ACC replacement list: UConn, USF, Memphis, Tulane, Washington State, Oregon State | Page 10 | The Boneyard

ACC replacement list: UConn, USF, Memphis, Tulane, Washington State, Oregon State

Reaction Score
So it’s leaked to a message board and that’s the first the basketball coach hears of it. Okay.
1713123206016.jpeg

Attachments

• 1713123089146.jpeg
    1713123089146.jpeg
    597.7 KB · Views: 59
Reaction Score
So it’s leaked to a message board and that’s the first the basketball coach hears of it. Okay. View attachment 99652
Hurley said it was not guaranteed to him by Benedict and Herbst.

"When Hurley was hired a year ago at UConn from Rhode Island, he said there were no promises made to him by President Susan Herbst and the administration that UConn would ultimately re-join the Big East. Yet the rumors have been flying ever since the school left with the other football schools in 2013.

"I wanted to be the coach at UConn regardless," he said. "That had been a dream of mine my whole coaching career, is to be the head coach here. I had hoped it would happen. When I first met with [AD] Dave Benedict and President Herbst, they made it clear to me that it might not, and take this job with the understanding that you could very well be in the American and don't take it based on rumors that we could be relocating."

Reaction Score
Hurley said it was not guaranteed to him by Benedict and Herbst.

"When Hurley was hired a year ago at UConn from Rhode Island, he said there were no promises made to him by President Susan Herbst and the administration that UConn would ultimately re-join the Big East. Yet the rumors have been flying ever since the school left with the other football schools in 2013.

"I wanted to be the coach at UConn regardless," he said. "That had been a dream of mine my whole coaching career, is to be the head coach here. I had hoped it would happen. When I first met with [AD] Dave Benedict and President Herbst, they made it clear to me that it might not, and take this job with the understanding that you could very well be in the American and don't take it based on rumors that we could be relocating."

Okay. So my original statement was returning to the Big East rejuvenated our brand and Coach Hurley said it enhances our chances to contend for ncaa titles.

Reaction Score
Okay. So my original statement was returning to the Big East rejuvenated our brand and Coach Hurley said it enhances our chances to contend for ncaa titles.

Hurley: UConn Would Be Powerhouse Even Without a Return to the Big East​

But when Front Office Sports asked whether his program would have reached this level of dominance if it hadn’t rejoined the Big East, he leaned forward into the microphone and said, “Absolutely.”

“We would be where we were regardless.”

Hurley acknowledged that the move “certainly helped,” and he’s made plenty of comments suggesting he’s much happier with UConn in its current conference than its former one. The Big East’s intense competition really kept the team sharp—Hurley likened the Huskies’ journey to that of Kelvin Sampson and Houston, who moved from the AAC to the Big 12 just this year and led the Cougars to a conference title and Sweet 16 berth.

But the 2024 Naismith National Coach of the Year said that by the time ’20 rolled around, the program was already recruiting “at a very, very high level.” He also said they had the “best staff in the country” at the time.

https://frontofficesports.com/hurley-uconn-would-be-powerhouse-even-withoueturn-to-the-big-east/

Reaction Score
I kind of feel that way (re: BC), but honestly, at this point I'd love to just absorb all the remnants of the ACC and improve the BE. Maybe we hold BC in the wind for a month or two and publicly embarrass them before letting them in
BC can join the Patriot League, if that league will have them.

They bring nothing, and I never want to play them again in any sport.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
BC can join the Patriot League, if that league will have them.

They bring nothing, and I never want to play them again in any sport.
I'm okay with hockey since they are in Hockey East with us.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

There is NO way Hurley comes here unless he was confident UConn was joining the Big East. Maybe nothing was guaranteed, but the move was in the works.

Reaction Score
There is NO way Hurley comes here unless he was confident UConn was joining the Big East. Maybe nothing was guaranteed, but the move was in the works.
LOL! Don’t be silly. You NEWBIE fanboys are a riot. Because the coach at Rhode Island would never leave for a job with a 4 time NCAA champion. Houston also got to the Final Four in 2021 and the Elite 8 in 2022 out of the AAC. And FWIW, he wasn’t getting the Pitt job, so don’t go there. But you don’t turn down a major job because of the league unless you are in the NBA. Nobody would have turned it down and Dan Hurley wouldn’t have. It is a what have you done for me lately business. All it takes is one down year at Rhody and a big year by someone else and You could well be an A-10 coach forever.

Reaction Score

Hurley and Mora were sold the same vision (different conferences) Hurley's worked out to perfection. Mora's hit a brick wall

Reaction Score
Hurley and Mora were sold the same vision (different conferences) Hurley's worked out to perfection. Mora's hit a brick wall
A little bit. I don't know what was in play at the time but Hurley was a big boy and knows the odds on a situation. Same with mora. The b12 thing wasn't a hope on anybodys radar when mora got here so I'd say mora had less promise

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom