ACC | Page 17 | The Boneyard

ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think some here have forgotten how the proposed ND deal triggered an enormous public backlash. It was never going to happen once the details became known. Any hand-wringing about it is wasted energy.

Yes, it did and it wasn't surprising. The fact that the public was wrong is hardly shocking.

Is everyone's memory really that short? The morning after UConn beat a Notre Dame team so terrible they fired the coach immediately, Edsall was live on the Sunday morning Sportscenter talking about it.

I guess I'm old enough and realistic enough to not view the world through National Flag Blue colored lenses.... but if I want to be considered big time... I'm pretty sure I don't much care about who is selling concessions and the split of the tickets at an NFL stadium when my 10 year old program is playing Notre Dame. I'm just happy to be playing competitive football against Notre Dame. If we are what we think we are, we win the damn games.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'm not saying I agree with that, although 'Insiders' posts are compelling, just that I had no problem with playing the UConn home games in NJ and MA.

I didn't love it, but it wasn't giving me IBS like it was with some folks on this board. That said, it felt like ND was kind of rubbing our face in it when the Foxboro and Meadowlands games weren't even going to be UConn home games.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Is that a fact? Or is it just circumstance that it ended up that way?

Tennessee and Michigan both wanted a higher profile field for the "UConn" side of the H&H. Once UConn signed with Notre Dame, Hathaway apparently said we only do that for ND, so Michigan, whose nuts were already in a ringer over the idea of a MAC team opening the new Big House, caved. Tennessee may have gotten there anyway, because unlike the rest of the SEC, they don't mind playing the occasional road game.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Tennessee and Michigan both wanted a higher profile field for the "UConn" side of the H&H. Once UConn signed with Notre Dame, Hathaway apparently said we only do that for ND, so Michigan, whose nuts were already in a ringer over the idea of a MAC team opening the new Big House, caved. Tennessee may have gotten there anyway, because unlike the rest of the SEC, they don't mind playing the occasional road game.

So it stands to reason that if we went through with the ND deal, we could have had Michigan and Tennessee as well?

Imagine the years where we would have potentially had ND/Michigan or ND/Tennessee on our OOC. Regardless of where the game is played, that's something I would definitely be pumped up for.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure I don't much care about who is selling concessions and the split of the tickets at an NFL stadium when my 10 year old program is playing Notre Dame.
10 year old program? Any alum from before the FBS upgrade would beg to differ.

Reaction Score
This thread has over 36,000 views. That has to be more than the attendance average of the last 3 ACC FB championship games.

Please continue....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
10 year old program? Any alum from before the FBS upgrade would beg to differ.

You guys and your pre-upgrade talk. For the love of God no one cares about 90 years of mediocre or worse football. Here in the reality of 2012, to 99.9% of the population, UConn football started in 2000 or 2003 - take your pick.

Reaction Score
You guys and your pre-upgrade talk. For the love of God no one cares about 90 years of mediocre or worse football. Here in the reality of 2012, to 99.9% of the population, UConn football started in 2000 or 2003 - take your pick.
Bandwagoner.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Butchy, are/were you a big Hartford Colonials fan? UFL: NFL :: 1AA : 1A

Reaction Score
Butchy, are/were you a big Hartford Colonials fan? UFL: NFL :: 1AA : 1A
I did want to go to a game but didn't get the opportunity. I was a casual follower. What an ugly logo they had. I've been to plenty of minor league games. Even a Waterbury Spirit baseball game. Missed out on the Danbury Trashers. They are legendary in minor league hockey lore.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think if I were going to claim checkmate for Nelson, I'd wait for the huge NBC deal he's been predicting forever. You know since he was the one who banged the drum loudest on sticking it to ESPN..... that has worked out splendidly.

I missed your prediction of an ESPN raid of the Big East prior to it happening. And by the way, Pitt and Syracuse both voted to turn down the ESPN deal too, but you know better than everyone.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Wow. For a person with the name "Whaler11", I thought you would understand being a fan during the "mediocre" years...

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I missed your prediction of an ESPN raid of the Big East prior to it happening. And by the way, Pitt and Syracuse both voted to turn down the ESPN deal too, but you know better than everyone.

http://www.friarbasketball.net/2011/09/sports-business-journal-june-article-on.html?m=1

Actually they didn't. Georgetown, Notre Dame, Seton Hall and Rutgers did according to this link. Granted its only a Provy bball blog but it's better than anything you can provide.

Edit actually it's an excerpt from Sports Business Journal so it actually is from a credible source- even better.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
http://www.friarbasketball.net/2011/09/sports-business-journal-june-article-on.html?m=1

Actually they didn't. Georgetown, Notre Dame, Seton Hall and Rutgers did according to this link. Granted its only a Provy bball blog but it's better than anything you can provide.

Edit actually it's an excerpt from Sports Business Journal so it actually is from a credible source- even better.

READ YOUR OWN LINK SKIPPY. The vote against the deal was UNANIMOUS and only took 15 minutes. And Pitt and WVU were among the earliest opponents.

If you are going to play "gotcha" with me, you shouldn't be so colossally wrong about it.

Reaction Score
Bandwagoner? Yes. Know what else he is? 99% of the fanbase.

Stop preaching.
99% of alumni didn't graduate after 2000. Disrespect the players who shed blood, sweat, and tears so that "99%" can have fun in their own little bubble. Typical.

Good thing the universities are more intelligent than "99%" of the fanbases and acknowledge every game played and every player who ever played for the schools. Going by this stupid logic, UMass just got started in college football. And URI has no football program. Didn't we play URI recently? Or was that some phantom team?

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
One day, I will buckle down and read this entire thread from stem to stern.

I'll have to hurry though: looks like it's already taking on water...

MattMang23

Reaction Score
READ YOUR OWN LINK SKIPPY. The vote against the deal was UNANIMOUS and only took 15 minutes. And Pitt and WVU were among the earliest opponents.

If you are going to play "gotcha" with me, you shouldn't be so colossally wrong about it.

I did. You are referencing the second vote, in which the contract was unanimously rejected. UConn, FWIW, rejected the contract the second time too, as did Pitt and Cuse. So what's with the singling out of those two schools? Why aren't you mad at UConn? After all, we voted on the same side as Pitt and Cuse both times.

Edit- Pitt was not one of the earliest opponents. They were skeptical but voted for it, as did WVU. Read the link, Nelson, or at least interpret it how it's written, not as how you'd like it to be written.

Reaction Score
Wow. For a person with the name "Whaler11", I thought you would understand being a fan during the "mediocre" years...
The name "failure11" might be more fitting.

Reaction Score

This thread jumped the shark back around page 22 or 23 (which is a pretty good run) ....and yet I keep clicking on it hoping there will be one more good episode.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Funny. Ive misses one home game since 1999. I have a framed chunk of grass i took from Memorial after the last game.

I went to Delaware UMass URI plenty. I understand that the people who weren't there don't care. I loved going to those games but im in a pretty distinct minority.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I have to keep checking it daily, otherwise I'll have 7 pages to catch up on all at once.

Reaction Score

Chief of the Boat....blow the tanks and get a bilge party together. Let's go up for some dirty air.

ACC sucks.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The name "failure11" might be more fitting.

I do continue to be puzzled why there is a pretty good amount of Uconn fans who hate the Whalers. They certainly stunk, but that doesnt seem to be the reason. Care to enlighten me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom