ACC | Page 14 | The Boneyard

ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I find in my time here, that those that are able to follow me, are the ones that are usually the most intelligent, educated,and knowledgable......and probably the best looking too.....

!!!PPPTHTPPPHTT!!!!! - (That's me sticking my tongue out at you in case you can't figure it out. )

If anyone was curious, this thread is a lot better if Carl's posts are ignored

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
!!!PPPTHTPPPHTT!!!!! - (That's me sticking my tongue out at you in case you can't figure it out. )

Carl, I definitely appreciate the exclamation points before the sound, so that Spanish readers can enjoy also. ;)

This thread is like Keith Richards; it seemingly will never die...

Reaction Score
I know, I"m doing what I can to keep it going!!.

Since we've got such and audience here - how about a poll. SOmethign I said a few times along the way.

Who reading here wants a college football playoff? Not a bastardized BCS version - a real playoff? 16 teams. All division 1-A conference champs and a couple of at-larges seeded by committee and play two weekends early december, and then two weekends after final exams? 3 rounds and a true national championship game from the first time since the first college football game every in the 1800s?

How about if?

I'm one. How many we got in favor?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I know, I"m doing what I can to keep it going!!.

Since we've got such and audience here - how about a poll. SOmethign I said a few times along the way.

Who reading here wants a college football playoff? Not a bastardized BCS version - a real playoff? 16 teams. All division 1-A conference champs and a couple of at-larges seeded by committee and play two weekends early december, and then two weekends after final exams? 3 rounds and a true national championship game from the first time since the first college football game every in the 1800s?

How about if?

I'm one. How many we got in favor?

Yes, of course. I'd even take 12 teams. 4 with a bye, and 8 playing in round 1. Might appease the SEC and B1G. Still include all conference champs, even SunBelt.

Reaction Score
Agreed. But, it's somewhat strange when posters reply and it sounds/looks like they're having a conversation w/ themselves. I can't imagine what my life would be like if I hadn't discovered the ignore function around page 4.

Reaction Score
Cool - there's two. EVERY conference champ being involved is the key - ABSOLUTELY. Figure out the format from there. Got to leave a week for finals in December, but it can be done - a true playoff b/w Dec - early Januray.

You can run an invite bowl system at the same time.

The conference shifting, re-alignment never ends, without a playoff format that includes all conference champions.

Reaction Score
TCU is about 5 years ahead of UH in building their program. TCU has averaged 10 wins a year for the last 12 seasons. Houston has averaged 9 wins a year for the last 6 seasons. Last year, TCU sold 20,000 season tickets and Houston sold 13,000. TCU is finishing their stadium project in 2012. Houston is starting theirs in 2012. With the Big East and a new stadium, Houston should hit 20,000 season tickets by ~2014.

That said, with the departure of the Aggies, the Big 12 lost nearly half its appeal in Houston. People here watch UT, A&M and Houston. Big 12 games not involving UT or A&M lag SEC games here. If the Big 12 wanted to preserve its dominance in the Houston market, they needed to add Houston. Now, the city of Houston will be a split market between the Big 12, SEC and Big East. Texas, Texas A&M and Houston games will be the big draws. Then SEC games not involving A&M. Then Big 12 games not involving Texas. Then Big East games not involving Houston.

Yep, I agree!! This is basically the EXACT reason that UH should have gotten invite to Big 12 over TCU, imo.

Reaction Score

Agreed. But, it's somewhat strange when posters reply and it sounds/looks like they're having a conversation w/ themselves. I can't imagine what my life would be like if I hadn't discovered the ignore function around page 4.

Agreed! He's only in this thread just to argue. I stopped reading his posts after his 1st or 2nd post.

Reaction Score
Inside - I firmly believed that the ACC expanded by 2 to invoke the ESPN renegotiate clause and at the time they believed each team would get about $5m more (with SyraPitt getting a diluted share). Now that we see that the number may by just $1.7m and the ACC had to lenghten the contract and throw in some tier rights (I think that's correct) aren't they pissed? I hope your firm was not involved with the ACC and estimated $5m (not trying to be cute). I do know, quite reliably, that $5m was the number talked about. What a miscalculation and FSU and Clemson who agreed to the much higher $20m exit fee have to be even more upset that their yearly take only goes up by $1.7m

Reaction Score
Inside - I firmly believed that the ACC expanded by 2 to invoke the ESPN renegotiate clause and at the time they believed each team would get about $5m more (with SyraPitt getting a diluted share). Now that we see that the number may by just $1.7m and the ACC had to lenghten the contract and throw in some tier rights (I think that's correct) aren't they pissed? I hope your firm was not involved with the ACC and estimated $5m (not trying to be cute). I do know, quite reliably, that $5m was the number talked about. What a miscalculation and FSU and Clemson who agreed to the much higher $20m exit fee have to be even more upset that their yearly take only goes up by $1.7m

Unlike anything he's posted, what you've written here, can be verified online through multiple, indendant, trustworthy resources.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I've never ignored anyone before. It's funny that it says the last post in this thread was made by "ignored member," hehe

Reaction Score
No, as I've said throughout this thread, we did the valuations for ESPN. The ACC actually kept their valuations internal (smh). I don't know anything about them expecting to get a $5M bump, but if so, that's pretty sad. To assume you'd get $5M from Pitt & Syracuse, you'd have to value both programs at $70M per year.........b/c $70M divided by 14 teams is $5 year per team.

FWIW, FSU & Clemson (amongst others) talked the ACC down to $20M from the $34M exit fee they were trying to pass.

Reaction Score
Inside:

Any feedback on questions I asked in post #306 back on page 21? Thanks in advance.

Reaction Score
FromTheInside:

Sooner/ B12 fan here. Interested on your take on the following questions (secondarily relevant to UConn fans, given possible impacts on ACC):

1. Whether 2012 valuations are doing any discounting of B12 due to perceived instability, or is that perception no longer a factor?

2. If the selection of the next B12 commissioner is linchpin in B12 expansion success, who moves the needle the most: ND AD Jack Swarbrick, Conf. USA Commissioner Britton Banowsky, NCCA guru Greg Shaheen or former NBC Sports Chairman Dick Ebersol?

3. Regarding tier III rights, why would an OU game that Fox did not in previous years select for tier II broadcast and which would then fall to PPV status, now become attractive enough to pay to put on FSW or FOK? In other words, how does Fox’s valuation of Oklahoma’s available games differ from that of Learfield Sports, so as to justify paying more for the new deal to put OU content on Fox regional networks?

4. Regarding tier III rights, how are valuations done for agreements to carry games on the internet, such as the K-State model? And do you see this type of model becoming profitable for schools with available tier III rights, in the foreseeable future?

5. Do you have any information whether the ABC/ESPN-B12 tier I contract extension requires the B12 schools to extend their assignment of media rights to the conference for the duration of the extension, or at least beyond the current six year period?

6. You stated in the other thread that the new B12 tier I contract has provisions for increasing the payout, if certain schools are added to the conference. You also speculated on who the B12 is or may be approaching. Are all of these schools included in the contract clause, and are there any more included that you did not mention? (Louisville and BYU are notably absent).
(1) We do the valuations, but we're not involved in the negotiations. So, I don't know if ESPN applied anything like that to our numbers. But, I said on page 1, nearly a week before the contract was announced that the ABC/ESPN contract would put the Big XII in the $19M - $23M payout range, and they came in towards the lower end of my expectations. So, there doesn't appear to have been any discounting. And, I never got the sense that ESPN considered the Big XII to be unstable. Once their TV rights were assigned to the conference, they were locked in. And, I know that members are open to the idea of extending that granting of rights if need be.

(2) I really have no idea on who moves the needle the most with regards to the next Big XII commissioner. I haven't heard anything with regards to who's being interviewed or how those candidates are perceived by potential target programs, etc.

(3) There are a lot of reasons why an OU game that would get passed on by FSN for Tier 2 would suddenly have value as a Tier 3 program. But, you have to understand Tier 2 contracts. They are not for "all" games not selected by a conference's Tier 1 partner. They're for a set number of games. And, every conference has stipulation on how many games the provider must select from each university. So, as is/was the case with a handful of OU games each year, there are games that are passed from almost every university......not b/c the Tier 2 partner doesn't want to broadcast them, but b/c they can only broadcast so many games, and they have to broadcast a certain # of games from every program. If they didn't do that, then smaller drawing teams like Baylor would never make it on TV, and that would put them at a competitive disadvantage. Tier 3 broadcasts have a lot of value, and it isn't very hard to turn a serious profit. Take the OU contact for instance. They're going to provide FSN with 1,000 - 1,500 hours of programing a year. Because the number of hours are huge, it doesn't take a ton of ad revenue to make a serious profit.

(4) Internet based media valuations are almost always done in house, b/c the formula is much more simplistic. You generally have a straight-forward subscription based service + targeted ad placements - operating costs, which are generally minimal. Internet based Tier 3 programing is a very profitable model, b/c it doesn't require carrier negotiations (ala DirecTV, etc). It's hard for me to imagine a time when we watch TV on the internet. But, w/ the direction of technology & the continuing increase in computer screens, I could easily see this type model being highly lucrative in 5 years or so. Just think about it.......if you sold 50k subs for $5/mo, you're looking at $3M/yr in revenue, not counting ad revenue. It's not hard to imagine a day when technology allows the internet to be monetized to a significant degree w/ regards to Tier 3 broadcasts.

(5) I don't believe the ABC/ESPN contract requires an extension of their assignment of their TV rights. But, I do know that the topic has been discussed, especially if the Big XII moves forward w/ expansion plans (an extension is something FSU has mentioned as wanting in conversations w/ unofficial Big XII representatives).

(6) I do not know with certainty which schools are on the list. But, the schools that I know are of interest to the Big XII are: FSU, Clemson, GA Tech, Miami, NC State, VA Tech, Maryland, Pitt, Louisville, Arkansas, and BYU. That doesn't mean there aren't more, or that all of them would be considered acceptable expansion targets. But, I know they have come up during internal Big XII meetings/discussions. There are others that have as well, such as Cincy & Rutgers, but not w/ as much fanfare.

Reaction Score
Nelson:

Believe it or not, along with independence, ND also has strongly valued having its home games broadcast nationally on an over-the-air TV network (not ESPN/cable).

Hell, the ND administration doesn't like the idea that Comcast is going to put one ND home game per year on NBC Sports (Versus).

Now, you and I both know that ESPN is not going to pay $90 million dollars for ND alone and if ESPN offered an extremely large contract, ND may likely change that stance.

I am not convinced that UConn would be in the ACC either if it had played ND. I do agree that it was shortsighted for UConn to reject the deal. ND just found someone else to play.

I just wanted you to know that ND places value on things that others may find a bit strange, like its national Catholic university identity (over Big Ten Network dollars) and its nationwide over the air network contract with NBC.

I think that this has been a great thread.

Reaction Score
If you've been reading what I"ve been writing for a long time, then you now completely understand why I was so pissed off with my alma mater from 2003-2011. Jeff Hathaway and Philip Austin sat in the Big East meetings in 2003 and didn't budge on solidarity with the Big East. You know who else knew - and understood - Randy Edsall. I have my faults with Randy, most of them having to do with the way he approached the game - I just prefer an entirely different approach, but the man understood football, and he did know that UConn had a ceiling with the way we were handling things.

It wasn't until President Herbst, after Syracuse and Pitt left, that UConn has ever demonstrated any hint of non-solidarity with the Big East.

THe big east deserves our loyalty, because we owe everythign we are in 2012 to the conference. We also, are everything we are, and hte situation we're in, because of it too. Two sides to every coin.
since pitt and syracuse left, what has the BE done that has you so enamored and believing that the league officials 'get it'? It's like saying The French finally got it when the Germans were hanging their flags from every building in Paris.
I like some of the additions, but lets be real, they were made out of desperation. Not because the league got it. The were down to 5 FB teams!!!!. That's what it took for this league to figure out they needed to do something, and every post you say things have changesd.
If the league got it, they would make some moves to stabilize this league and not have 30 teams affiliated with 30 different agendas. I get Navy for fb only, but Boise and SDSU should have regional rivals and be in for all sports. Instead of hitting a grand slam when we needed it, we got a single. That's the same old leadership we had in 2003.

Reaction Score
Nelson:

Believe it or not, along with independence, ND also has strongly valued having its home games broadcast nationally on an over-the-air TV network (not ESPN/cable).

Hell, the ND administration doesn't like the idea that Comcast is going to put one ND home game per year on NBC Sports (Versus).

Now, you and I both know that ESPN is not going to pay $90 million dollars for ND alone and if ESPN offered an extremely large contract, ND may likely change that stance.

I am not convinced that UConn would be in the ACC either if it had played ND. I do agree that it was shortsighted for UConn to reject the deal. ND just found someone else to play.

I just wanted you to know that ND places value on things that others may find a bit strange, like its national Catholic university identity (over Big Ten Network dollars) and its nationwide over the air network contract with NBC.

I think that this has been a great thread.

thanks, terry. And please thank Notre Dame for giving us catholicism. And for making the irish so plucky.

sorry, it has been a bad day for uconn, and your tone is a little overbearing.

Reaction Score
Sorry for the long winded answer - just realized I may have not answered your question. If you want to start a list of colleges, start with the list of colleges in teh Patriot league that just within the past month have agreed to start offereing large numbers of scholarships for football again. Those schools didn't have a chance to land 1-A quality players once the stadium requirements were put in place. Add to that list, all the 1-AA programs in the yankee conference that previously were pulling top quality players from the region.

No problem Carl, but we maybe talking about a diffrent level of player. I think its great that the Patriot League is contributing to the overall scholarship pool. But back in the 70's Paterno's main competition for recruits came from the Ivy's, Pitt, WVU. Maryland, BC, Syracuse, Temple, Villanova, Rutgers, perhaps less so with the Military Academies and in the state of Ohio. These were the schools that were largely on his schedule from his recruiting area. I agree he bumped heads on occasion for recruits with the likes of the Yankee Conference but all these schools were already playing at a different level at the time than the ones you mentioned above. And thats hasn't changed much. The only school adversely affected by the stadium clause save for a couple of the Ivies was Villanova but that was balanced by Rutgers' rise in level of competition. Whole hearttily agree that the legislation helped contain the expansion of that compettion. Think the attendence clause was even more of a hindrance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom