Actors that should have been bigger stars | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Actors that should have been bigger stars

Reaction Score
Albert Hall who played Chief in Apocalypse Now - Brilliant performance that should have led to bigger roles

albert.jpg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Marisa Tomei is someone I thought should have been bigger. Always loved her.
She was just a presenter on the SAG Awards. She looks tremendous. I said as much, and my wife and youngest daughter asked how old she is. I said "older than me" and they both said no way. My wife said she was around my wife's age (3+ years younger than me) and I said no way. I was right. She's 53. Yowza. Underrated.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm a big fan of Sam Rockwell. He's been in plenty of movies, but usually as a supporting actor, or in B grade or indie movies. He's incredibly versatile, he's got plenty of charisma, seems like the guy should be a much bigger star than he is. As both Zaphod Beeblebrox and Guy Fleegman, he's nailed down 2 of the better comedic sci fi performances of all time.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Linda Fiorentino (sexy and solid comic actress, labeled "difficult" by Kevin Smith)
Annabella Sciorra (Hand that Rocks the Cradle, then Jungle Fever, then poof until Sopranos...no idea why not working more)
Edward Furlong (trouble with law)
Leelee Sobieski (didn't like celebrity trappings)
Penelope Ann Miller (solid and very hot in The Freshman, I suppose peaked with Carlito's Way, 1993)
Natasha Lyonne (hit it big early with Slums of Beverly Hills, had some issues. I forgot all about her until watching Handsome on Netflix, where she is hysterically funny)
Good list.

Linda Fiorentino was smoking hot in Men in Black. She showed good comedic chops as well.

Annabella Sciorra - don't forget What Dreams May Come with Robin Williams. She's great in that. FWIW it's a very under appreciated movie.

Leelee Sobieski looks like she escaped from a Helen Hunt cloning experiment. I was surprised she didn't do more.

Penelope Ann Miller has had a pretty solid career. Did she have plastic surgery? She looks way different now than she did early in her career. (Think Kindergarten Cop.)

My nominee would be Wolfgang Bodison. I thought his career would take off after A Few Good Men.

Reaction Score
I'm a big fan of Sam Rockwell. He's been in plenty of movies, but usually as a supporting actor, or in B grade or indie movies. He's incredibly versatile, he's got plenty of charisma, seems like the guy should be a much bigger star than he is. As both Zaphod Beeblebrox and Guy Fleegman, he's nailed down 2 of the better comedic sci fi performances of all time.
His portrayal of the real killer of the little twin girls in "The Green Mile" was chilling.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think he stinks in 3 Billboards. His transformation doesn't ring true for a second, it's like he's playing 2 different roles in the same movie.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Craig Sheffer. According to IMDB, he has a pretty consistent work timeline. I first saw him in Some Kind of Wonderful and he had a nice run with Fire in the Sky, A River Runs Through It (fantastic) and The Program (equally). He also did well for himself with Gabriel Anwar for a time, but it seems he never made The Leap. For a brief second I thought he landed the "Nelson Van Alden" role in Boardwalk Empire, that was played his doppelganger, Michael Shannon (8- Mile, The Iceman).

Husky25

Reaction Score
I think he stinks in 3 Billboards. His transformation doesn't ring true for a second, it's like he's playing 2 different roles in the same movie.
I thought he nailed it in 3 Billboards. The outburst in the interrogation room was fantastic (as was Woody Harrelson's characters' reaction to his recount.).

Husky25

Reaction Score
Justin Bartha. I thought he nailed the wise cracking Riley Poole in National Treasure. Was it only good writing? Looks like he alternates between the Small and Silver screens.

"Delicious jams and jellies?"

Reaction Score
Elizabeth Shue, has to be on any list of great actresses who never made it big. Many thought she was robbed at the Oscars when nominated for Leaving Las Vegas. I mean it's rare when a great actress can play a serious role or just as easily be hysterically funny, and also be a stunning looking woman, and she was. She must have had the worst agent in Hollywood. Although some of her fading away was by choice, actually put her career on hold to play competitive tennis.

Reaction Score
Chris Cooper and Ben Mendelsohn. Neither has matinee idol looks, they are both actually a little creepy looking. They also both steal every scene they are ever in with movie star actors headlining. Another creepy looking guy who acts circles around bigger name stars is Michael Shannon. I used to see him around my neighborhood, he's an intense/strange looking guy who has a major presence. Andre Braugher is another guy who has been wasted.

Guess they are more grossly underrated actors, to be a huge Hoywood star you have to have the look. People like Treat Williams, Clive Owen, Mark Ruffalo, Eric Bana, Alison Lohman, Ron Eldard, Michael Biehn, Carla Gugino should have bigger careers.

Gretchen Mol is sort of the poster boy actress for this, she had Marilyn Monroe looks and was supposed to be the next big thing but it never happened for her. There were always nasty rumors and it seems she was blackballed (probably Harvey related.) Linda Fiorentino had a great start and then ended up in cr@p like Red Shoe Diaries on Showtime, probably alongside Treat Williams.

Michael Jai White should have been a huge action star.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am not arguing everyone should have Tom Hanks' career. Most of those people you mentioned have had pretty good careers. How much better could Clive Owen have reasonably been expected to do? Some of them, like Cugino and Williams, are not top tier as actors, and also have to learn to say no to some parts. Gretchen Mol is good, not great. I liked her in Boardwalk Empire, but was not blown away. I like both Eldard and Biehn, but they are character actors, not leading men. Both had nice runs in their careers, and are still picking up paychecks.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Chris Cooper and Ben Mendelsohn. Neither has matinee idol looks, they are both actually a little creepy looking. They also both steal every scene they are ever in with movie star actors headlining. Another creepy looking guy who acts circles around bigger name stars is Michael Shannon. I used to see him around my neighborhood, he's an intense/strange looking guy who has a major presence. Andre Braugher is another guy who has been wasted.

Guess they are more grossly underrated actors, to be a huge Hoywood star you have to have the look. People like Treat Williams, Clive Owen, Mark Ruffalo, Eric Bana, Alison Lohman, Ron Eldard, Michael Biehn, Carla Gugino should have bigger careers.

Gretchen Mol is sort of the poster boy actress for this, she had Marilyn Monroe looks and was supposed to be the next big thing but it never happened for her. There were always nasty rumors and it seems she was blackballed (probably Harvey related.) Linda Fiorentino had a great start and then ended up in cr@p like Red Shoe Diaries on Showtime, probably alongside Treat Williams.

Michael Jai White should have been a huge action star.

My freshman year at Southern CT State U I was in Hickerson Hall. Across the hall was a black karate dude named Mike White. I hanged with him quite a bit that year.

Fast forward to three years ago it was midnight on a Saturday I watched a movie called "Blood and Bone". I googled the star and sure as sheet it was Mike!!!! Would love to see him at a book signing or something some day.

Reaction Score
Ed Burns was annoying as an actor imo. Perfect for his role in Brothers McMullen but tiring to see him play essentially the same guy in everything else after that. I do think he had a nice, distinctly New York style as a director, and particularly enjoyed his short film set to Bill Withers's "Lovely Day," which he did for one of the 9/11 tributes iirc.
Agree on Burns, not only did he play he same guy as Brothers McM in everything else but he tried to rewrite the movie once or twice. He was good in Saving Private Ryan but that's it.
So many actresses qualify; teens Ally Sheedy & Molly Ringwald never made it into adulthood. Amanda Peet (recently great in Togetherness). Isn't Phoebe Cates the definition of this?

Actors a bit tougher, does Val Kilmer qualify? We've talked here about how he was so good as Doc Holiday and obviously iconic in Top Gun, ultimately got a spin as Batman. He's worked a ton & definitely a 'star' but almost nothing memorable in the last 20 years - expected a better career.

Going another way what about Norm McDonald? So funny esp on SNL, but his starring turns in movies are as funny for being bad as they are just funny.

Reaction Score
Agree on Burns, not only did he play he same guy as Brothers McM in everything else but he tried to rewrite the movie once or twice. He was good in Saving Private Ryan but that's it.
So many actresses qualify; teens Ally Sheedy & Molly Ringwald never made it into adulthood. Amanda Peet (recently great in Togetherness). Isn't Phoebe Cates the definition of this?

Actors a bit tougher, does Val Kilmer qualify? We've talked here about how he was so good as Doc Holiday and obviously iconic in Top Gun, ultimately got a spin as Batman. He's worked a ton & definitely a 'star' but almost nothing memorable in the last 20 years - expected a better career.

Going another way what about Norm McDonald? So funny esp on SNL, but his starring turns in movies are as funny for being bad as they are just funny.
Kilmer was a star but word is he was difficult to work with, turned down some good roles, got sick and lost his looks. Pretty sad what happened to him.

Norm Macdonald is one of the funniest people ever, unfortunately most people don't get him.

Reaction Score
My freshman year at Southern CT State U I was in Hickerson Hall. Across the hall was a black karate dude named Mike White. I hanged with him quite a bit that year.

Fast forward to three years ago it was midnight on a Saturday I watched a movie called "Blood and Bone". I googled the star and sure as sheet it was Mike!!!! Would love to see him at a book signing or something some day.
From Bridgeport, guy is a serious bad arse.

Reaction Score

He did get around, I used to work out with him at a gym in Bridgeport many years ago, knew him well.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Kilmer was eventually hated by people he worked with. He was a great actor in his prime and still had a really strong run. His problems were self-inflicted.

Phoebe Cates married Kevin Kline in the late 80's and retired in 1994. She has only done one movie since then.

Sheedy was a mediocre actress, and was lucky to have the run she had. Molly Ringwald was good as a teen actress, but it was clear even then that she would not translate into an adult actress. Amanda Peet is smoking hot but average at best as an actress.

Macdonald is an odd duck that has antagonized most of his former friends in the business. Even some of the people like Lorne Michaels that have a ton of respect for him do not want to work with him.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Alexander Skarsgard fits in this category. Leading man looks and he is an amazing actor, yet he is bouncing around the HBO retread closet. I suspect that is going to change with his Emmy win.

Reaction Score
Rules: Actor has to be at least 30 and still hasn't broken out.

The criteria for success is repeated critically and/or commercially successful TV shows or movies as lead, co lead, or major character. I would add that if an actor had a long stretch where they were rocking, they probably don't qualify. 10 years at the top is a long time in Hollywood. Make the case if you have a character actor you really like.

I am re-watching Mad Men, which gave me the idea for this thread.

For example, most of the Game of Thrones actors have done about what I would have expected them to do. Emelia Clarke can pull off syrupy dramas based on her looks, but is not capable of any more than that because she is not particularly talented or charismatic. Harrington's height is going to be a problem for him, and he needs to do something different than period piece badass. Maisie Williams has potential to be the biggest and longest term star of the bunch. That said, none of the cast has done particularly better or worse than you would expect given their talent, looks and subsequent movie and TV roles.

I kind of feel the same way about the Mad Men cast, with an exception or two.

Two examples that do fit:

Mary Tyler Moore - beautiful, funny, starred in one of the biggest TV hit comedies in history, and was nominated for an Oscar. Yet she was doing cheesy TV movies and reunion shows by her late 50's, and her career was basically over by 2000.

Tim Matheson - had major roles in two of the biggest movie comedy hits of all time (Fletch and Animal House), good looking, good actor, got a mid career reprieve with a recurring role on the West Wing, and he is now guest starring on middle of the pack network TV shows.

Younger actors:

Jessica Pare - I think she is a really good actress, as shown by a very complex role on Mad Men. Playing stupid but not too stupid is not easy, and every twist in her character's development was completely credible in a large part because of her. I think she is stunning to look at, but in a very distinctive way that makes her memorable. The huge overbite makes her more vulnerable and approachable, so she doesn't have to just play the hot babe all the time. She basically got no roles out of Mad Men, and while I haven't seen Seal Team and its ratings are solid, it doesn't look like a career maker for Pare.
You're right Harrington's height is going to be a major problem for him, afterall no short actors have ever made it big except for James Cagney, James Dean, Al Pacino, Robert Duvall, Robert DeNiro, Stallone, Tom Cruise, James Caan, Don Cheadle, Dustin Hoffman, James McAvoy, Robert Downey Jr. , Ben Stiller, Matthew Broderick, Emile Hirsch, Michael J. Fox, Paul Newman, Robin Williams, Mark Wahlberg, Zac Efron, Tom Hardy, Javier Bardem, Richard Dreyfuss, Jeremy Renner.

Reaction Score
Kilmer was eventually hated by people he worked with. He was a great actor in his prime and still had a really strong run. His problems were self-inflicted
That's a lot of non-specific Personal /interpersonal stuff, which I guess is often a big reason success gets away from people. But I'm sure there's a ton of old people stories about all those girls being the next big thing back in the days when such accolades only went to 1 or 2 per year.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That's a lot of non-specific Personal /interpersonal stuff, which I guess is often a big reason success gets away from people. But I'm sure there's a ton of old people stories about all those girls being the next big thing back in the days when such accolades only went to 1 or 2 per year.

I heard an interview with the Director of Ghosts in the Darkness where he said he would never work with Kilmer again. People weren't subtle about their dislike of Kilmer.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
You're right Harrington's height is going to be a major problem for him, afterall no short actors have ever made it big except for James Cagney, James Dean, Al Pacino, Robert Duvall, Robert DeNiro, Stallone, Tom Cruise, James Caan, Don Cheadle, Dustin Hoffman, James McAvoy, Robert Downey Jr. , Ben Stiller, Matthew Broderick, Emile Hirsch, Michael J. Fox, Paul Newman, Robin Williams, Mark Wahlberg, Zac Efron, Tom Hardy, Javier Bardem, Richard Dreyfuss, Jeremy Renner.

Several of those I was aware of being famous for being short, but others not so much. I looked up some of their heights. I have a bit of an issue w/ 5-9 or 5-10 being considered short. That's actually about average.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom