars | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Actors that should have been bigger stars

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Several of those I was aware of being famous for being short, but others not so much. I looked up some of their heights. I have a bit of an issue w/ 5-9 or 5-10 being considered short. That's actually about average.

Deniro is 5'10 and Javier Bardem is about 6'. I wasn't going to respond to such a naked thread hijack and trolling attempt.

Also, either Game of Thrones has a really tall cast, or Kit Harrington is not 5'8. Several of the actors tower over him, and Rose Leslie seemed to be looking him in the eye in most of their scenes together.

Harrington's height does not need to be a fatal problem for his career, but it will be a problem, particularly since he plays tough guy roles that call for big men. I think Harrington will do OK, but I don't see him being an A or even B list leading man.

The Red Wedding was over 4 years ago, and Richard Madden (Robb Stark) has a lead on a middling Netflix period piece, and not much else. Harrington has at least had a lead in a comically awful, big budget, disaster flick, Pompeii.

Reaction Score
Deniro is 5'10 and Javier Bardem is about 6'. I wasn't going to respond to such a naked thread hijack and trolling attempt.

Also, either Game of Thrones has a really tall cast, or Kit Harrington is not 5'8. Several of the actors tower over him, and Rose Leslie seemed to be looking him in the eye in most of their scenes together.

Harrington's height does not need to be a fatal problem for his career, but it will be a problem, particularly since he plays tough guy roles that call for big men. I think Harrington will do OK, but I don't see him being an A or even B list leading man.

The Red Wedding was over 4 years ago, and Richard Madden (Robb Stark) has a lead on a middling Netflix period piece, and not much else. Harrington has at least had a lead in a comically awful, big budget, disaster flick, Pompeii.
The point is Hollywood is full of short guys with big heads. Being short is in no way an impediment to being a star actor. And in no way is being a small guy an impediment to playing tough guy roles, it seems historically most of the guys playing these roles are manlets.

Reaction Score
Several of those I was aware of being famous for being short, but others not so much. I looked up some of their heights. I have a bit of an issue w/ 5-9 or 5-10 being considered short. That's actually about average.
It's like basketball heights, if a guy is claiming 5'9 he's most likely 5'7.

Reaction Score
I also left out a ton of people. Humphrey Bogart, Marlon Brando, Jack Nicholson, Robert Redford, Joaquin Phoenix etc.

Reaction Score
I heard an interview with the Director of Ghosts in the Darkness where he said he would never work with Kilmer again. People weren't subtle about their dislike of Kilmer.
I'm sure that's true, but from a pure consumer standpoint I don't care. Akin to how the fact that Michael Jordan was a jerk, arrogant, petty etc.. in no way subtracts from enjoyment I got watching him play basketball. At some point lots of great actors are arrogant, perfectionists and difficult to work with in good & bad ways - but that's their colleagues and directors problems or challenges to work thru to make a good movie. Example, Tootsie was autobiographical about how Dustin Hoffman over-analyzed and was pedantic/condescending.

I haven't seen the Jim Carey making of Man in the Moon thing yet, but that's right on topic, basically how turning into a for a role altered his personal makeup and essentially derailed his superstardom run.

Likewise it was always pretty obvious to me and many that Kevin Spacey is/was a jerk (I'm among many that never watched House of Cards knowing he's most annoying when in power), but in some roles he's perfect. Different ballgame of course that his personal issues were likely crimes, taints his film history. We are all still reconciling what to do with the art of Bill Cosby, Woody Allen and their ilk.

I guess my point is until they are outright criminals they can be extremely difficult people, for me that doesn't fully explain missed opportunities to make good art.

Reaction Score
The point is Hollywood is full of short guys with big heads. Being short is in no way an impediment to being a star actor. And in no way is being a small guy an impediment to playing tough guy roles, it seems historically most of the guys playing these roles are manlets.
Is it just a cesspool meme that you’re short in real life or is it actually true? Either way it makes this whole exchange that much more funny.

Reaction Score
Is it just a cesspool meme that you’re short in real life or is it actually true? Either way it makes this whole exchange that much more funny.
Haha, 5'10 barefoot so probably 6'0-6'1 in Hollwood.

Reaction Score
I'm sure that's true, but from a pure consumer standpoint I don't care. Akin to how the fact that Michael Jordan was a jerk, arrogant, petty etc.. in no way subtracts from enjoyment I got watching him play basketball. At some point lots of great actors are arrogant, perfectionists and difficult to work with in good & bad ways - but that's their colleagues and directors problems or challenges to work thru to make a good movie. Example, Tootsie was autobiographical about how Dustin Hoffman over-analyzed and was pedantic/condescending.

I haven't seen the Jim Carey making of Man in the Moon thing yet, but that's right on topic, basically how turning into a for a role altered his personal makeup and essentially derailed his superstardom run.

Likewise it was always pretty obvious to me and many that Kevin Spacey is/was a jerk (I'm among many that never watched House of Cards knowing he's most annoying when in power), but in some roles he's perfect. Different ballgame of course that his personal issues were likely crimes, taints his film history. We are all still reconciling what to do with the art of Bill Cosby, Woody Allen and their ilk.

I guess my point is until they are outright criminals they can be extremely difficult people, for me that doesn't fully explain missed opportunities to make good art.

I think there is a difference between difficult because of a big ego, demanding needs, or intense work ethic (like using the method) vs. being a bad person to be around at all times. Christian Bale seems like a lunatic, but he'll get jobs. Daniel Day Lewis gets labeled as difficult, but he's gold. I have close second hand knowledge of how Kilmer treated people. A friend who is now a legit industry player was given a Kilmer relationship because nobody else wanted to deal with him. Kilmer treated him like he was lower than garbage and didn't seem to be all there. It makes sense that you wouldn't work too hard for a guy like that so there is less margin for error in their career. Once the actor has to truly audition or push for a part, they are going to continuously come up short because someone will take the opportunity to say no. On the flip side, I believe that some of the people in the foil of this thread (those that get better gigs than they should) get their jobs because they are likable or a pleasure to work with.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Good list.

Linda Fiorentino was smoking hot in Men in Black. She showed good comedic chops as well.

Annabella Sciorra - don't forget What Dreams May Come with Robin Williams. She's great in that. FWIW it's a very under appreciated movie.

Leelee Sobieski looks like she escaped from a Helen Hunt cloning experiment. I was surprised she didn't do more.

Penelope Ann Miller has had a pretty solid career. Did she have plastic surgery? She looks way different now than she did early in her career. (Think Kindergarten Cop.)

My nominee would be Wolfgang Bodison. I thought his career would take off after A Few Good Men.

Leelee is among the more surprisingly sexy women I can ever remember in Hollywood. Face is about Helen Hunt level, neck down....wow. Spectacular bod.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Elizabeth Shue, has to be on any list of great actresses who never made it big. Many thought she was robbed at the Oscars when nominated for Leaving Las Vegas. I mean it's rare when a great actress can play a serious role or just as easily be hysterically funny, and also be a stunning looking woman, and she was. She must have had the worst agent in Hollywood. Although some of her fading away was by choice, actually put her career on hold to play competitive tennis.

She single handedly ruined The Karate Kid. I could feel not one ounce of sympathy for that kid. None. She was so far out of his league it was ridiculous.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It's like basketball heights, if a guy is claiming 5'9 he's most likely 5'7.

I wondered about that.

Back to your list, most of those guys have plenty of presence on screen and several have impressive physiques and are believable playing very physical roles. I'm not tall myself, I've always thought a short buff guy is way more manly than a tall skinny guy.

Reaction Score
She single handedly ruined The Karate Kid. I could feel not one ounce of sympathy for that kid. None. She was so far out of his league it was ridiculous.
Major film critics loved the movie, Roger Ebert mentioned her as the love interest in a positive way. The film won two "Young Artist Awards" for Shue and the Film itself, your anger is disturbing.

Reaction Score
Not sure if he completely fits but I was always amazed that Tim Robbins didn't end up doing more big things.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Samantha Barks, who played Eponine in Les Miserables, stealing the show in a movie that won 3 Golden Globes and 3 Oscars. She is smoking hot and very talented, but her IMDB profile looks like she practically retired.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Samantha Barks, who played Eponine in Les Miserables, stealing the show in a movie that won 3 Golden Globes and 3 Oscars. She is smoking hot and very talented, but her IMDB profile looks like she practically retired.
It appears she is on stage in Pretty Woman.

Reaction Score
Rules: Actor has to be at least 30 and still hasn't broken out.

The criteria for success is repeated critically and/or commercially successful TV shows or movies as lead, co lead, or major character. I would add that if an actor had a long stretch where they were rocking, they probably don't qualify. 10 years at the top is a long time in Hollywood. Make the case if you have a character actor you really like.

I am re-watching Mad Men, which gave me the idea for this thread.

For example, most of the Game of Thrones actors have done about what I would have expected them to do. Emelia Clarke can pull off syrupy dramas based on her looks, but is not capable of any more than that because she is not particularly talented or charismatic. Harrington's height is going to be a problem for him, and he needs to do something different than period piece badass. Maisie Williams has potential to be the biggest and longest term star of the bunch. That said, none of the cast has done particularly better or worse than you would expect given their talent, looks and subsequent movie and TV roles.

I kind of feel the same way about the Mad Men cast, with an exception or two.

Two examples that do fit:

Mary Tyler Moore - beautiful, funny, starred in one of the biggest TV hit comedies in history, and was nominated for an Oscar. Yet she was doing cheesy TV movies and reunion shows by her late 50's, and her career was basically over by 2000.

Tim Matheson - had major roles in two of the biggest movie comedy hits of all time (Fletch and Animal House), good looking, good actor, got a mid career reprieve with a recurring role on the West Wing, and he is now guest starring on middle of the pack network TV shows.

Younger actors:

Jessica Pare - I think she is a really good actress, as shown by a very complex role on Mad Men. Playing stupid but not too stupid is not easy, and every twist in her character's development was completely credible in a large part because of her. I think she is stunning to look at, but in a very distinctive way that makes her memorable. The huge overbite makes her more vulnerable and approachable, so she doesn't have to just play the hot babe all the time. She basically got no roles out of Mad Men, and while I haven't seen Seal Team and its ratings are solid, it doesn't look like a career maker for Pare.
Keith David....Platoon, The Thing, and many others in his early career. His narration of Ken Burns "The War" was
memorable, I think he won an Emmy for it.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Since then he's been in a supporting role in some decent films. Maybe he'll rise back up again eventually, I think he was judged too harshly in '12.

Sorry for the lameness of quoting myself. Just saw Taylor Kitsch in "Only the Brave," another really solid role for him. I think he is going to rebound. Maybe won't ever get the lead role in a blockbuster again, but should be able to find steady work and good roles.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
She was astounding in Les Mis. Her On My Own was show stopping.

Reaction Score
I think there is a difference between difficult because of a big ego, demanding needs, or intense work ethic (like using the method) vs. being a bad person to be around at all times. Christian Bale seems like a lunatic, but he'll get jobs. Daniel Day Lewis gets labeled as difficult, but he's gold. I have close second hand knowledge of how Kilmer treated people. A friend who is now a legit industry player was given a Kilmer relationship because nobody else wanted to deal with him. Kilmer treated him like he was lower than garbage and didn't seem to be all there. It makes sense that you wouldn't work too hard for a guy like that so there is less margin for error in their career. Once the actor has to truly audition or push for a part, they are going to continuously come up short because someone will take the opportunity to say no. On the flip side, I believe that some of the people in the foil of this thread (those that get better gigs than they should) get their jobs because they are likable or a pleasure to work with.
Just seeing this now. Great response, nuanced detail on Kilmer.

I think our conclusion is flawed people that are artists/actors can make transcendent great art, but they are unlikely to be able to do so consistently or hold onto it. So Val Kilmer's performance in Wyatt Earp becomes in a weird way even more outstanding cuz something was right to capture that lightning in a bottle before the damn bottle explodes sending glass chards into everyone nearby.

And of course in Hollywood there are those who get tainted by successes usually too early or too much. Sean Penn comes to mind there with iconic turn in Fast Times and as mentioned in other threads I think his best work is in At Close Range where he literally transforms his body and self into the big time actor (he built towards this, also great in Bad Boys, Falcon and the Snowman). He's had on & off again good performances since, but at this point is quite obviously an insufferable and that is hard to see past in many movies (see Cruise, Tom). I find Mystic River insufferably over-rated partially because Penn over-acts yet also dumbs down the role and mostly b/c I'd read the Dennis Lehane book and Eastwood dumbed down the plot to make more obvious villains & heroes.

Reaction Score
images

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom