ACC wants UConn if ND comes too | The Boneyard

ACC wants UConn if ND comes too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So, what you're saying is, if I can get the original members of Guns 'n Roses to play too, that you really want my band to play at your party? Awesome!

Reaction Score
UConn blog article interpreted the words wrong. The article does not say the ACC won't take UConn if ND doesn't come to, it says: A source close to the ACC told Kevin Nathan that the ACC wants UConn and Notre Dame and likely won't make a move on the Huskies until the Irish commit either way. Key words there are until the Irish commit either way, not wants UConn and ND, and won't make a move if ND declines. I read it as, if true, they want UConn, but are waiting to see what ND decides.

Reaction Score
Only way the ACC gets Notre Dame is they have to destroy the big East. It's a catch 22. Big 12 is staying put Big 10 is staying put. ACC can't get Notre Dame becasue they are not going to budge unles they have to. thus the ACC must complete the process because nobody else will. the only other move left might be WVU to the SEC. or SEC takes an ACC team. But unless the ACC grabs another Big East team Notre Dame stays put.

Reaction Score
UConn blog article interpreted the words wrong. The article does not say the ACC won't take UConn if ND doesn't come to, it says: A source close to the ACC told Kevin Nathan that the ACC wants UConn and Notre Dame and likely won't make a move on the Huskies until the Irish commit either way. Key words there are until the Irish commit either way, not wants UConn and ND, and won't make a move if ND declines. I read it as, if true, they want UConn, but are waiting to see what ND decides.

+1

Thats how I read it as well

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Only way the ACC gets Notre Dame is they have to destroy the big East. It's a catch 22. Big 12 is staying put Big 10 is staying put. ACC can't get Notre Dame becasue they are not going to budge unles they have to. thus the ACC must complete the process because nobody else will. the only other move left might be WVU to the SEC. or SEC takes an ACC team. But unless the ACC grabs another Big East team Notre Dame stays put.

Is it possible Herbst is deliberately destabilizing the Big East to blow it up? High risk strategy if she is, but would explain a lot.

Reaction Score
im not sure she needs to do much to blow it up. everyone has one foot out the door no matter what we do.

Reaction Score
Is it possible Herbst is deliberately destabilizing the Big East to blow it up? High risk strategy if she is, but would explain a lot.
If she's received assurances that meet what the article implies--that we're in but not until ND makes up their mind either way--then I would assume she has nothing to lose by destabilizing the Big East. In fact if she wanted ND as her partner over Rutgers, this is exactly what she'd do short of actually saying we're not interested in the BE.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
im not sure she needs to do much to blow it up. everyone has one foot out the door no matter what we do.

5 schools walked out of the Tuesday meeting committed to building the conference. UConn and Rutgers did not.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
5 schools walked out of the Tuesday meeting committed to building the conference. UConn and Rutgers did not.
In other words, UConn and Rutgers refused to lie.

Reaction Score
hopefully Big12 stays together and takes louisville and west virginia which would pretty much end big east for notre dame. the remaining members would be pretty much basketball only schools with not as much ability in non football and basketball sports.

Reaction Score
yeah sure, and if the sec calls oliver luck now that mizzou unbelievably denied them, i'm sure he'll say "no, sorry. i told marinaed at dinner the other night i'd stick with him."

Reaction Score
P
In other words, UConn and Rutgers refused to lie.
Pretty much. I can't see WVU sitting there and saying "you know, if we get Air Force we will all be okay".

I don't think football is in the Big East's future long term. I hope im wrong.

Reaction Score
P
Pretty much. I can't see WVU sitting there and saying "you know, if we get Air Force we will all be okay".

I don't think football is in the Big East's future long term. I hope im wrong.
How can you be wrong? Everyone has one foot out the door. It's just a house of cards at this point. There's nothing to commit to.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I'm not knocking you here, but I just don't understand this one. When the Big East dies, and the Catholic leagues reform into a smaller conference, what's to stop ND from parking its teams with the Catholics and staying independent in football?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If BYU joins the Big 12, expansion momentum will slow way down. The Big 12 is locking up. I don't think Swofford has the votes to make expansion happen if everyone else is sitting tight and the SEC still has an open slot.

Reaction Score
Swofford has the votes for ND. The SEC probably really doesn't like 13 teams. The B1G is still very, very quiet.

Reaction Score
I'm not knocking you here, but I just don't understand this one. When the Big East dies, and the Catholic leagues reform into a smaller conference, what's to stop ND from parking its teams with the Catholics and staying independent in football?
Because the Catholics don't provide the level of competition that ND does, and don't have as many non revenue sports. Because of title 9, for example, ND has to field a lot of women's programs that the Catholics don't. The Catholics have no where near the money to fund non rev sports that ND does. The football schools have a lot more going on in the non revenue side than the Catholics do, and have more money and more facilities. This is a known problem for ND, that we solve for them by staying with them. And I love ND. I just love CT more, and we have to break away from the onlies now. And ND.

Reaction Score
Perception: It's the very fabric of Notre Dame's being. If the Catholic schools reform & say add Xavier & Butler,, this league would be viewed by the general public as A-10 level & not on a par with the major conferences. Also, Notre Dame's various sports would be without their biggest rivals. Look at women's hoops: Notre Dame vs. UConn or Rutgers is history & noone else matters. Notre Dame in men's hoops would only have 'Nova & G'Town to look forward to, but be without UConn, Pitt, 'Cuse, WVU, & Louisville. Really, are you going to sell tickets to the Catholic League?

Reaction Score
Perception: It's the very fabric of Notre Dame's being. If the Catholic schools reform & say add Xavier & Butler,, this league would be viewed by the general public as A-10 level & not on a par with the major conferences. Also, Notre Dame's various sports would be without their biggest rivals. Look at women's hoops: Notre Dame vs. UConn or Rutgers is history & noone else matters. Notre Dame in men's hoops would only have 'Nova & G'Town to look forward to, but be without UConn, Pitt, 'Cuse, WVU, & Louisville. Really, are you going to sell tickets to the Catholic League?
But that's only the biggest non-revs. What about track, baseball, rowing, lacrosse, I don't know, all the rest. ND has one of the most complete athletic departments in the country. I know these sports are not the most important in the world, but you do have to have someone for them to play against . . .

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If she's received assurances that meet what the article implies--that we're in but not until ND makes up their mind either way--then I would assume she has nothing to lose by destabilizing the Big East. In fact if she wanted ND as her partner over Rutgers, this is exactly what she'd do short of actually saying we're not interested in the BE.

UConn would be idiotic to trust Swofford on anything. He wants UConn to destabilize the Big East so it goes away and he doesn't have to add anyone.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I don't trust Swofford either, perhaps for different reasons though. I'd still be talking to the B1G and the Big 12. I'd even call on the SEC just so no stone is left unturned. If the SEC sits at 13 why wouldn't they consider Rutgers and UConn and use WVA as a geographic bridge to the NYC/NE market.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't trust Swofford either, perhaps for different reasons though. I'd still be talking to the B1G and the Big 12. I'd even call on the SEC just so no stone is left unturned. If the SEC sits at 13 why wouldn't they consider Rutgers and UConn and use WVA as a geographic bridge to the NYC/NE market.

All those leagues know UConn exists. If they are interested in UConn, they would have called by now given UConn would be pretty receptive. I am not against backchannel discussions, but there is no reason to count on some other BCS league coming to our rescue. There is about a 5% chance it is happening, and it is more likely to happen if UConn is a member of a strong, vibrant, Big East.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
All those leagues know UConn exists. If they are interested in UConn, they would have called by now given UConn would be pretty receptive. I am not against backchannel discussions, but there is no reason to count on some other BCS league coming to our rescue. There is about a 5% chance it is happening, and it is more likely to happen if UConn is a member of a strong, vibrant, Big East.

I don't agree. The ACC made it's move because they believed the Big 12 was breaking up. They offered two clubs that were primed to jump. I believe the ACC is interested in UConn too, but weren't offering because they don't want make an offer for one school without offering another, ie: with ND or more likely RU.

Had the ACC known that that the Big 12 was going to stay together I don't think they would have felt compelled to offer Pitt and the Cuse right now. Had the Big 12 collapsed, it would have been a race to snap up the desired schools with an eye to expanding the geographic footprint. Pitt and SU were deemed to be considered as viable options for the B1G, so they went first. The only reason UConn is left standing is because it's only natural partner (besides ND, I guess) is Rutgers which isn't as highly desired.

A strong, vibrant Big East is a pipe dream. The football schools have been behind the eight ball because they have tried to hang with the non football schools. It has been a mistake and will continue to be a mistake going forward. UConn has options. No, we can't write our own ticket but the only reason we aren't already snapped up is because we don't have a strong partner that we are paired with.

Reaction Score
UConn would be idiotic to trust Swofford on anything. He wants UConn to destabilize the Big East so it goes away and he doesn't have to add anyone.
It isn't UConn or Herbst that has destabilized the Big East. Perhaps Oliver Luck should go public again about the SEC. Or the RU contingent should speak out loud about what a mutual great fit it is between them and the Big 10. If Herbst personally told every president in the Big East, that UConn was staying, that would not keep ANY one of them from leaving themselves if ANY other BCS league came calling, including the Big 12. You think the Big East football schools are excited about the service academies and East Carolina? Every one is just buying time, and why I think they are going to play tough with PItt and SU regarding the 27 month exit notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom