ACC | Page 34 | The Boneyard

ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do they go back to 14? Perhaps without Florida State (on the record as not wanting a basketball first school) and Clemson, they take UConn to settle the basketball-first schools. Roy Williams and Coach K were advocating for UConn's entrance, IIRC.

If the ACC really wants to dominate east coast basketball they would take Nova and Georgetown along with RU and UCONN. Before everyone screams the hybrid doesn't work recognize that this would be different because the two basketball schools would never be able to outvote the 14 football schools.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This crazy, crazy world of college football realignment! I was just starting to warm up to the idea of playing against teams like Boise State and Houston, too. And I can't lie; the idea of joining the ACC makes me violently ill. But in this weird game of musical chairs, I'm not sure that the school could say "no" if presented with the invite.

In an alternate universe, I would love for the Big East to have some coffer of money whereby, after being weakened by the loss of Fla St and Clemson, we could actually poach some of THEIR teams!! The comedy of grabbing back Va Tech and Miami would have me laughing for years to come. But alas, I live in this universe...

Reaction Score
This crazy, crazy world of college football realignment! I was just starting to warm up to the idea of playing against teams like Boise State and Houston, too. And I can't lie; the idea of joining the ACC makes me violently ill. But in this weird game of musical chairs, I'm not sure that the school could say "no" if presented with the invite.

In an alternate universe, I would love for the Big East to have some coffer of money whereby, after being weakened by the loss of Fla St and Clemson, we could actually poach some of THEIR teams!! The comedy of grabbing back Va Tech and Miami would have me laughing for years to come. But alas, I live in this universe...
You must (like me) be a big fan of X-Files & Fringe. It's obviously a Bizarro World idea.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
NBC (Versus) ratings Wednesday Night. 3rd best on cable.

05/03/12 - 03:19 PM]
Wednesday's Cable Ratings: NBA, NHL Postseason Take Top Spots
By The Futon Critic Staff (TFC)
select cable nielsen ratings
(national numbers for wednesday, may 2, 2012)
Here are the highlights of 25 ad-sustained programs that aired in primetime on the cable networks last night, courtesy of TravisYanan:
NBA Playoffs: L.A. Clippers/Memphis - TNT
3.137 million viewers, #1; 1.926 million adults 18-49 (1.5 rating), #1
Duck Dynasty (10:00) - A&E
2.152 million viewers, #2; 1.335 million adults 18-49 (1.0 rating), #2
NHL Playoffs: Washington/N.Y. Rangers - NBCSN
1.853 million viewers, #3; 1.199 million adults 18-49 (0.9 rating), #3

Read more at http://www.thefutoncritic.com/ratings/2012/05/03/wednesdays-cable-ratings-nba-nhl-postseason-take-top-spots-653312/cable_20120502/#AJvxBQkfB3PEwE3P.99

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You know, I was very skeptical of the From The Inside poster, but the numbers in that blog are very similar to the numbers he posted in that thread. 30 Million per team is outrageous. Good for them if they can get it. If that happens, you assume the ACC turns to UConn and RU. Do we go? I'd still have to say yes.

FWIW, apparently Chip Brown dropped Clemson and FSU in a radio interview yesterday, and said some of the former "stay at 10" votes were prepared to expand if they could find the right 2. That sounds like a "no" to Louisville, and a "yes" to Clemson and FSU. The headline is that if Chip is authorized by Texas to drop a name, and UT authorizes everything Chip Brown writes, then this is no longer message board conjecture.

The problem with an potential ACC invitation is that if FSU and Clemson leave, that is probably not the end of the departures.

Reaction Score
This crazy, crazy world of college football realignment! I was just starting to warm up to the idea of playing against teams like Boise State and Houston, too. ...

Don't worry, if the ACC keeps getting poached we may end up playing Boise and Houston under the ACC banner. In 100 years we are playing UMASS under a Pac 12 banner.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think Umass has played the big boys... They were very competitive with Michigan a few years back.

Wake me when Michigan agrees to a home and home with UMass.

Reaction Score
FWIW, apparently Chip Brown dropped Clemson and FSU in a radio interview yesterday, and said some of the former "stay at 10" votes were prepared to expand if they could find the right 2. That sounds like a "no" to Louisville, and a "yes" to Clemson and FSU. The headline is that if Chip is authorized by Texas to drop a name, and UT authorizes everything Chip Brown writes, then this is no longer message board conjecture.

The problem with an potential ACC invitation is that if FSU and Clemson leave, that is probably not the end of the departures.

Louisville fans seem to think they are still in even if FSU and Clemson go to the B12. I find it hard to believe. If Louisville still gets in it will have to be with a huge revenue generator. Maybe BYU or ND, and the latter isn't happening.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
lville fans think there in the b12 like wvu fans were in the sec a couple months ago.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
September 18. 2011. FSU V. Oklahome on Saturday Night (ABC) Pulls higher ratings than the other 4 major networks combined with 8.5 million viewers.

The B12 Championship on ABC on Sat Night in December outdrew the next 3 channels combined for over 3 hours

A Big 12 w/ Clemson and FSU can field a weekly B12 game on National Television (including marquee OOC games).

Fox Network anounced on April 9th it would go with Sports on Saturday Nights including 13 weeks of College football. CBS owns the SEC Spot on Saturday afternoon.

The BE isn't in that picture. IT's the same old argument in pro sports. There's 10 teams that draw a National audience. There's another 5 or 6 that draw OK when matched up against the Top 10. The rest are regional

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Florida State announces a major financial shortfall in their athletic department. Warchant has done a 180 on leaving the ACC in the last day. Chip Brown is talking about expansion. Clemson fan blogs start talking about leaving. All the mouthpieces are getting new marching orders, all within the last 24 hours or so AFTER the Big 12 meetings were finished.

This is NOT a coincidence. These are the trial balloons getting floated. This is how universities reach out to their hardcore fans to sway public opinion among the fans and boosters.

By next week, the beat writers from FSU and Clemson will be on this story, with maybe McMurphy and a few others jumping in. I don't think it is a done deal by any means, but the wheels are in motion. This is no longer just a theory.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Florida State announces a major financial shortfall in their athletic department. Warchant has done a 180 on leaving the ACC in the last day. Chip Brown is talking about expansion. Clemson fan blogs start talking about leaving. All the mouthpieces are getting new marching orders, all within the last 24 hours or so AFTER the Big 12 meetings were finished.

This is NOT a coincidence. These are the trial balloons getting floated. This is how universities reach out to their hardcore fans to sway public opinion among the fans and boosters.

By next week, the beat writers from FSU and Clemson will be on this story, with maybe McMurphy and a few others jumping in. I don't think it is a done deal by any means, but the wheels are in motion. This is no longer just a theory.

b12 got a commish, now all the presidents that were talking without a leader can get it all together on paper....

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Fox has the PAC--12 for Saturday Nights: ABC has the B12. CBS has the 3:30 slot for the SEC. ABC has the BiG early afternoon afternoon games. NBC has Notre Dame and Army. ESPN has a pantload of content for Thursday games and Fox Sportsnet has a boatload for Saturday afternnon regionals

The BE and ACC should play on Wednesday and Friday :).

Unlike the crap coming out of Hollywood the networks can deliver consistent ratings with live sports. FSU and Clemson? Cheaper to maintian with higher ratings than the latest Jennifer Love Hewitt show

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Cheaper to maintian with higher ratings than the latest Jennifer Love Hewitt show
I don't know what the show is, but if she shows her rack I'll watch it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
September 18. 2011. FSU V. Oklahome on Saturday Night (ABC) Pulls higher ratings than the other 4 major networks combined with 8.5 million viewers...

For all this talk of ratings, it's a shame the Big East couldn't maintain the momentum they had that year when a bunch of teams were in the Top 20. That year, the Big East had the highest rated games on ESPN. The northeast still has a ton of people living here, the casual fan will watch when a local team is in the mix.

Reaction Score
For all this talk of ratings, it's a shame the Big East couldn't maintain the momentum they had that year when a bunch of teams were in the Top 20. That year, the Big East had the highest rated games on ESPN. The northeast still has a ton of people living here, the casual fan will watch when a local team is in the mix.

Totally true. The stadium and rating for Rutgers/Louisville were on fire one night. You don't know what the potential of the northeast teams is until they are winning big. When they do, the interst level is very high.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Totally true. The stadium and rating for Rutgers/Louisville were on fire one night. You don't know what the potential of the northeast teams is until they are winning big. When they do, the interst level is very high.

Rutgers-Louisville drew a 1.45 share in New York City compared to 0.7 for West Virginia-Syracuse, according to the Nielsen ratings released today.

That rating tied for fourth all-time on ESPN2 for a football game viewed in the New York City area. Rutgers has been involved in all five of the top-rated football games in New York City on ESPN2.

Rutgers has also been part of four of the five highest-rated football games in the New York City area on ESPN.

That list is headed by Rutgers-Louisville in 2006, which drew an 8.1 rating, and includes Rutgers-West Virginia in 2006 (6.04); USC-Ohio State in 2009 (3.74); Rutgers-Cincinnati in 2006 (3.62) and South Florida Rutgers in 2007 (3.35). Rutgers-Louisville in 2006pulled 6.8 million nationally on ESPN/

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2011/10/rutgers-louisville_tv_rating_i.html

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There are a narrow range of outcomes that are not horrendous for UConn. The main one being if the Big 12 adds 3 or 4 from the ACC but the Big 10 and SEC don't swoop in and pick at the remains. The rumor of the day is that the Big 12 will take FSU, Clemson, Louisville and Miami. In this scenario, I could see the ACC adding 1 or 3 teams, most likely UConn, Rutgers and USF. It would go for large market, state schools because it would still have state schools in the league. That is pretty much the only scenario that doesn't become a trainwreck for UConn, although if the ACC just grabs Rutgers, it goes back to being a train wreck.

I still think that UNC, UVa and Maryland will be too attractive to the Big 10 to pass up if the ACC becomes unstable. It may not take all 3, but the first two are easy adds for even the Big 10. The SEC didn't add 2 western teams to not add 2 eastern teams at some point. I think if there is a wholesale carve up of the ACC, that league goes a completely different direction.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
One thing I will say about the ACC is that this league is incredibly loyal to each other. The ACC just got b-slapped publicly by ESPN, has been rumored to be getting raided for months now, and there is not a flight to the exit. UNC and UVa could join the SEC or the Big 10 by lunch time if they called either commissioner right now, but there is no indication they want to leave despite the opportunity to make millions more every year in either league. Virginia Tech is rumored to have politely declined the SEC a year ago. Even FSU seems to be moving slowly to the exits with the greatest reluctance, with all the FSU leaks making it seem like they want to work it out with the ACC but may have no choice but to leave.

FSU will make $10 to $15 million more per year in the Big 12. Those are facts. But most of the national and even local media still think the odds of them staying in the ACC are pretty good. UNC and UVA would make almost 2x their current contract if they jumped to the Big 10, yet there is not a whiff of such a move. That is simply incredible loyalty.

The Big East, on the other hand, has always hated each other. Pitt and Syracuse left for what may have been less money than they would have gotten if they had stayed. We will never no for sure, but financially, it was not a slam dunk. WVU was scrambling to get out long before they got a lifeline from the Big 12, despite having been very successful in the Big East. UConn has been as much a part of the problem as anyone. There isn't a single Big East school that would stick around if they could make an extra $1MM a year somewhere else.

Reaction Score
One thing I will say about the ACC is that this league is incredibly loyal to each other. The ACC just got b-slapped publicly by ESPN, has been rumored to be getting raided for months now, and there is not a flight to the exit. UNC and UVa could join the SEC or the Big 10 by lunch time if they called either commissioner right now, but there is no indication they want to leave despite the opportunity to make millions more every year in either league. Virginia Tech is rumored to have politely declined the SEC a year ago. Even FSU seems to be moving slowly to the exits with the greatest reluctance, with all the FSU leaks making it seem like they want to work it out with the ACC but may have no choice but to leave.

FSU will make $10 to $15 million more per year in the Big 12. Those are facts. But most of the national and even local media still think the odds of them staying in the ACC are pretty good. UNC and UVA would make almost 2x their current contract if they jumped to the Big 10, yet there is not a whiff of such a move. That is simply incredible loyalty.

The Big East, on the other hand, has always hated each other. Pitt and Syracuse left for what may have been less money than they would have gotten if they had stayed. We will never no for sure, but financially, it was not a slam dunk. WVU was scrambling to get out long before they got a lifeline from the Big 12, despite having been very successful in the Big East. UConn has been as much a part of the problem as anyone. There isn't a single Big East school that would stick around if they could make an extra $1MM a year somewhere else.

Establishing that bond of trust and loyalty in working toward a common goal, has been priority #1 for Marinatto since last September. I think it's working. That bond was there in the beginning and for a long time in teh bigeast. There's nothing wrong with competiting interests in a group, as long as the bond of working toward a common goal exists - it's actually beneficial. It takes a leader that will direct that goal though, and we didn't have it, and Marinatto is too little, too late, and he recognized it. Mike Tranghese is still in the media talking about how he thinks the basketball schools should split from football....I wish I knew what it was about that guy that makes him despise football so much, because if he had been the leader the conference needed, the big east would be by far the most powerful athletic confernce in the country, a long time running, but in turn - again, UConn would probably still be in the same football league with Villanova. Good with the bad.

That bond started eroding in the Big EAs was lost, sometime in 2002, when Miami decided that they would be better off with a southern league, right after they won a national championship and the media dumped on it, and the big east leadership was more concerned about St. John's putting names on the back of their basketball jerseys. In 2003, the league members were still talking openly and honestly with each other, and the AD at Syracuse was completely sincere in his distain for the direction the big east was taking in meetings, and said that he would resign if expansion went the way the others wanted - and he was good to his word. Leahy at BC openly talked to the other leaders about his desire to move south.

By 2011, the concept of workign together toward a common goal and trust was irrelevant to certain membership in the big east when it came to meeting together and discussing future plans - not UConn though.

AFter that though? UConn was completely open in that the time had come for us to pursue our best interests on our own, whether that would be with the big east or not after that time was TBD, and I believe - my belief only - that presiden'ts herbst actions and statements, last fall, all completely honest and front line, and her actions in pursuing other interests....was the shot across the bow, that finally set the membership of this league in line.

I don't know if anyone is a religious person or not, but I am, in my own way, and I was brought up Catholic, so it's what I know. I did my thing, and it's funny thing about the bible, or whatever you read if you're a religious person, there's always a line in there that sets everything straight.

For me it - was Luke 10:30-37. The story of the beaten and robbed man, and the good samaritan. The appropriateness of that short little story, and the entire history of the big east, astounded me when opened the book and read it. BUt that's just me.

The big east will be loyal to each other, and htey will be honest with each other, and they've got very good leadership to set this thing right.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The football schools will no longer stay loyal. UConn, Cincy, Louisville and Rutgers will jump at the next good offer. Some new football schools could leave before a schedule is ever dreamt of. Marinatto has not developed loyalty, he's simply put together a patchwork conference of girls that haven't been invited to the prom.

The BE teams will not be loyal to each other but I do agree they will be honest with each other

Reaction Score
Loyalty is established in many ways. Having a common goal, and establishing a plan to reach it that involves the participation of every member of a group, is one of those ways. I believe that John Marinatto recognized that he had assembled the group that would have the common goal, but was not capable of establishing the plan, because he's not skilled in the things that need to be done between now and 2013.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
do you agree that there are at least five FB schools who would leave for the first good offer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom