ACC votes to add Stanford, Cal, SMU: Conference presidents approve expansion to 18 schools | Page 24 | The Boneyard

ACC votes to add Stanford, Cal, SMU: Conference presidents approve expansion to 18 schools

Reaction Score
Tulane? Yes, New Orleans is a decent TV market and an outstanding LSU football market, but who is watching Tulane in football, much less any other sport? The ACC made that mistake with BC (and to a lesser extent, Syracuse) by assuming the primary private school in a major market brings eyeballs. Even ignoring competition with the state U, I'll bet Tulane wouldn't get a higher rating in its home market opposite virtually any SEC game - maybe if they were playing FSU or Clemson (which wouldn't happen because if FSU and Clemson are still in the ACC then Tulane isn't getting in) and the competition was Vandy against Mizzou or SC, but that's about it.
Clemson’s home market (Greenville - Spartanburg) is the 37th largest market. Tulane’s ( New Orleans) is only ranked 50th. Plus, Clemson has large fanbases and market appeal in Atlanta and Charlotte which it lies between geographically. It lies in the middle of the densely populated “Charlanta “ corridor along I 85

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Northeast teams (SU, Pitt, RU & BC) all got in because of their TV markets. There would be no ACCN without BC, Pitt & SU. That was/is the problem with the Big 12, not enough top TV markets, thus no Big 12 network.

Reaction Score
The Northeast teams (SU, Pitt, RU & BC) all got in because of their TV markets. There would be no ACCN without BC, Pitt & SU. That was/is the problem with the Big 12, not enough top TV markets, thus no Big 12 network

Reaction Score
Clemson’s home market (Greenville - Spartanburg) is the 37th largest market. Tulane’s ( New Orleans) is only ranked 50th. Plus, Clemson has large fanbases and market appeal in Atlanta and Charlotte which it lies between geographically. It lies in the middle of the densely populated “Charlanta “ corridor along I 85

Nobody cares about the market Clemson delivers. It’s a reasonable national brand that pulls in viewers across the nation.

Reaction Score
The Northeast teams (SU, Pitt, RU & BC) all got in because of their TV markets. There would be no ACCN without BC, Pitt & SU. That was/is the problem with the Big 12, not enough top TV markets, thus no Big 12 network

All three are less than a tenth of the ACC’s value. Rutgers is minnow in the B1G.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Nobody cares about the market Clemson delivers. It’s a reasonable national brand that pulls in viewers across the nation.
That's what gives me rash thinking about our situation. UConn's market may not be hotcakes, but definitely our brand cannot be disputed. Tell me, what kind of brand does Iowa frellin' State have that makes them so much more appealing that they can't be heightened by playing UConn? I'm sure Cyclone diehards will tune in when they play the Sun Devils, but imagine how many more eyes would watch them if they played UConn (admittedly this is written from a bball slant, a football match would be ho-hum given our recent performance), but the point is as a brand UConn has value, so the B12 vacillating on taking us is giving me agita.

Reaction Score
That's what gives me rash thinking about our situation. UConn's market may not be hotcakes, but definitely our brand cannot be disputed. Tell me, what kind of brand does Iowa frellin' State have that makes them so much more appealing that they can't be heightened by playing UConn? I'm sure Cyclone diehards will tune in when they play the Sun Devils, but imagine how many more eyes would watch them if they played UConn (admittedly this is written from a bball slant, a football match would be ho-hum given our recent performance), but the point is as a brand UConn has value, so the B12 vacillating on taking us is giving me agita.

Iowa State is in the club. Life isn’t fair.

We needed to spend like a drunken sailor on football in the early 2010s but instead we went into caretaker mode.

It took an insane amount of effort to get us to where we were. Pasqualoni didn’t know how to or want to put the work in.

Reaction Score
Iowa State is in the club. Life isn’t fair.

We needed to spend like a drunken sailor on football in the early 2010s but instead we went into caretaker mode.

It took an insane amount of effort to get us to where we were. Pasqualoni didn’t know how to or want to put the work in.
Yes, they are “in the club” and that perhaps is not fair because nobody gets demoted (until Oregon State and Wazzu.) However, they average around 60,000 in football attendance! That is quite respectable P-4 level fan support - in the top 25.!

Reaction Score
Once you reach the acceptance stage, you will feel better

Reaction Score
Yes, they are “in the club” and that perhaps is not fair because nobody gets demoted (until Oregon State and Wazzu.) However, they average around 60,000 in football attendance! That is quite respectable P-4 level fan support - in the top 25.!
That extra $35m a year sure must help with fan excitement

Reaction Score

And they have the reach of an armless man. And basically a captive audience with no pro sports surrounded by cornpone mouthbreathers with nothing else going on.

Reaction Score
And they have the reach of an armless man. And basically a captive audience with no pro sports surrounded by cornpone mouthbreathers with nothing else going on.
“cornpone mouth breathers.” How endearing is that turn of phrase.

Reaction Score
ISU averages 60k for football, 14k for men's basketball, & 10k for women's basketball. It has an enrollment of 30+ and was a founding member of the Big 8. "Corn pone mouth breathers" & "nothing else to do" is just an attempt by you to cope. The reality is that on a football/basketball game day there are other things to do, they're just not as important. There are only so many game days a year.

KryHavok

Reaction Score
Once you reach the acceptance stage, you will feel better
Ah, so you're telling me accepting our doom is like a warm blanket...I'll remember that.;):D

Reaction Score
ISU averages 60k for football, 14k for men's basketball, & 10k for women's basketball. It has an enrollment of 30+ and was a founding member of the Big 8. "Corn pone mouth breathers" & "nothing else to do" is just an attempt by you to cope. The reality is that on a football/basketball game day there are other things to do, they're just not as important. There are only so many game days a year.

It’s not a cope.

There is literally nothing else to do there but watch Iowa State, Iowa and get fat on bad gas station pizza. It’s the very definition of a captive audience. It speaks nothing to it’s greatness.

Reaction Score
That extra $35m a year sure must help with fan excitement
Any school can or fan base can say this. When it became clear O'leary lost his fastball at UCF, they quickly moved on from him for a winner. We moved on from Diaco to a loser and let him drive this thing completely off the road with historic level terrible results.

We were in the BCS club and got rug pulled. We never pivoted.

Reaction Score
It’s not a cope.

There is literally nothing else to do there but watch Iowa State, Iowa and get fat on bad gas station pizza. It’s the very definition of a captive audience. It speaks nothing to it’s greatness.
Whatever is or isn't the drivers of attendance, we'd be more than happy with those numbers across the big three sports.

Reaction Score
If Iowa State averages 60k per game, I wonder what the average drive time is. People have to come from far away. I'm always interested in the history of stadiums.

Reaction Score
If Iowa State averages 60k per game, I wonder what the average drive time is. People have to come from far away. I'm always interested in the history of stadiums.

Drive time is distance x congestion. Roads in Iowa are not congested. Also depends on the sport and time of game

I would say that in a South Carolina ( with big attendance) drive time of two hours is considered nothing for Saturday football. Basically, the whole state can do that. Driving 2 hours in basketball on weeknights is burdensome.

I Salute Iowa State for their attendance. Like us, loyal fans with an empty trophy case in football

Reaction Score
Any school can or fan base can say this. When it became clear O'leary lost his fastball at UCF, they quickly moved on from him for a winner. We moved on from Diaco to a loser and let him drive this thing completely off the road with historic level terrible results.

We were in the BCS club and got rug pulled. We never pivoted.
$35m per year helps.

Why isn't this obvious?

Reaction Score

If UConn basketball is worth 12-13 million in the Big East
What’s it worth in a power conference?

Reactions: TKs

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What makes you believe that UConn basketball is worth 12-13 million in the Big East?

KryHavok

Reaction Score
Apparently Pop, we ain't worth squat, unfortunately...or at least not worth as much we'd like to be valued at. CR is more cutthroat than Game of Thrones. I feel we're like Kenny in South Park, they keep bringing us up just to kill our hopes over and over and over like a South Park/Groundhog Day/Game of Thrones mindless trilogy.

Reaction Score
The new BE Media contract is estimated to be $85-100 million a year…. Split 11 ways.

Reaction Score
More than Duke can attribute to BB if is truly 20 percent of the payout

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpio1

Top Bottom